Who Makes The Best HM 5w30 /10w30 Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Nobody's mentioned Conoco-Phillips, Chevron, or Citgo.

Good 2nd Tier oils that get the job done like MaxLife, but do not have the higher quality basestocks like Mobil or Pennzoil in synthetic HM formulas.

Good answer. Same applies today as it did three YEARS ago when this thread started.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Nobody's mentioned Conoco-Phillips, Chevron, or Citgo.

Good 2nd Tier oils that get the job done like MaxLife, but do not have the higher quality basestocks like Mobil or Pennzoil in synthetic HM formulas.

I have used Maxlife, Defy and Mobil 1 HM many times in a lot of different vehicles but I now lean towards PYB HM... It just seems to work as good or better then the others. It has slowed minor leaks better and the vehicles seem to run a little smoother. No idea why it seems better then the others but PYB HM now gets my vote.

Compare and contrast these high mileage oils:

Castrol GTX HM
Valvoline Maxlife HM (red bottle synthetic blend)
Pennzoil HM
Mobil 1 HM

Which out these would you all say is "best"? And why? I'd love to hear from members here who've used any/all of these and your experiences with them.

Ive used defy in my older sport trac(2003 w/190000miles) with great results. Used mobil super high mileage in the kids 1999 ranger with over 204,000. Am now using castrol gtx high mileage. What im getting at is all these high mileage oils seem to run smooth and do well. Id probably get whats cheapest...and for the record defy was my fav(probably the cheapest of the group).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Compare and contrast these high mileage oils:

Castrol GTX HM
Valvoline Maxlife HM (red bottle synthetic blend)
Pennzoil HM
Mobil 1 HM

Which out these would you all say is "best"? And why? I'd love to hear from members here who've used any/all of these and your experiences with them.

VWB has very good UOAs so I would say Maxlife.

Also noticed GTX HM is now resource conserving, I think that only leaves Penn HM, M1 HM and Defy with higher viscosity.

Originally Posted By: raider23

Also noticed GTX HM is now resource conserving, I think that only leaves Penn HM, M1 HM and Defy with higher viscosity.

It has been that way a couple years, but they have published specs since then that still show it to be high in kinematic viscosity. I don't understand how they do it. There may be a friction component in Resource Conserving they are somehow meeting anyway but I don't get it.

Castrol's spec sheets are so bad it's hard to know what is really the truth.

Thanks for the correction KCJeep.

5w-30 List 100c at 11.7 and a minimum 2.9 HTHS. I don't like how BP uses all the minimums and maximums in their product data. It would have to be close to that though to get resource conserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back