Who Makes The Best HM 5w30 /10w30 Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
valvoline maxlife nex gen...i was a believer when i saw no debris on my magnetic drain plug...

Wouldnt that have more to do with the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
My choice is quaker state defy every day 14.89 for 5 quart jug at walmart :), I already made up my mind and plant to stick with that oil on all my car for ever.

Cant wait for some one to put an UOA on it.

How did you make up your mind?

all my car is over 100k miles, and all running 10w30 oil weight. stick with 1 oil and 1 weight, so I can top off any of my car :), and all my car running motorcraft oil filter and now walmart also carry puralator oil filter too, 1 shop stop for oil and filter :), i like keep it simple
smile.gif

I like this
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doc Holiday
Looking at HM oils, I've noticed that now Castrol and VA Maxlife now earn the energy conserving labels. Most HM oils do not. Hmmm.

Yes, it's strange. Up here, our Mobil HM blend has had that for a very long time. A high mileage vehicle should be out of warranty, so the certification should not be an issue. Then again, if some people don't think it's the appropriate oil (no matter how many miles they have), they won't touch it. And I'm sure that the oil companies don't mind selling HM oil for new cars, either, from a financial perspective.

I decided to try the Pennzoil HM due to a small leak. The leak stopped and my truck runs nice and quiet. Doesn't burn a drop between my 5k OCI. I looked at a UOA on it and it looks a lot like PYB as far as the add pack. Im sticking with it.

Originally Posted By: Doc Holiday
Looking at HM oils, I've noticed that now Castrol and VA Maxlife now earn the energy conserving labels. Most HM oils do not. Hmmm.

I've found the exact opposite. I've only seen defy without the resource conserving stamp.
As far as hm oils I've used defy. It was creat in my hemi however I've never seen any of them on sale or on rollback,so if I've got a leaker I use liqui-moly motor oil saver. It has never let me down yet in any leaker I've used it in.
Since in the past few years the most I've paid for a jug of oil was the 15 jugs of ultra for 28 bucks each I can add a can of motor oil saver and it still ends up on par or less then buying a hm oil,and track record is 100% for me in my experience.
And since I've got enough stock to make the oil sands jealous I'm not buying any more until ultra gets closed out.
So its motor oil saver for me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've found the exact opposite. I've only seen defy without the resource conserving stamp.

I did see some Pennzoil HM some time ago (i.e. well over a year ago) that had no API donut or starburst of any sort. I don't know if it was a misprint or if the HM was genuinely uncertified at the time. I don't recall what the MaxLife in my garage says, but that's some pretty old MaxLife.

For 3 summers/OCI's in a row, I used Valvoline MaxLife in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 which had/has some leaks/drips coming from various places and...leaving oil on the garage floor/driveway.

For the last 2 summers/OCI's(including this summer), I have used QS DEFY and now the leaks/drips have stopped although it's still damp under the chassis from where the oil was coming from(which I have since wiped down with a rag).

NOW, does this mean that the QS DEFY is better at stopping leaks/drips than MaxLife?

NO! It means that the MaxLife did most of the work and now, the QS DEFY is taking the credit for stopping(or slowing down) the leaks/drips.

It's really hard to say, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
who makes in your opinion the best high mileage oil, and why?
I have used Valvoline,Pennzoil And Quaker Whatever is on sale

All major brand HM oils will perform well, I just put Mobil Super HM 10w 30 in my wife's 2007 Pontiac Vibe when it recently hit 100k. That's that the quietest it has ever run, going to put it in my 2001 Monte Carlo on it's next OC.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is the best. The 20/30 grades are still SL and non-ILSAC because of the extra ZDDP which is severely limited in the SN spec for lighter oils. (Note that M1 HM 10w40 *is* SN because the heavy stuff is allowed to have more ZDDP) (Also note that Mobil Super high mileage is SN/RC GF-5 for its 20 and 30 grades and is a synthetic blend)

The only other synthetic high mileage oil is Maxlife full synthetic. Maxlife was the first HM oil and is still a great product. Even the blends meet ACEA standards, and the Maxlife synblend 5w30 is the only non-full-synthetic to meet ACEA A5. Unfortunately Valvoline recently retooled the formula to make it meet SN/RC GF-5 which means they thinned it out and less ZDDP. But it is still a good product, in both full synthetic and synthetic blend forms.

I was curious what everyone used when i asked this question like i stated in earlier posts pennzoil hm is my go to hm oil..

Mobil 1 HM oils and their 0W-40 have similar robust additive packages, so I give the edge to Mobil over other brands. As for extra seal conditioners, MaxLife and Pennzoil HM are excellent too, but I give the overall nod to Mobil for a more viscous oil and stout blend of additives.

I use 5W30 Mobil 1 HM in my '97 Ford F-250HD with a 460 because it's SL rated and has a higher level of ZDDP, which I've read is preferred as my 460 has a flat tappet cam.

I've used 5W30 Pennzoil HM conventional in my other 2 older vehicles, and my butt dyno had no complaints.

I've since switched to 5W30 PP in those 2 vehicles.

Before I found BITOG, all 3 vehicles ran on either 5W30 or 10w30 Valvoline WB, Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, Quaker State GB, and Pennzoil YB, (whichever was cheapest at my local Walmart) and changed every 3000 miles.

GTX High Mileage now says on the label,"Lower phosphorous to help protect emissions system" or something like that. The 20W50 doesn't say that. Did they boost any of the other additives if they lowered the phosphorous or would that be unnecessary?

Copied and pasted this off their website:

Catalytic converter failure is one of the most common – and costliest – problems faced by higher mileage vehicles. Phosphorus is an industry recognized catalyst poison. All motor oils contain phosphorus as part of the additive package to help prevent engine wear. Castrol GTX High Mileage’s advanced formula is specially formulated with less phosphorus than other leading high mileage and conventional oils; which helps prevent catalytic converter and emission system failure. Castrol GTX High Mileage contains a patented Phosphorus Replacement™ technology that provides unsurpassed protection against sludge, wear and oil burn-off.*

Another vote for Mobil 1 HM + oil filter for $30

for $20 HM oil change + filter, QS Defy , or super mobil HM , havoline HM is also good cheap HM oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GTX High Mileage now says on the label,"Lower phosphorous to help protect emissions system" or something like that. The 20W50 doesn't say that. Did they boost any of the other additives if they lowered the phosphorous or would that be unnecessary?

Copied and pasted this off their website:

Catalytic converter failure is one of the most common – and costliest – problems faced by higher mileage vehicles. Phosphorus is an industry recognized catalyst poison. All motor oils contain phosphorus as part of the additive package to help prevent engine wear. Castrol GTX High Mileage’s advanced formula is specially formulated with less phosphorus than other leading high mileage and conventional oils; which helps prevent catalytic converter and emission system failure. Castrol GTX High Mileage contains a patented Phosphorus Replacement™ technology that provides unsurpassed protection against sludge, wear and oil burn-off.*

Exactly why I picked it for our fairly new to us Chrysler Concorde as the 3.5 is well known for using a little oil. A non-issue for vehicles that don't use oil IMO but I'm sure it will sell Castrol plenty of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back