Fram FD16 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was given a Fram Drive FD16. No idea how old it is, and decided to cut it open. Looks decent enough, media was strongly glued to the end caps.

IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg

Have a couple of these sitting around. Normally use then as engine flush filters. The ones i have have has felt endcaps and ecore with a ton of pleats.

Was given a Fram Drive FD16. No idea how old it is, and decided to cut it open. Looks decent enough, media was strongly glued to the end caps.

View attachment 210889View attachment 210890View attachment 210891View attachment 210892View attachment 210893View attachment 210894
Good Morning JeepMan3071,
Great pictures, thank you for sharing. I valued your comment about the strong gluing. What also impressed me was how neat and uniform the gluing is. With no sidewall of a metal endcap one can see how precisely the gluing is controlled. It would be great to see a video of how Fram achieves this.

This Fram Drive is a Fram filter. Most applications of the AAP "Fram" Drive filters have been Champ Labs made filters, like SuperTech ecore line. I expect that hasn't changed. As noted, this one looks equivalent to Extra Guard without the silicone adbv, less cost at WM. Though not a filter I'd purchase, looks ok.

Last edited:
This Fram Drive is a Fram filter. Most applications of the AAP "Fram" Drive filters have been Champ Labs made filters, like SuperTech ecore line. I expect that hasn't changed. As noted, this one looks equivalent to Extra Guard without the silicone adbv, less cost at WM. Though not a filter I'd purchase, looks ok.
Good Morning Sayjac,
I did a little digging on the Fram website on the Drive model. It has a 7,500 mile rating where the Extra Guards are at 10,000 miles. Also there is no Efficiency at Micron rating on the Drive filters. Only a statement "*FRAM Group testing of filter performance of FD8A and FD7317 under ISO4548- 12". I suspect it is lower than the Extra Guards that are at 95% at 20 microns.

For my version the price at AAP is $5.84 on line, $6.49 in store. The Fram Extra Guard is $4.12 at Walmart and Amazon everyday with better life performance. It would be interesting to understand AAPs' marketing rationale to create a unique AAP sku in the opening price point range.

Good Morning JeepMan3071,
Great pictures, thank you for sharing. I valued your comment about the strong gluing. What also impressed me was how neat and uniform the gluing is. With no sidewall of a metal endcap one can see how precisely the gluing is controlled. It would be great to see a video of how Fram achieves this.
I found a video of the Fram factory from 10 years ago. At 3:06 starts the gluing process of the fiber end caps followed by heat to cure the glue. The entire video is very good. The level of automation is incredible.

Great filter for the “just changed the oil” part of the Craigslist sales ad.

Nothing bad, few pleats. But I’d agree with many I probably wouldn’t run it myself.

Thanks for the C+P.

Good Morning Sayjac,
I did a little digging on the Fram website on the Drive model. It has a 7,500 mile rating where the Extra Guards are at 10,000 miles....
The thing here is, as noted most "Fram" Drive are as noted Champ Labs made filters so any specs/ratings they have could be for those. With First Brands, topic FD16 filter 'could' well be an EG (with nitrile adbv thus 7500) by another name. From the standpoint of manufacturing economies of scale that would make sense. Whatever the casetheough, EG by another name with nitrile adbv or specifically made FD element, wouldn't change my purchase opinion.

I found a video of the Fram factory from 10 years ago. At 3:06 starts the gluing process of the fiber end caps followed by heat to cure the glue. The entire video is very good. The level of automation is incredible.

First Brands probably sold that fancy machine for cash, and replaced it with a bare footed juvenile with a tube of glue in his hand. :eek:

First Brands probably sold that fancy machine for cash, and replaced it with a bare footed juvenile with a tube of glue in his hand. :eek:
Another factory video on Fram I found stated that factory produces 500,000 filters per day. That juvenile would need to be pretty fast! :)

The other thing that would be interesting to learn is how that automation handles all the different models, sizes, media, tapping plates etc.

VERY Nice pictures thanks...✅
Second picture to the top right end cap.
It looks like it separated a bit. See if you can peel it...just saying.. This looks like the PH2 I did.
Good catch, that was actually from me pulling on it before taking the pictures.

Champion ecore filters have a nylon plastic center core cage, this filter has the old style steel center core of the original extra guard. The fact that it has a nitrile style ADBV, indicates that this is a clone of an older extra guard design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back