Sniff Test For New Formula Techron Concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
From past experience, the fuel system cleaners that contained PEA had a distinct "rotten fish" odor. This includes Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane HM, and Amsoil PI (IIRC).

I have never used the old formula Techron which was supposed to have a higher PEA content. However, I did pour one bottle of the new formula Techron into a friend's car today and noticed that the Techron did not have any "rotten fish" smell whatsoever. The liquid had a very light petroleum solvent smell.

Obviously, this is not a scientific test, but my understanding is that the Amines are what give the fuel system cleaner the "rotten fish" smell.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Obviously, this is not a scientific test, but my understanding is that the Amines are what give the fuel system cleaner the "rotten fish" smell.

You are correct about some amines. Some smell like fish, others smell like horse [censored]urine, others a bit like ammonia. Since most PEA cleaners use more than one amine, it's hard to tell by sniffing.

You need to run some of these cleaners in vehicles that have truly dirty carboned up fuel systems not just dirty fuel injectors... I have done it and only BG44K and Redline have worked. Sometimes though you need to run them in two tanks of fuel, back to back, to get results...

Techron, I always had to use two bottles in two straight tanks to clean up a fuel system.

I mix Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner with Pennzoil Marine Synthetic Blend, TC-W3 and the "odor" from my stash of Techron mixed with TC-W3....still smells the same. Maybe my stash of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner is the older, vintage quality Fuel System cleaner and not any newer formulation....still the same smell. Maybe I'm missing something here....since the Chevron does not seem to get better with age like fine wines or Cognac.

My mixture of the two fluids still smells a lot better than when I used WM SuperTech TC-W3....lol....that SuperTech TC-W3 worked great.....once you got by the dreaded smell.

What I noticed recently is that PRI-G has a very similar scent (but stronger) as Evinrude/Johnson TCW-3. Dunno.

You are right Critic. I noticed that when I put Techron in my car last week. I still believe Techron still works. At least my car is better after the Techron dose than before. However, the question is how much better.

I am going to start cutting down my Techron BOGO purchases from AAP now and start stocking up on 3M or Redline when they are on sale.

- Vikas

I'm very happy with the Gumout All In One that I got from Big Lots as well as Walmart.

The Big Lots price of $4 for 20oz that treats 35 gallons is a bargain compared to all the others. It contains the same PEA % as Regane, and is far cheaper per oz of PEA than anything else, including Techron BOGO. It's ideal for a back to back treatment and has done wonders for my cars.

The technology has been around for a while now. If one brand was significantly better than others, their marketing sure as [censored] isn't doing a good job of explaning what that is!

Last edited:
I forgot about Gumout Regane; that is another one I am going to stock up if I find it on sale. Do Big Lots still have them for $4?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I forgot about Gumout Regane; that is another one I am going to stock up if I find it on sale. Do Big Lots still have them for $4?

Online they say the promo is no longer available. Don't know what you'll find in stores though. I picked up 3 x All In One's for $4. Regane was $3.

Kmart has regane HM for a little over $4. I bought one to try out in a 150k camry that's never seen any fuel additive ever (other than whatever is in gasoline).

The Techron I bought 2 months ago has a strong ammonia scent. Some 15 year old Techron I have smells odd, but I wouldn't call it fishy.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Kmart has regane HM for a little over $4. I bought one to try out in a 150k camry that's never seen any fuel additive ever (other than whatever is in gasoline).

Let us know what happens.

To find the Gumout/Regane, non-concentrated, fuel system cleaner at Big Lots is hit or miss. Some have it on the shelf others do not. I stopped at a BL recently and they had Gumout/Regane, Flex-Fuel, fuel system additive in the 6 ounce bottle for $.99. I took 8 bottles and will mix it with TC-W3. I like the empty bottles 6 ounce bottles for my TC-W3 and fuel system cleaner mix.

I might add....I also like the empty small Lucas Fuel cleaner bottles for storing my mixed blend....but not the full bottles.

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Online they say the promo is no longer available. Don't know what you'll find in stores though. I picked up 3 x All In One's for $4. Regane was $3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back