Cut Open: 17 µm Purolator ONE vs 20 µm Fram Titanium

On paper these filters are both outstanding. The Fram Titanium FS3506 filtration efficiency is 99%+ at 20 µm, the Purolator ONE PL14006 is an amazing 99% at 17 µm!

So I bought them both and cut them open to compare their construction:

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9736.jpeg
    IMG_9736.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9733.jpeg
    IMG_9733.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9732.jpeg
    IMG_9732.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9722.jpeg
    IMG_9722.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I had a question, but found the answer in the video.

As for the bypass in the Fram, having it is no big deal. Better to have two than none.

Also, going strictly on appearances (not being able to measure in a video), there is a distinct difference between the area of the center tube holes/louvers in both products, versus the inlet holes in the baseplate. I often chuckle when people make a big deal about "flow" in the inlet holes, when they probably flow WAY more than the holes in the center tubes. I have yet to see any proof that there exists any mechanical restriction in a filter (setting media aside) that would ever cause a problem for any typical engine, at any rpm flow rate.

Last edited:
Video: Looks like a case of chocked down louvers based on the "blow test". How about a couple clear close-up photos of the louvers?

there is a distinct difference between the area of the center tube holes/louvers in both products, versus the inlet holes in the baseplate
On the Fram Titanium there are 8 larger holes on the baseplate and there are 67 smaller holes on the center core.

Way more open area on the center core than the base plate. It’s not even close.

Even tho the core holes are smaller than the base plate holes - there are more than 8 core holes for every base plate hole.
IMG_9758.jpeg

Those louvers don't look too bad, but it's easier to tell from an inside center tube view instead the back side - hard to tell in the video, maybe slightly closed (?). I'm surprised there was that much difference detected in the "blow test".

The louvers would really need to be choked down to small slits before it would make any diffefence to the PD pump. However, choked louvers can definately cause the filter bypass to open sooner than it should due to unnecessary increased dP across the filter.

I often chuckle when people make a big deal about "flow" in the inlet holes, when they probably flow WAY more than the holes in the center tubes.
So I did some math …

The total area of the 67 core holes = approximately 192mm squared

If the 8 Titanium plate holes were 3.07mm circles their total area would be roughly 59mm squared.

The PowerFlow plate holes are tear-like shapes, so their total surface area is a bit greater than 59mm squared … but nowhere near 192mm square total surface area of the core holes.

Just sharing this because in this case the perception that the area of the plate holes far exceeds that of the core holes is incorrect. The exact opposite is actually true.

Attachments

• IMG_9765.jpeg
    IMG_9765.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9763.jpeg
    IMG_9763.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9733.jpeg
    IMG_9733.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9758.jpeg
    IMG_9758.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9764.jpeg
    IMG_9764.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 12
One thing I don't like about the new Endurance filters are those thin slits on the louvers just like in your photo. The Ultra I'm currently running had well open louvers compared to that.

All the louvers I see, look ok to my eye. But yeah, for sure a louver is never going to 'appear' as open as a hole. But then, there's always more louver openings than holes per area of centertube. Camera shots down outlet only show half the openings. Personally I like and follow member @fantastic suggestion this thread when I do c&p filter w/ louvered tube. 'To me' eliminates subjectivity.

As for Fram, more and more now showing up with louvers. It's the First Brands Champ Labs effect, Champ has used louvered tubes for a very long time. Guess I'd say if one is a Fram oil filter buyer/user, get used to it. :)

There seems to be at least three different types of media used on PurolatorOne filters: High efficiency cellulose (17 micron), low efficiency cellulose (40 micron), and "cellulose & synthetic fiber & glass fiber" (26-30 micron).

The highest efficiency media is most restrictive, and the lowest efficiency media is least restrictive and has the highest holding capacity.

I've attached some examples. PL14459 uses 40-micron cellulose media and has by far the lowest restriction. PL14610 (and most other P-One filters) uses 30-micron synthetic blend and has less restriction than the 17-micron PL14006, even with a bit less media area.

Surprisingly, the cellulose media seems to have a better balance of restriction and efficiency than the synthetic blend.

Attachments

• PL14459.jpg
    PL14459.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 31
  • PL14610.jpg
    PL14610.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 31
So I did some math …

The total area of the 67 core holes = approximately 192mm squared

If the 8 Titanium plate holes were 3.07mm circles their total area would be roughly 59mm squared.

The PowerFlow plate holes are tear-like shapes, so their total surface area is a bit greater than 59mm squared … but nowhere near 192mm square total surface area of the core holes.

Just sharing this because in this case the perception that the area of the plate holes far exceeds that of the core holes is incorrect. The exact opposite is actually true.
The key is that both the base plate inlet total hole area, and the center tube total hole area are both equal to or greater than the area of the oil feed hole in the filter mount.

There seems to be at least three different types of media used on PurolatorOne filters: High efficiency cellulose (17 micron), low efficiency cellulose (40 micron), and "cellulose & synthetic fiber & glass fiber" (26-30 micron).

The highest efficiency media is most restrictive, and the lowest efficiency media is least restrictive and has the highest holding capacity.

I've attached some examples. PL14459 uses 40-micron cellulose media and has by far the lowest restriction. PL14610 (and most other P-One filters) uses 30-micron synthetic blend and has less restriction than the 17-micron PL14006, even with a bit less media area.

Surprisingly, the cellulose media seems to have a better balance of restriction and efficiency than the synthetic blend.
My speculation is that the range of efficiencies is going to depend on the size of the filter. The smaller ones will be less efficient, while the larger ones will be more efficient. The smaller ones may require the three blend of media you show, larger ones cellulose.

My speculation is that the range of efficiencies is going to depend on the size of the filter. The smaller ones will be less efficient, while the larger ones will be more efficient. The smaller ones may require the three blend of media you show, larger ones cellulose.
The giant PL30001 Spec Sheet shows less efficiency than the much smaller PL14006.

Back