Not VW507 certified oil in a VW507 required engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
In Saskatchewan, there should be at least four or five other readily-available oils that will work just as well. From Esso, PetroCan, Shell, for starters. UFA used to sell a good full-synthetic diesel-rated oil under their own label. And there must be others.

Looking at VW's list, about the only one readily available in Saskatchewan would be Castrol Edge. Certainly, there are others that would probably work. However, if one wanted an approved lubricant, that would be about it. Of course, the dealer is always an [expensive] option.

The question was about the BEW engine, aka the PD 100 engine found in the 2004-2005 Jettas, Golfs and New Beetles, I believe. As these vehicles are now out of warranty, it is not necessary to use a VAG 505.01-rated oil. There are many API-rated 5w40 oils, and a few 0w40 ones, that will work as well or even better; and they are relatively easy to find.

In the US, many owners of Volkswagens with this particular TDI engine are using Mobil 1 5w40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w40, with excellent results. Canadians have different choices but not fewer though.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I use my van for hauling freight up to 3000 lbs so mileage is only 16mpg, I use it for making aliving so there is a difference for my use. Mileage is important, but the nature of my business is hauling and really not a pleasure car . Vw is a good product, but way to much trouble for my lifestyle.

Really no trouble at all.

I go to Pep Boys 2 miles from my house and buy M1 Formula M 5w-40.

I have almost 40,000 miles on this oil in my '09 CR TDI and I expect to get many more (unless a better option comes along).

Tim

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim
I use my van for hauling freight up to 3000 lbs so mileage is only 16mpg, I use it for making aliving so there is a difference for my use. Mileage is important, but the nature of my business is hauling and really not a pleasure car . Vw is a good product, but way to much trouble for my lifestyle.

I have almost 40,000 miles on this oil in my '09 CR TDI and I expect to get many more (unless a better option comes along).

3000 pounds exceeds the normal towing capacity of most VW TDIs sold in North America, except for the Touareg. I know people have towed more than 3000 pounds for short distances, or for one-time or emergency situations; but it's probably not a good idea for everyday.

That M1 ESP Formula M is supposed to be an excellent oil for all TDIs after they are out of warranty. If you have access to Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: Tim

3000 pounds exceeds the normal towing capacity of most VW TDIs sold in North America, except for the Touareg. I know people have towed more than 3000 pounds for short distances, or for one-time or emergency situations; but it's probably not a good idea for everyday.

That M1 ESP Formula M is supposed to be an excellent oil for all TDIs after they are out of warranty. If you have access to Pep Boys.

CourrierDriver is the one hauling 3,000 lbs, not me in my TDI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back