RANT! Subway Sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'm not inclined to waste food for the purpose of making a point. Letting the air out of the guy's tires...well......

It would be their decision whether to waste the food or honor the coupon, not yours. You would only have put them in the position of having to decide which was more important.
56.gif

However, I can imagine this might be a case of the register being programmed to honor specials only during a certain time period. You would think that window would have some margin allowed, though.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I'm not inclined to waste food for the purpose of making a point. Letting the air out of the guy's tires...well......

It would be their decision whether to waste the food or honor the coupon, not yours. You would only have put them in the position of having to decide which was more important.
56.gif

I like that; you apparently can slice an argument thinner than subway can slice their turkey.

I get the $5 ham footlong once a week at work. The people there get mad that I never buy chips and a drink.

I like that; you apparently can slice an argument thinner than subway can slice their turkey.

They are the party that created the situation by trying to split hairs. When someone chooses to define the boundaries of the game in a way that I consider unethical, then I do get a certain satisfaction from turning the tables on them using situation that they created. I will bend over backwards to people trying to be honest merchants, but to offer a teaser, then do a bait and switch strikes me as "chicken" in the extreme. I figure it is literally my duty as a consumer to enforce the ethics of the marketplace using the means at my disposal.

Nobody can slice anything thinner than Subway. I swear the last time (emphasis on "last time") I tried a sub there the meat was 2 dimensional - it dissapeared when viewed on it's end. I will never eat there again.

australia's subway is EXCELLENT. chunky steak, cheese footlong for me, with southwest chipotle sauce, and ALL salds including jalapenos make my day. round off with macadamia cookie and bob's yer uncle.

that's also why i weight more than stevieC but hey, it's good!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Nobody can slice anything thinner than Subway. I swear the last time (emphasis on "last time") I tried a sub there the meat was 2 dimensional - it dissapeared when viewed on it's end. I will never eat there again.
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
You could read a newspaper through their meat if you laid a slice on the page.
lol.gif

On a serious note... We have a simple acronym for success in the food industry and it is called Q.S.C.V.

Quality food, Service Excellence, Cleanliness, Value. Value is the hardest one to teach franchise owners from my perspective. It's the Q.S.C. plus and overall sense of value to the guest so that they feel satisfied and like they got their monies worth. (Good food, excellent service at a price the guest feels comfortable paying)

IMO Subway & Quiznos-US has forgotten this fundamental part of the equation.
frown.gif

In Canada though while Subway is the same as the states and I would never go there, Quiznos seems to have lowered their prices and offers a superior product IMO. They are currently running a $2/$3/$4/$5 menu with some pretty great options if you ask me.

I often eat there instead of a burger joint because its much better for you if you stay away from the dressings.
shocked2.gif

www.quiznos.ca

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why should I have to beg an employee at the place where I want to eat to do their job correctly ???
21.gif

Sounds like this lazy girl hates her job and is taking it out on customers. Did you call the Subway and speak to the owner?

You don't know what the kid has been told that they have to do.

A mate's daughter was working at Yucky Duck (KFC), and was told that the "standard" is whateve the standard box was, and that people who requested all breast pieces were to be (politely) put in their place, and under no circumstances delivered breast only.

She was put on the spot a few times, took the company line, but every single escalation ("I want to see the manager"), the Manager would order her to issue the breast only.

When she started issuing them prior to escalation, she got warned on company policy...went and worked at a pizza joint the next evening.

A local Mc Donalds instituted a policy where they don't give you the drink cup until you get your sandwich.

Since then I've made two orders. I order a drink and get my cup so I can fill it, then order the sandwich on a separate order.

I actually had a discussion with the manager on duty. She said it was due to customer complaining about a cold sandwich if it sat on the counter while waiting for the customer to return from the soda fountain.

I said I understand if that was the default policy, I simply wanted the option to get my cup and fill it while waiting for the sandwich, and to be so inflexible was not going to win customer favor.

I know, I shouldn't even stop at McD's but every so often I crave a Big Mac or two cheese burgers, and when it's an "on-call" week, sometimes I'm running all over the place and have to eat on the go.

But those weeks are only once a month and I try to avoid daily fast food.

Moderation.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
As an ex-Subway employee, I'd like to add to this rant.

Once upon a time Subway sandwiches were decent. A bit pricey, but decent. In the past couple years though, everything they do has gotten cheaper. [censored] un-ripe vegetables, poor quality meat, cutting back on amount of veggies per sandwich, etc.

When I worked there we were ENCOURAGED to load the sandwich up with veggies, because they were cheap. Apparently this has changed.

