Do You Round Up At The Restaurant

Taco Bell asks to round up for a college student fund, I do it if its a 20 cent round up for a 99 cent round up.

Why?

Because the kitchen staff also wear headsets and hear what is being ordered so they start working on it the moment you place your order. My local taco Bell is so fast because of this that by the time I get to the window, even if there is no one in front of me, my food is ready after they swipe my card. It's the fastest drive through of all fast food places.

1. I don't want some slimy kid being passive aggressive and launching a snot rocket into my burrito by denying a small round up.

2. The employees actually take advantage of the Taco Bell college fund as per my conversations with them, so it's going towards a good cause.

Taking in an extra few cents or even close to a dollar even on 10% of the orders must come out to millions at Taco Bell.

I never round up for any of those charities. If you look into them, some of them are okay, but most of them have massive overhead and very little in the way of actually charitable contributions
A lot of these businesses also take your money, put it in their bank account, and submit it to the charity as if they were the donator. This results in a tax write-off for them. So by paying most charities when rounding up is reducing that companies tax burden. I'm fine with this for Taco Bell and their drive through kids though.

Last edited:
I occasionally round up if it’s a small amount, but if I paid a $1.01 I’m probably not rounding up to $2

I begrudgingly leave a tip at certain places I’m picking up take out or fast food but only if it’s easy to select 10% or less.

I was always taught to never tip at those places but admittedly have been guilted into leaving the 40 year old sandwich artist a tip for something I’m not staying to eat,

Now days 90% of actual restaurants require cash payment unless I enjoy paying service fees on top of a 3.75% credit fee, one places gives a discount for cash and charges a fee for credit a double whammy.

A lot of these businesses also take your money, put it in their bank account, and submit it to the charity as if they were the donator. This results in a tax write-off for them. So by paying most charities when rounding up is reducing that companies tax burden. I'm fine with this for Taco Bell and their drive through kids though.
I was wondering about that. It’s part of the receipt, the profit then, and I always wondered how they would finagle it.

When my son has a craving for McDonalds, they ask this and I round up. It’s for the Ronald McDonald house and that’s a great charity to donate to. I’ve personally seen how they help people when their children are in hospital far from home.

gratuity /grə-too͞′ĭ-tē, -tyoo͞′-/

noun​

1. A favor or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service.
  2. Something given freely or without recompense; a free gift; a present.
  3. Something voluntarily given in return for a favor or service, as a recompense or acknowledgmenT.

A lot of these businesses also take your money, put it in their bank account, and submit it to the charity as if they were the donator.
That's a possibility . They may even be taking that Charity money and collecting interest on it for a few months ........ before giving it to charity . You never know .

I will round up or do even more if it's going to the staff. One of my first jobs was at a restaurant and I am still in the business. Those jobs suck and mostly have younger people working them.
The hard and hot takes some of you have are pretty amusing.

I was getting a hydraulic hose made a few weeks ago and the screen asked "10%, 15%, 20% tip" and at the bottom in font size 2 "no tip"
As I stated a while ago I was at one of those gas stations that had fried chicken and a hot food island and they had the tip functionality turned on as I paid for gas inside.

There are incidents of box stores with the tip functionality turned on as well.

What’s unfortunate is that unless you tip the person cash directly you aren’t guaranteed they even see the tip as it might split with the store itself taking a cut and the rest going into a pool

Man this post has plenty of opportunity to get a ban. :LOL: 🎯

But yeah these screens with hands out?? Nuts!

I’ve had a few situations where I would historically never tip but now would round up or 10% picking up takeout but because I used a card it didn’t provide any obvious way to tip anything other than 20%, 25% or 35% which wasn’t happening on something that they put in a bag and handed me, so I selected NO TIP in small letters.

A few of the tip nag screens have selections up to 50% .

Last edited:
Back