Techron in VERY concentrated form??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted the treat rate here, although I can't find it. It literally said something like one bottle for 0 to 1000 gallons. I'm wondering what it would do it treating something like 100 gallons.

OK - found it.

@HemiMoparGuy1981

You asked the same question over 5 years ago too. I don’t think anyone has ever heard of or seen a 32oz Techron bottle that treats 100gal.

I literally held hundreds of those bottles in my hands, and they sat right next to the normal ones on the AutoZone shelf. Looked very identical, until you read the labeling. One had a treat rate of 1oz/1gal, while other had 1oz per several gallons of treat rate. Unfortunately not many people read the labeling, and always got the one that was a couple dollars cheaper, but also less concentrated. As result - it was a slow seller and is now gone from the shelves of any local parts store. So please stop throwing insults around if you don't know what you're talking about.
"Have a nice day."

I literally held hundreds of those bottles in my hands, and they sat right next to the normal ones on the AutoZone shelf. Looked very identical, until you read the labeling. One had a treat rate of 1oz/1gal, while other had 1oz per several gallons of treat rate. Unfortunately not many people read the labeling, and always got the one that was a couple dollars cheaper, but also less concentrated. As result - it was a slow seller and is now gone from the shelves of any local parts store. So please stop throwing insults around if you don't know what you're talking about.
"Have a nice day."
I’ve been using Techron for years, I couldn’t tell you how many years I’ve been using it. A very long time, such as many others. When it comes to the Techron you dump in your gas tank, there is no “ultra concentrated” version. The Techron concentrate has always been 1oz per 1 gallon of gasoline. There is no “ultra concentrated” or “super concentrated” available to the retail consumer. I’m sorry, but you must have read the label wrong or were looking at a different product.

We’ve established that Techron Marine treats more fuel, as does Redline.

If you can provide a picture of one of those ultra concentrated bottles please do. I’ve never seen it, neither has anyone else, and it’s never been part of Techron’s product portfolio page. So it would be real interesting to understand how the AutoZone store you worked for received such a product.

I’ve been using Techron for years, I couldn’t tell you how many years I’ve been using it. A very long time, such as many others. When it comes to the Techron you dump in your gas tank, there is no “ultra concentrated” version. The Techron concentrate has always been 1oz per 1 gallon of gasoline. There is no “ultra concentrated” or “super concentrated” available to the retail consumer. I’m sorry, but you must have read the label wrong or were looking at a different product.

We’ve established that Techron Marine treats more fuel, as does Redline.

If you can provide a picture of one of those ultra concentrated bottles please do. I’ve never seen it, neither has anyone else, and it’s never been part of Techron’s product portfolio page. So it would be real interesting to understand how the AutoZone store you worked for received such a product.
If you have never seen it, it doesn't mean it didn't exist. You just never looked for it, as the tunnel vision for regular Techron didn't allow it, I guess. The concentrated version is not on the shelves these days, and not available to public, as far as I know. But it was, about 5 years ago. And it was every AutoZone that had it, not just mine. Every single AutoZone, at least in South East of USA, had it on the shelves sitting right next to the regular Techron, regular Techron being the one YOU used and the one that is still available these days. The more concentrated version was $2-$3 dollars more, but because people don't read labels - it didn't sell well, and is now gone in history. It looked nearly identical to the regular Techron, even the same 32oz bottle, just different wording on label and different product inside.

My money says Chevron simply relabeled their "marine" version into (2) flavors - one for marine applications and one in this extra concentrated variety for cars, trucks, etc. It's a 1:10 ratio (ounces:gallon). The tech sheet says "Marine" all over the place but also says:

Recommended for use in: • Gasoline engines including carbureted, two-stroke, four stroke, port or electronic fuel injected and
direct injected engines. Not for aviation. • Engines burning ethanol-blended fuel, such as E10, E15 and E85.

