Purolator 99% Efficiencies Confirmed: Boss @46um, One @30um (PBL24011 / PL24011)

I had heard that the Purolator Boss was really low efficiency 99% @46um, but when I cut the filter open for my exact application PBL24011 it looked sooo good that I was hoping this number was for some other Boss filter and the PBL24011 would be much better - so I emailed Tech Service and they confirmed Boss = 99%@46um and One = 99%@30um:
IMG_7347.jpg

PBL24011 construction quality is outstanding:
IMG_7344.jpeg

And the media is beautiful (both sides):
IMG_7346.jpeg

IMG_7345.jpeg

This is the third set of specs I've seen for pairs of PurolatorOne and Boss filters of various sizes that show the exact same efficiency ratings of 99% at 30 and 46 micron. I'm skeptical that the reference filters that Purolator uses for marketing claims (PL30001 and PBL30001) even meet the claimed specs of 99% at 20 and 25 micron.

So, I was suspicious enough of Purolator's claims that I though I would e-mail them to ask for the test reports for the PL30001 and PBL30001 filters that they use for their marketing claims, and they quickly responded with copies of the test reports, dated May 2023.

And the efficiency ratings are...

PL30001: 99% at 25 micron, 50% at 10 micron
PBL30001: 99% at 46 micron, 50% at 22 micron

They claim 99% at 20 micron for the PurolatorOne and 99% at 25 micron for the Purolator BOSS based on those two exact models of filter. It seems that they may need up update their website.

Attachments

• PL30001.jpg
    PL30001.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 114
  • PBL30001.jpg
    PBL30001.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 113
So, I was suspicious enough of Purolator's claims that I though I would e-mail them to ask for the test reports for the PL30001 and PBL30001 filters that they use for their marketing claims, and they quickly responded with copies of the test reports, dated May 2023.

And the efficiency ratings are...

PL30001: 99% at 25 micron, 50% at 10 micron
PBL30001: 99% at 46 micron, 50% at 22 micron

They claim 99% at 20 micron for the PurolatorOne and 99% at 25 micron for the Purolator BOSS based on those two exact models of filter. It seems that they may need up update their website.
I'm wondering if maybe the media has been changed since M+H bought Purolator. Maybe the 30001 efficiency claim is left over from before M+H got hold of Purolator (?).

I see their spec sheets have the dP at a specific oil viscosity and flow. It's only one data point, but gives some indication of flow vs dP at viscosity X.

I'm wondering if maybe the media has been changed since M+H bought Purolator. Maybe the 30001 efficiency claim is left over from before M+H got hold of Purolator (?).
I suspect the media has been changed, but maybe more recently than when M+H bought Purolator.

The Purolator BOSS In the Ascent test in 2021 had a dP of 29 kPA at 25 L/min, whereas the PBL30001 test report shows a dP of 5.5 kPA at the same flow rate. The PBL30001 is a larger filter, but was tested with oil at 24 cST, vs 13.5 cST in the Ascent test, so we'd expect the pressure drop to be in the same ballpark at least. Even the much smaller PBL14610 is less restrictive than the filter in the Ascent test according to its test report.

I suspect the media has been changed, but maybe more recently than when M+H bought Purolator.

The Purolator BOSS In the Ascent test in 2021 had a dP of 29 kPA at 25 L/min, whereas the PBL30001 test report shows a dP of 5.5 kPA at the same flow rate. The PBL30001 is a larger filter, but was tested with oil at 24 cST, vs 13.5 cST in the Ascent test, so we'd expect the pressure drop to be in the same ballpark at least. Even the much smaller PBL14610 is less restrictive than the filter in the Ascent test according to its test report.
I get a dP of 27.3 kPa (110 in-H20 = 3.96 PSI) at 25 L/min for the BOSS that Ascent tested. The 30001 BOSS having only 5.5 kPa of dP at the same 25 L/min flow rate and somewhat thicker oil (24 cSt vs 13.5 cSt used by Ascent) could certainly mainly due to the total media area. 25 cSt is basically 5W-30 at 65C (149F). 13.5 cSt is basically 5W-30 at 89C (192F).

You would have to know the total media area and maybe try to do an flow area correction. Nothing like converting all these different units on this stuff ... lets express all measurements in three different units, lol.

I remember Purolator used to come out & say 99@40 regularly (2016). Then saw they started to advertise the lower micron ratings on their website later on. This was all done after the M&H buyout. It would be good to know if they've changed the media or not but I doubt they have (Referring to the Boss).

I had heard that the Purolator Boss was really low efficiency 99% @46um, but when I cut the filter open for my exact application PBL24011 it looked sooo good that I was hoping this number was for some other Boss filter and the PBL24011 would be much better - so I emailed Tech Service and they confirmed Boss = 99%@46um and One = 99%@30um:
View attachment 167750

PBL24011 construction quality is outstanding:
View attachment 167751

And the media is beautiful (both sides):
View attachment 167752

View attachment 167753
I’d use and never worry.

How many passes through the media are required to make a statement regarding efficiencies, as above? IOW, 99% at 30µ would that indicate that only once through gets you that?

How many passes through the media are required to make a statement regarding efficiencies, as above? IOW, 99% at 30µ would that indicate that only once through gets you that?
It's measured in real time with particle counters upstream and down stream of the filter while the test oil is treated with test dust, known as an ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency test. If you want to learn all about it, read this entire thread.

But 99% efficiency @ 30 microns is not that good. Even the cheapest SuperTech filters have that efficiency.
Fram Ultra is still a better choice based on the filtration tests we've seen here on BITOG.

I think the purolater has change media of pureone and boss which make them one from 10k to 15k miles for one and 15k miles to 20000 miles with less efficiency media .

Wouldn't it be great if Purolator and others would follow the same method Fram uses for advertising efficiency by getting an average of three filters within a family. Companies have the data to do it.
I’m sure it would be great marketing for some people that are really serious about micron ratings. The rest of the world could just use any decent filter and never need to worry about their choice of oil filters making any real discernible difference in the longevity of their vehicles.

I contacted Mann & Hummel in regards to the Wix XP they told me the same thing it was 99% at 35 microns, and at the little mileage I run on synthetic oil I would be better off using a regular Wix filter, at 99% at 23 microns, but I love the way the Wix XP looked inside..
Then Wix skyrocketed the prices,
And I called Mann & Hummel again spoke with Richard great guy, found out he was the same person that was emailing me, about Wix filters, he explained to me that I would be better off running a Purolator One filter since I only run about 5 or 6,000 miles on synthetic oil, he even recommended bump it up to 7,500 and I would still have plenty of life left in that filter.. I have one ready for my next oil change.. personally I have never cut one open yet.. but they were on sale for $3 off on Amazon .

Back