Your Major Annoyances on Your Car!??

Without a doubt, the neon center high mount brake light on my Explorer. Yes, neon. It uses a ballast, which often goes bad (I guess not a surprise after a couple decades).

Dorman has a direct fit LED replacement, however installing it requires removal of the interior tailgate trim, as well as drilling out several rivets on the exterior/window surround trim.

As bright as the neon light is when it works, I'd rather just have to deal with a couple screws and couple bulbs every few years.

On my Ranger, engine compartment layout. The 3.0 engine is physically pretty small for a V6, but Ford still found a way to make it difficult to work on most things under the hood. Having to raise the engine to replace the oil pan gasket, having to loosen the AC compressor to replace the water pump, cam synchro crammed way down low at the back of the engine, etc. My Explorer is no easier to work on, but at least it's engine is physically pretty big for the compartment. The Ranger seems more like lazy packaging.

On the truck, primarily issues with the fact we didn't custom order it:
- The (non-heated) tow mirrors are a bit annoying. Because we bought "off the lot" we had the choice of 3.91's w/limited slip and town mirrors or 3.27's w/open diff and reg mirrors. We could probably get them swapped out.
- Non-memory driver seat

On the Jeep:
- Lack of physical buttons for the seat and wheel heat, which the truck has
- Lack of a really good spot to put your phone. The truck has two phone holders which are excellent. The updated centre stack that I saw in the new Durango SRT has a phone spot w/induction charge and wireless airplay.

Compared to all my previous vehicles, my Pilot excels at having wiper blades freeze up. The rubber part might be free of ice, but the frame pivots freeze. Large swaths of the windshield are untouched.

In my 2013 Mazda 6, the seat control panel sits too far up the side of the driver seat and so I ended up breaking the mount clips and some inside plastic when I sat. Now, it just sorta hangs there on the remaining effective mounts.
Other than that, the usual buzzing and tapping that emerges over time.

On my 2012 corolla s the original purchaser paid for that protective film on common wear areas(behind door handles, door edges, bumper cover under the trunk) and it looks like absolute garbage now. I definitely wouldn’t expect it to last that long and still look good but it’s an absolute nightmare to try to get off. Even worse to look at. Minor cosmetic issue but still annoying.

Mazda, in their infinite wisdom, redesigned their key fobs for MY2020 apparently.

That's all well and good, but for some demented reason, they decided that putting all the buttons on the narrow edge of their key fob was a good design.

At this point, I (mostly) remember to take the keys out of my pocket when I get home, but my neighbors all know by now (after a few months of my owning the CX-5) that if they see the trunk open to simply do me a favor and press the close button.

I really love driving the CX-5 but my goodness that's a dumb design.

so what would you say!??

I'll start; Our 16 CRV has a key fob, thus a sensor at the door handles for unlocking; my major annoyance with is that when you reach for drivers side handle it unlocks only the drivers door, while if you approach the passenger door and hold the handle all 4 doors unlock for you; so stupid!
I really don't have any. I've put nearly 60K miles on it, and it does nothing to annoy me so far. Sure, it could use another 100hp or whatever, but every vehicle could.

I really don't have any. I've put nearly 60K miles on it, and it does nothing to annoy me so far. Sure, it could use another 100hp or whatever, but every vehicle could.

Me as well. A lot of these annoyances that were mentioned were solved by changing settings or reading the manual. Miden851 solved his door lock annoyance with the help of another member.

In most cases it is just getting used to and adapting to a new car.

Without a doubt, the neon center high mount brake light on my Explorer. Yes, neon. It uses a ballast, which often goes bad (I guess not a surprise after a couple decades).

Dorman has a direct fit LED replacement, however installing it requires removal of the interior tailgate trim, as well as drilling out several rivets on the exterior/window surround trim.

As bright as the neon light is when it works, I'd rather just have to deal with a couple screws and couple bulbs every few years.

On my Ranger, engine compartment layout. The 3.0 engine is physically pretty small for a V6, but Ford still found a way to make it difficult to work on most things under the hood. Having to raise the engine to replace the oil pan gasket, having to loosen the AC compressor to replace the water pump, cam synchro crammed way down low at the back of the engine, etc. My Explorer is no easier to work on, but at least it's engine is physically pretty big for the compartment. The Ranger seems more like lazy packaging.
That lamp has been disco duck from Ford for so long too. Even before it went to live with the dinosaurs it was obscenely expensive.

here its another one

my '17Accord has an aluminum hood, so at hwy speeds between and up to 70-80 mph is vibrating, make you believe it will fly off

My 06 Benz
A) No oil Dipstick
B) No transmission dipstick
C) Wish it had a rear camera (my old neck is no very nimble).
D) Finding Diesel oil meeting MB 229.31 or above spec's oil.

Every time I turn the car on the stereo reverts to radio, not the source I was using when I turned the car off (whether it was CD, Bluetooth streaming, or the internal hard drive source). Googled it and it is definitely a design issue, cannot be changed. 2019 Grand Caravan.

Oh one more on the '19 Grand Caravan. On cruise control, when I start going up a grade, the car looses about 3-4 mph, then eventually it downshifts and accelerates up to the speed the cruise control is set to. Definitely a waste of gas, and probably extra wear on the engine and trans.

'18 Canyon
Radio sometimes comes on (and stays on) on its own when starting the truck, dealer unable to reproduce ?! LOL it happens almost every time I start it.
Seatbelt doesn't retract when it's cold out.
Temp gauge sometimes hits 100C just after coming off highway. (had a couple TSB's done to fix that, now it's considered 'normal' :eek: )

I discovered one today:
The passenger seat belt alarm dinging endlessly - AFTER they got out and I put it in park...both 60 seconds ago! I had to fasten the seat belt then disconnect it again. It silenced the alarm, but still showed the light for about 10 seconds, then shut off.

If it's in park, no alarm. Period! Hyundai, are you listening?

Aside from that, the only annoyance I have is the freezing temperature warning ding at 39°. I'm pretty sure nothing is going to freeze at 39°...

Everything else was done right. That's why I bought it.
Our Japanese cars warn of that at 37. I believe it's because bridges can freeze sometimes if the ambient temperature is slightly above freezing.

Our Japanese cars warn of that at 37. I believe it's because bridges can freeze sometimes if the ambient temperature is slightly above freezing.

My bimmers all did that when it got down to 3.5C, there would be a warning on the cluster that it could be icy.

Back