Seems to me they're covering regular vehicles or certainly aren't excluding them. And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most boat owners make every effort they can to avoid using ethanol-added fuel ?

If you have never seen it, it doesn't mean it didn't exist. You just never looked for it, as the tunnel vision for regular Techron didn't allow it, I guess. The concentrated version is not on the shelves these days, and not available to public, as far as I know. But it was, about 5 years ago. And it was every AutoZone that had it, not just mine. Every single AutoZone, at least in South East of USA, had it on the shelves sitting right next to the regular Techron, regular Techron being the one YOU used and the one that is still available these days. The more concentrated version was $2-$3 dollars more, but because people don't read labels - it didn't sell well, and is now gone in history. It looked nearly identical to the regular Techron, even the same 32oz bottle, just different wording on label and different product inside.
I’m classifying this as internet hearsay. If it was 5 years ago that would put us into the 2015-2016 timeframe, which is when Techron began releasing the other Techron varieties, marine, power sports and small engine, high mileage, and then later on Techron D. I regularly visit AutoZone and other parts stores for sale items and never once did I see two 32 oz Techron bottles for different prices. The Gumout Expert Series was the last specially formulated fuel system cleaner for AutoZone, which rolled out in the 2013-2014 time frame.

There is no mention of a Techron “ultra concentrated” version anyway on the internet but here, and the other thread the OP started 6 years ago. This site has thousands of members and not one other member has mentioned anything about an ultra concentrated version. With the amount of users here, many whose side hobby is fuel and oil additives, it’s a bit suspicious that no one has mentioned anything about an ultra concentrated version of Techron.

Redline can treat up to 100 gallons when using it as a “keep clean” regime, says so on the bottle. Techron does not make this claim.

This has devolved into bickering. If it exists, show us a picture or link.

I’ll unlock it in a couple of days, so you can post. But for now, the bickering ends here.

Reactions: Bud
This stuff is crazy, 1oz per 10 gallons of gas. Now that's properly concentrated. A bottle like this will last for 1280 gallons. The stuff OP mentioned had similar concentration levels, but came in a normal black 32oz Techron bottle.

I've seen the SDS, it appears to have a the same amount of PEA as regular Techron concentrate but some additional stabilizers for marine applications, it's intended to just add as much PEA as you'd get in normal top tier Chevron gas as the fuel system cleaner treat rate is intended to be 10x the concentration as regular techron gas. I have several small bottles I got from a walmart screw up, I put an ounce of it in my 5 gallon gas container when we fill up for the season.

Hyundai / Kia sell an 20 ounce bottle of concentrated fuel system cleaner which is used for 1 tank of gas . It's produced by CHEVRON , therefore an higher dose of TECHRON Complete Fuel System cleaner . 1 bottle is $20.84 at Amazon , may as well buy two 10 ounce bottles of TECHRON Complete Fuel System Cleaner for $4.94 each at Walmart .
IMG_6559.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG
IMG_6563.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG

Last edited:
Hyundai / Kia sell an 20 ounce bottle of concentrated fuel system cleaner which is used for 1 tank of gas . It's produced by CHEVRON , therefore an higher dose of TECHRON Complete Fuel System cleaner . 1 bottle is $20.84 at Amazon , may as well buy two 10 ounce bottles of TECHRON Complete Fuel System Cleaner for $4.94 each at Walmart .
The 20oz bottle says it treats 20gal.
This is lower concentration than the 10oz bottle: The 10oz bottle says it treats 15 gal.

Like I said back in post #11 the msds covers a range such that different packaging may have different concerntrations.

Advanced Auto has 20oz bottle for $7.50, which basically ends up being similar in price/treated gal.
Though yes, walmart is still a hair more cost effective.

Amazon can be touch or go whether it is the best price.

up to... is actually what is written on the Chevron Techron labeled bottles...that's like saying your mileage may vary (and often does ;) )... it has been awhile since I looked but I recall Chevron mentioning one ounce per gallon of gasoline is the ratio recommended by them for using Techron... regarding their Complete Fuel System Cleaner, I've never read where Chevron Techron is offered in a more or a less concentrated formula...not even in their formulas sold by GM, BMW or the Hyundai shown above...

