Fram Made Microgards now at O Reilly's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks defektes for sticking up for Canada. We do make good stuff, but in this case something is going wrong. Let me explain the recent case of Fram CPH4967 made in Canada. All until about a year ago, I saw the exact copy of the Fram 4967, at quick lube places, and even John Deere riding lawnmower, all made in Canada. Also importantly is the Fram's brother the Defense brand, product DL4967. Marketed by Honeywell Products group (owners of Fram). All of these products were exact copies - exact threaded baseplate and holes, everything. The ones branded Fram were the only ones with the black grippy coating.

About a year ago I noticed the Defense DL4967 boxes a slightly different shade of blue. Upon closer inspection - now made in CHINA. The baseplate also has the holes stamped differently in it - exactly like the the new Microgard 4967. Recently, the made in Canada Fram 4967 also started using the new strange baseplate, just like their new Chinese Honeywell Defense brand brothers, although the Frams still being clearly labeled as made in Canada.

My personal opinion is the new made in Canada Frams are using Chinese parts, and merely assembled in Canada. Or maybe they can simply box them in Canada and call them made in Canada.

yuck..Thanks for that bit of info.. We all know what happens with chinese parts. failed filters...the fram isnt built all that well in the first place but now with chinese parts, oh boy.

My wife is a Canadian citizen (Hungarian by birth). Good people up there. Wasn't bashing the country at all nor the products it makes. I have a Canadian made hunting rifle as my main gun.

I also looked at the box and noticed the old one (puro)listed a 96 percent efficiency, the new ones (fram)are 94.

I think you would be fine with either filter, everyone hates fram construction and there are better filters out there for the price but in reality Fram's do work.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The anti drain-back valve is loose on the new one, it is tight and would seal better on the old one. The security that dirty oil is not going to seep back into my engine is enough reason to complain.

Can you prove it was loose before you cut it open? Because of course it will be after you cut it open but you don't run cut open filters on vehicles.

There it fit poorly into the center tube area and ample side to side movement. Under the pressure of an operating engine, i dont see how it could seal well. Even after I cut the purolator made one open, it exhibited much better fit and exact tolerances.
Sloppy tolerances dont make for a good seal on anything.

Quote:
Does Purolator actually make filters?
Yes they do, in Fayetteville NC. The also make Bosch, Motorcraft, PowerFlo and others. Bosch and Mann+Hummel acquired Purolator from Arvin Mentor in 2006.

But clearly, they no longer make Microguard filters.

welcome2.gif

I too used microgard filtes but the old ones were made in India but the new ones are made in China. I have an Olds Intrigue which has a cartridge only. Makes it easy to see the quality. I immediately noticed the difference. Fewer pleats.

By the way, the Fram for my car is over $10 and only comes available in the cheap orange box version. Main reason I will never use a Fram on my car. I don't have many choices either. Will use STP or Purolator now.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There it fit poorly into the center tube area and ample side to side movement. Under the pressure of an operating engine, i dont see how it could seal well. Even after I cut the purolator made one open, it exhibited much better fit and exact tolerances.
Sloppy tolerances dont make for a good seal on anything.

I work for FRAM as the technical manager. Reading what you are saying, I wonder if you even understand what the antidrainback valve does? When the engine is running, it folds backwards to allow oil flow through the filter. When the engine is not running, it keeps the filter from draining out.
Your FRAM bashing simply has no basis in fact. The old MicroGard filter tests at 88.7% single pass efficiency using ISO 4548-12 testing. The new filter made by FRAM is 94% under the ISO tests. The claims on the previous filter made by Purolater were based on obsolete SAE tests that automakers quit using in 2002. The bottomline that when it comes removing dirt from the oil, the new filter is a better filter. And before you all go on the fiber endcap diatribe, We have used this technology for 25 years without problems, Honda uses it OE, Subaru uses it OE. AC Delco and Champ labs have adopted a felt end cap. I have a OE Bentley filter from a 240,000 Bentley Arnage with, yes a fiber end cap. New Toyota OE filters use only glue to seal the ends of the media. And this is to the guy claims FRAM "nearly" took out his Mopar and did fail his Kawasaki, did you file a quality claim with FRAM on that motorcycle?
If you did, you would be on here telling everyone what a painless process it was with a toll free number, experienced tech answering the phone, complete impartial investigation and FRAM buying you an engine if the filter was indeed defective. Please do not tell me you "didnt want to file a claim". Nobody who is sure of their engine failure being caused by a defective product is willing to eat the cost of an engine and labor because the "didnt want to spend 5 minutes filing a claim".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back