99% at 17 microns! Purolator ONE PL14006

I'm aware of this issue, but since it's pretty rare for 2001 Zs I wasn't too concerned. At some point I'll probably do the springs, cam and balancer all at the same time.

I'm sure you've seen this Corvette Forum thread: LINK
Failure summary: 5 for 2001, 94 for 2002, 59 for 2003, and 5 for 2004
Yes, I'm well aware of that thread and others like it on other C5 Vette forums. I changed my springs out (use PAC brand springs, slightly stiffer than OEM) and also put in stiffer push rods and upgraded the rocker arm bearings (another possible failure point) when I did my springs. If you plan on tracking that Z06 I'd highly recommend doing the valve springs, regardless of the info in that link - they can still fail on the 2001. You have any history on the car? Maybe the previous owner did it, or had it done.

@SubieRubyRoo that Camaro build sounds awesome! I'm not doing any performance mods to this LS6 (currently). I'm a novice track driver / autocross racer and the Z06 in it's stock form is so much faster and better handling than my 89 that I've been driving.

My immediate plans for the Z:
  • Corbeau EvoX Driver Seat
  • lower it a little on the stock bolts
  • install an Elite Engineering Aluminum Heel-to-Toe Gas and Dead Pedal
  • install a MGW short shifter
  • install and wire a receiver hitch for my Grid trailer
  • ti exhaust bypass mod
  • track alignment with 315 square speedline wheels
Then I'll drive track and autox it all year. This time next year I was thinking I'd do the cam, springs and balancer - unless I get motivated to do that sooner.

Pics below are my 89 at Dominion Raceway and my new-to-me Z. I've literally just driven the Z home from the seller and I'm going to go over it end to end, replace all fluids and filters, replace a faulty oil pressure sensor and clean the intake and throttle body while I'm in there.

@ZeeOSix I'm planning on using M1 FS 0w40 in the Z. What have you been running?
View attachment 188663
View attachment 188666
Looks like a nice non-molested C5 Z06. How many miles on it?

@ZeeOSix I'm planning on using M1 FS 0w40 in the Z. What have you been running?
I always just ran a 5W-30 because I never tracked my Z06, just drove it hard for short periods, so the oil never got too hot above normal street driving temperatures. The M1 FS 0W-40 should do well for you in track use.

Looks like a nice non-molested C5 Z06. How many miles on it?
It was a 1-owner car that was traded in for something new. I bought the car from a used car dealer that handles all sales from trade-ins, so I don’t have any records other than the Carfax, which has some services recorded. It seems like a gently owned car.

I’ll do the valves sooner than later 👍

I always just ran a 5W-30 because I never tracked my Z06, just drove it hard for short periods, so the oil never got too hot above normal street driving temperatures. The M1 FS 0W-40 should do well for you in track use.
Off topic....I've got a jug of M1 ESP 0w30 in my stash and I want to use it. I'm thinking of throwing it into my LS2 for the winter. Any downside in your opinion on that oil? It is Porsche C30 approved, so I'm believing it has to be a very good oil to get that. I run my Vette as you described....not tracking it but short bursts of hard running. I never sustain it for very long, so I think the EP 5w30 in it now shrugs off anything I've dished out. It's due for a change and I saw the 0w30 and thought it might be the perfect use for it.

Off topic....I've got a jug of M1 ESP 0w30 in my stash and I want to use it. I'm thinking of throwing it into my LS2 for the winter. Any downside in your opinion on that oil? It is Porsche C30 approved, so I'm believing it has to be a very good oil to get that. I run my Vette as you described....not tracking it but short bursts of hard running. I never sustain it for very long, so I think the EP 5w30 in it now shrugs off anything I've dished out. It's due for a change and I saw the 0w30 and thought it might be the perfect use for it.
Running the 0W-30 in the winter would be fine. Even running the 5W-30 would be too if the ambient minimum temps aren't too low for 5W. But the 0W will give easier cold starts. Both are a 30 grade (ie, both hot KV100 viscosiy are in the SAE J300 "30" grade).

Last edited:
Hmmm...even if it is true, my confidence in M & H building a filter that doesn't tear, have anti drain back valves that do not tear, and end caps don't fall off is non existent. Until M&H start building all their filters from Purolator and Wix to be flawless, I'm not going back regardless of how good their efficiency is because it drops to 0% when they fail

I'll be getting excited when I start seeing 99% efficiency at 10 microns these people have given us much in the way of quality improvement in 20 years!

Back