when there is no vw 508…

Where are you finding this info? I'm curious what it says about the DKFA variant.

I'm sorry, I only have Euro spec engines on this (DKLx and DKRx, which are both 1.0 TSI, so not NA).
You'd probably need to politely ask a dealer. Any of them have access to ETKA and ELSA. Independent garage can get access to ERWIN ($$ daily) at least in Europe.

Last edited:
Nope. More baseless nonsense to try and support an incorrect assumption.

You’re trying hard I’ll give you that, but you’re just grasping at straws.
So VAG didn’t intend to use 508/509 oil and they specced it by accident?

I hope you Email VAG Engineering Department straight away and inform them of their mistakes.

In the mean time can you confirm you will make good on any possible damage caused to engines where the owner doesn’t use 508/509 based on your opinion and has a lubrication related engine failure?

Or course you won’t

You’re never going to have an oil related failure on an engine that has 508/509 specifications if you maintain correct oil level, change frequency and use any of the current VAG specifications. It’s just not going to happen!

You’re never going to have an oil related failure on an engine that has 508/509 specifications if you maintain correct oil level, change frequency and use any of the current VAG specifications. It’s just not going to happen!
You going to guarantee that for the life of the engine?

In this instance I will stick to VAG specs

Daughters car got one too up of 5w30 and was then given an interim Oil and Filter change of 508/509

I hope you Email VAG Engineering Department straight away and inform them of their mistakes.

In the mean time can you confirm you will make good on any possible damage caused to engines where the owner doesn’t use 508/509 based on your opinion and has a lubrication related engine failure?

Or course you won’t
They "specced" it to comply with their fuel economy requirements, both here in the US and in the EU/UK. Not for any technical or mechanical requirement. It's idiotic to think the engine requires a lower viscosity oil for some mechanical reason.

And as to damage from 504 00 oil, fortunately I read my owner's manual and my warranty book and found no requirement for 508 00. It was a real nail biter for 50,000 miles but somehow I squeaked by. Hopefully not too much damage was done, those poor people in areas where 504 00 or even 502 00 is "specced" for the same engine must live in a real hell from the damage.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Damage. Do you actually believe that?

Or course you won’t
Do you actually read your posts and posts of other people?
How many times people mentioned here what is the reason for going VW508.00/509.00?
If you want to discuss something, at least read other posts, maybe yours too.

You going to guarantee that for the life of the engine?

Daughters car got one too up of 5w30 and was then given an interim Oil and Filter change of 508/509
I am happy to put my money where my mouth is on the vehicles I own.

Im currently running 502 in a LR 3.0 TDV6, 504/507 in two different Ingenium evoque’s and 504/507 in a BMW M57.

You definitely seem to have an opinion that a manufacturer oil spec is the only spec that should be used judging by your previous various posts on BITOG.

How many times people mentioned here what is the reason for going VW508.00/509.00?
I don’t advise people to not use 508/509 as IMHO the 1.5TFSi engine is designed to use 508/509

Maybe you should read what I have been saying in my posts

VAG advise one top up of a non 508/509 oil, a max of 1 litre.

They do that for a reason.

What do you think the reason for that is?

What do you think the use of an additive/dye to allow them to tell if you have used 508/509 is?

What do you think the use of an additive/dye to allow them to tell if you have used 508/509 is?
I’ve already told you the reason for this. It’s emissions. Nothing more.

Explained already twenty times and ways.

Fuel economy standards and only that. And the magic, mysterious dye is to prevent and detect the use in an engine where the low HT/HS of 508 00 oil may and can cause damage. No engine, none, zip and zero engines are damaged by a somewhat higher HT/HS. But they can be damaged by one that’s too low.

Of course this has been explained 20 times too but like the rest it’s just ignored.

Yes they do. So other companies. That is how manuals are written.
This has been discussed her xxxxxx times.
When company gets fuel ratings they cannot write in manual: “once you buy our car, shift to 5W40 bcs. we did it only to get good fuel ratings.”

Start reading other discussions, bcs. no one owes you answers and you are speeding absolute nonsense. What do you think it will happen to that engine once it sees 3 owners and 4th wants to lower oil consumption and puts 15W50? Or Lucas “oil stabilizer?”

Nothing whatsoever in that article about oil specification.
That was just the start. It stated that the actuator solenoids failed to keep the intake camshaft in the proper position.

Then go here:

Because of the low oil pressure, VW started installing a redesigned high volume oil pump on the EA888 to allow use of a thinner oil (ie; 0W-20) to allow for proper actuation pressure on the timing gear.

Good on you. Doesn't mean the rest who believe an oil outside the 508/509 are wrong and will cause harm. Just like there is no known documentation using the 508/509 had caused damaged engines (in recommended applications), the is no known documentation to support using an oil other than 508/509 has caused damaged engines in the same application. (see chart posted by 930engineering for axample)

And asking if someone will support their position by "warrantying" someone else's engine for life because they use an oil other than recommended? Well thats acting like a pillock

That was just the start. It stated that the actuator solenoids failed to keep the intake camshaft in the proper position.

Then go here:

Because of the low oil pressure, VW started installing a redesigned high volume oil pump on the EA888 to allow use of a thinner oil (ie; 0W-20) to allow for proper actuation pressure on the timing gear.
Lol, they had to change design to accommodate the oil.. why not redesign streets so there are less stops and idling, oh yeah, there is idle stop go system in your engine for that.... Lol

Back