On the other hand, what do you expect out of a $5 dollar sub? I'm pretty sure that all the footlongs were over $5 dolllars when I worked there 10+ years ago. 10 years of inflation + a sandwich that has DROPPED in price = a garbage sandwich.

Still no excuse to be so stingy with olives. You know that the over bearing store manager has been telling the poor sandwich artists that "olives are getting expensive, only one olive per customer!"

One of my fav sandwiches back in the day was BBQ chicken with cheese and lots of olives. MMMMMM.

Reminds me of an MBA case I read where one of the airlines projected a few $100k savings by eliminating two olives from the meals.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Reminds me of an MBA case I read where one of the airlines projected a few $100k savings by eliminating two olives from the meals.

I bet that was the depth of their "analysis". I don't suppose they ever revisited the logic for the original number of olives.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Subway is stingy period, ESPECIALLY with the meat.

They've gotten better over the past few years, at least at the ones I frequent.

I remember when the meat would actually look like a thin smear of ketchup.
mad.gif

What`s insulting is when you go to these bbq restaraunts and they put your helping on a scale,then scrape some off. They act like the stuff`s made of gold or something! Talk abour rip off artists,huh! "Woah.........can`t let them get an extra sliver of meat!!!!!"

On Subway,my gf and I went there for lunch today. The chicks behind the counter were tooootal hawties,the sandwiches rocked!,and the reallyyyyy hawt one totally loaded up my sandwich ;^) I had a very good Subway experience :^)

If you think the person making the sandwich might be cool and it doesn't look like there's a manager around, ask them to hook it up. 60% of the time, it works all the time.

I haven't eaten at a Subway or Quiznos since I discovered the sub place in the Harris Teeter grocery store here. The subs are always cheaper than Subway, everything from the meat to the bread is better, and they don't skimp on the toppings at all. You also get a free footlong sub after you buy a certain number. I've gotten two free subs so far. Subway subs are a soggy expensive mess in comparison with more sauce than toppings. I guess they think putting a gallon of whatever sauce on the sub makes up for the lack of other stuff, but it really just makes it that much nastier.

whoa the US subway must really suck because down here, they are great. i guess the cost cutting hasn't reached this far.

I love the SubWays we have in metro detroit. It seems the ones inside another business are the best. A sub at WalMart is better than one in a bldg. by itself. No complaint at all. When u ask for extra onion/jalepeno u get a lot. Quiznos on the other hand is awful. i ate there once and regret that time. If Q goes out of business I won't miss a thing.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
whoa the US subway must really suck because down here, they are great. i guess the cost cutting hasn't reached this far.

Because they are franchises, quality can vary a lot.

I used to work about 25 miles away from here and there was a good Subway, in a Wal-Mart of all places, that I'd go to for lunch. They always did a good job, but I don't work in that area anymore.

The Subway closest to my house is awful. When the $5 footlong thing first started, they kept running out of everything, so they started using less toppings and the subs just got worse and worse.

I think a lot of times when a US fast food company moves overseas, there is a lot of pressure to make it work and adapt, so they tend to go above and beyond. In the US though, everything is left up to franchisees, and while some genuinely want a well run store with good food, many just don't give a flying [censored]. I think the Subway close to my house is so bad because they are located directly across from a huge university, so they think business is guaranteed. To an extent they are right. The freshmen will go there before they know any better, but they lost me as a customer a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What`s insulting is when you go to these bbq restaraunts and they put your helping on a scale,then scrape some off. They act like the stuff`s made of gold or something! Talk abour rip off artists,huh! "Woah.........can`t let them get an extra sliver of meat!!!!!"

On Subway,my gf and I went there for lunch today. The chicks behind the counter were tooootal hawties,the sandwiches rocked!,and the reallyyyyy hawt one totally loaded up my sandwich ;^) I had a very good Subway experience :^)
FYI, QSR's (Quick Service Restaurants) are high cost low margin businesses that have to manage their food costs to a "T" in order to turn a profit at the end of the year. Subway has their meats pre-sliced to a specific weight so that they can just count by slices. What they don't tell you is that they also control the fat and water/sodium injection to make up for too much/too little protein so that they make you feel full for a little while until all that "junk" dissolves in your gut. Some restaurants like Quiznos use a scale to weight out their protein which is sliced in house and can vary by slice. In the restaurant chain I work for we weigh out many things using scales before you get your food. It's extremely common in the industry because of the "high cost, low margin" factor the restaurant models run on.
wink.gif

The see-through slices of meat are for your own good. The tiny and mediocre sandwiches are for the same purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back