Fram Made Microgards now at O Reilly's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My days of 2 dollar Microgards have come to an end. Here I have cut open the new one with an older one I had cut open earlier. Less media, cardboard endcaps, but the same price.

Lots less bang for the buck.

New on the left, old on the right
DSC01312.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

OLD ONE CLOSE UP
DSC01319.jpg

NEW ONE
DSC01320.jpg

You need to go on a hunting spree to try and find all the old stock of the "good filters" if they're still out there :)

Went from a decent relatively inexpensive filter, to a piece of junk oil filter.

Better try and grab some of the Powerflos at AAP, still a Puro made product at a good price.

Thanks for the great pics, worth a thousand words.

The one on the right looks like it is made by Purolater. Others may recognize the one on the right. I would guess Fram. FWIW-- Oldtommy

Haha Fram once again taking the customer for a "ride".

Indeed that new version looks like the height of [censored] quality.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
The one on the right looks like it is made by Purolater. Others may recognize the one on the right. I would guess Fram. FWIW-- Oldtommy
Sorry, the One on the LEFT looks like it may be a Fram. Oldtommy

Yeah, that's kind of the point of this thread...?

Quote:
The one on the right looks like it is made by Purolater. Others may recognize the one on the right. I would guess Fram. FWIW
54.gif
The one on right is made by Purolator. The one on the left on the inside, looks to be an orange can clone.
frown.gif

Edit: Missed your correction post.

Last edited:
Yeah the old ones state they are Purolators right on the box. The new ones make no attempt to state the real manufacturer.

Yeah my cheap filters are coming from NAPA now. The old Microgards had only a little less media than my Bosch-o-lator for the same application. For 2 bucks they were a heck of a filter. The people at NAPA will sell us powerflos for 2.70. A bit more, but worth it.

I saw the back of the Fram "racing" filter boxes there as well. Cardboard endcaps on those as well. Aside from the extended guard Frams, you just dont get a really good filter.

My thoughts also. Looks like they went from Purolator to FRAM for their supplier.

This trend is disturbing. EVERYTHING is getting cheapened. That 45 year old metal case Black&Decker drill will outrun 15 modern plastic B&D's.

Sorry to get off topic.

Originally Posted By: pidster
This trend is disturbing. EVERYTHING is getting cheapened. That 45 year old metal case Black&Decker drill will outrun 15 modern plastic B&D's.

I totally agree...I believe it is driven by greedy short sighted management that only cares about short term profits, and could care less about the customer....

I have actually found myself saying that this trend is the biggest incentive NOT to buy ANY new stuff. Whether its cars, electronics, dishwashers, or whatever.. You seem to be better off taking good care of your older things and repairing them in the long run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: pidster

I totally agree...I believe it is driven by greedy short sighted management that only cares about short term profits, and could care less about the customer....

I think these corporations want to "boil the frog very slowly" so he doesn't realize what's going on. They are continually trying to shave their costs to increase profits ... and if it means reducing quality and performance to some degree then they will do it until customers start to notice and refuse to purchase their products anymore.

This seems to be the typical "business model" in today's economic world.

I don't see that it that much worse. I certainly wasn't impressed with the one I used last year. For what I paid for it, I could have had an STP with more media.

The anti drain-back valve is loose on the new one, it is tight and would seal better on the old one. The security that dirty oil is not going to seep back into my engine is enough reason to complain.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
The one on the right looks like it is made by Purolater. Others may recognize the one on the right. I would guess Fram. FWIW
54.gif
The one on right is made by Purolator. The one on the left on the inside, looks to be an orange can clone.
frown.gif

Edit: Missed your correction post.

yup purolater and black can of doom!!!!!! shop for a new brand.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Went from a decent relatively inexpensive filter, to a piece of junk oil filter.

Better try and grab some of the Powerflos at AAP, still a Puro made product at a good price.

Thanks for the great pics, worth a thousand words.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back