Bill

up to... is actually what is written on the Chevron Techron labeled bottles...that's like saying your mileage may vary (and often does ;) )... it has been awhile since I looked but I recall Chevron mentioning one ounce per gallon of gasoline is the ratio recommended by them for using Techron... regarding their Complete Fuel System Cleaner, I've never read where Chevron Techron is offered in a more or a less concentrated formula...not even in their formulas sold by GM, BMW or the Hyundai shown above...

Bill
The techron SDS say 25-35% of 01154100-5179P which I assume is PEA, which wouldn't be a large enough spread to cover the 10oz bottle being 1.5x more concentrated than the 20oz bottle, if the 20oz bottle was 25% then the 10oz bottle would have to be 37.5%, it just looks like the 10oz bottle is suggesting a lower treat rate is still effective.

do you believe that Chevron sells its Techron in a 10oz bottle and that it is more concentrated (has more PEA) than the 20oz bottle yet they don't take advantage of that fact by touting it on their bottle???...I think it is far more likely that the concentration is the same in their bottles no matter the ounces its sold in (they sell larger bottles than 20oz too)

Bill

The techron SDS say 25-35% of 01154100-5179P which I assume is PEA, which wouldn't be a large enough spread to cover the 10oz bottle being 1.5x more concentrated than the 20oz bottle, if the 20oz bottle was 25% then the 10oz bottle would have to be 37.5%, it just looks like the 10oz bottle is suggesting a lower treat rate is still effective.
35/25 = 1.4. There is probably wiggle room on treat rate or they just rounded, because treats up to 14 gal sounds a little more weird than 15.
do you believe that Chevron sells its Techron in a 10oz bottle and that it is more concentrated (has more PEA) than the 20oz bottle yet they don't take advantage of that fact by touting it on their bottle???...I think it is far more likely that the concentration is the same in their bottles no matter the ounces its sold in (they sell larger bottles than 20oz too)
I do believe its possible because Gumout was definately doing this...as evidenced by wider concentration range on MSDS and vastly different treat rates.
Also the 10oz is only available at walmart...Walmart actually pushes vendors to ship less 'filler' to save on shipping weight.
The 10oz is really a better marketed product, how many gas tanks are 20gal? I'd say 95% of tanks are less than 15gal.
So, yes, I believe it, they are capable of selling different concentrated products.
Its not a sure thing, so believe otherwise, you're entitled to it.

Cool, Techron Marine has 25-50%PEA per the MSDS, 1oz. per 10 gal treat rate. 0.045oz PEA/gal treat rate.
Techron Complete does not list PEA, but lists proprietary 25-35%, and 1oz/gal treat rate. 0.3oz PEA/gal????
Regane = 10-30%PEA, 6 oz per 21 gal (1oz/3.5gal) 0.08oz PEA/gal
Redline = 25-30%PEA, 1oz per 3-6gal. similar to Regane PEA/gal

So, Techron Marine takes the cake as most concentrated. My guess its ~45%PEA.
But recommends a lower treat rate than everything else...maybe in line with Redline at the lower recommendation.
The rest are probably similar (25-30%), Regane has been discussed and the wide range is due to different products under same MSDS.
The 6oz bottle is likely 25-30%. The rest they play games with concentration/volume/treat rate.

Oddly techron complete recommends the highest treat rate by far. But don't outright list PEA anymore.
I personally concluded Regane was the product for me. Full bottle to my tank, don't got to worry about dosing half or quarter bottle or 2oz per tank.
I could see using the Techron Marine in my boat.
Sold my boat in December and have a few bottles of Techron Marine left … anyone see a downside to use in a GDI vehicle ? … otherwise it will probably go stale just using in mower gas alone …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back