C&P 2 new CarQuest 84356 1 Made in China 1 made in Vietnam.

It seems to be fairly common with oil filters. I'm losing track of how many times FRAM made changes to the Ultra without changing the part number
It would be a configuration nightmare is every time a change was done on an oil filter model that the p/n changed. People couldn't even keep up, let alone the application data base for all the vehicles in the world. In a consumer product like an oil filter, if it still works on a engine it's specified for, they could keep the model number the same forever. I believe Motorcraft does indeed change the actual Ford p/n on some filters when they change design, but the model number would remain the same.

Fram did make changes to some filters that basically had a recall on them (long time ago) to improve them, and added and "A" at the end of the model number. Mobil added an "A" to the end of some model numbers when they changed. So some makers do try to designate a change when it's warranted. But in general, configuration control is up to the company designing/making them. The configuration control I was doing was specified by the military, so it was nitty-gritty almost to the point where if you changed the color of something i rolled the dash number on the part number. It could get nuts at times.

Bought these for my Honda Odyssey with some speed bucks I had at the Advance Auto when I got them noticed one was made in China. The other one was made in Vietnam so I just cut them open to see what the differences were. The one with the darker media and orange gasket is the one made in Vietnam,
Bought these for my Honda Odyssey with some speed bucks I had at the Advance Auto when I got them noticed one was made in China. The other one was made in Vietnam so I just cut them open to see what the differences were. The one with the darker media and orange gasket is the one made in Vietnam, the black gasket, and the lighter media is the China made one. They both had coil Springs in the bottom for the drain back valve. The Vietnam one had some excess glue around the media the China one did not but very few differences other than the way they look.
The car quest premium filter that I just purchased looks identical to the Vietnam filter in your post and also to the premium guard filter i had previously purchased but the one I just purchased a car quest is made in China

Nice post. I like these filters alot and basically all the auto parts stores carry these PG filters as the house brand, with some exceptions. Now that we have advance in CA I'd like to get this in a OC bundle.

Got those Carquest Premium oil filters for our vehicles… For good reason. Cheaper there by $4 vs exact same filters at Napa.

And yes those filters are very high quality. Just like that rack of pork ribs I smoked on the grill last night were.

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

Back