Question on VW dipstick Range A and B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I did my first oil change on a 2011 Tiguan 2 weeks ago @ 5000 miles. Today, I read in the owner's manual there are 3 range(A,B,C). So I went back and check my oil level again, it's at the top of Range B. In the manual it say if it's in B you can add half quart to bring it in Range A. So is it better to be in Range A or be at the top of Range B? What do you guys usually do? This is my first VW, please pardon my ignorance on this stuff.

Thanks

It really doesn't matter as long as the level doesn't drop below the "C" level range. The instructions are detailed and correct. Just add a half a quart like it says and you'll be good.

It is possible that you might get a tiny bit better MPG in the C or B range.

Lastly my question would be what was the level at when the car is delivered to the dealer? Whatever it was from the factory is where I would keep it.

Unless it is burning oil already... which I hope not, but I too would not fill it anymore than it came from the factory with.

Personally, I prefer keeping the oil level toward the full range (A) but adding oil isn't necessary until you're in C. Personally I would top it up so that it is at the top of the A range.

Doesn't the Tiguan specify 10k mile oil change interval? Why the half-mileage change? VWs have done very well on proper lubricants & filters changed at the factory interval. But a long OCI it's imperative to check the oil level frequently (I check mine at least at every fillup) - it's good that you are doing so.

I've owned two VWs my old 84 Rabbit GTI which I loved, it was stolen with 112k miles on it...I still miss it today! Surprisingly reliable vehicle contrary to the myths about VW.

And my current one, a 97 Golf GL, which has been flawless and only cost basic maintenance to keep going at 120k.

My experience has been that you should follow the manufacturers directions explicitly.

Do NOT take the dealers word for anything without confirming it with VWoA or by looking in the owner's manual, first.

If you follow these tips you will have a very economical and reliable vehicle that lasts for a loooong time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Personally, I prefer keeping the oil level toward the full range (A) but adding oil isn't necessary until you're in C. Personally I would top it up so that it is at the top of the A range.

Doesn't the Tiguan specify 10k mile oil change interval? Why the half-mileage change? VWs have done very well on proper lubricants & filters changed at the factory interval. But a long OCI it's imperative to check the oil level frequently (I check mine at least at every fillup) - it's good that you are doing so.

I did it @5000 miles because I noticed prior to 2009 all TSI 2.0 engines had a recommended OCI of 5000 miles. Then in 2009 VW started to offer 'Care Free Maintenance' program all the sudden the OCI is 10000 miles. So I figure to be on the safe side I will do one every 5000 miles.

BTW, I am so new to this stuff. Thank you guys for all the knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back