Your Major Annoyances on Your Car!??

Overall, my Focus seems to be a well-screwed-together machine with regard to the interior, but Ford uses plastic where they should perhaps be using metal. I've had the car for nearly a year when I discovered a few weeks ago that the glove compartment light stays on all the time. The plastic latch that holds the door shut flexes under the weight of the door, even with the mechanical "assist" working perfectly, and doesn't hold the door shut tightly enough to keep the light switch compressed. I had to epoxy 1/4" piece of plastic to a spot on the inside of the door to ensure the switch is compressed when the glove compartment is closed. That's chintzy as &^$#.

I have 2 minor annoyances with my F-150. The heated steering wheel doesn't have a physical button, it has to be done with the touchscreen. The second thing is when you close the door with the car running and keys inside it honks the horn twice. My wife's Toyota has a nice little beep, honking the horn is obnoxious.

Ya well seems silly when just going to the mailbox on private property
Oh, that's right you live way out....forgot....maybe look into the seat belt inserts - they sell the (tang?) metal part that slides into the buckle. A lot of 4wd guys swear by them on the trail - just fools the vehicle into thinking the belts are plugged in.

I am annoyed at myself for nit picking my car. when I actually am lucky to have a car to get around in.. True statement.

No cruise control. Especially when I wear my heavy steel toe boots it makes my leg hurt having to constantly press the gas. That’s about the only thing really.

Seatbelt chime. I don't leave home without wearing it, but that doesn't mean I don't start it before I'm ready to leave--and thus have to listen to the darn thing.

Can't have recirculate on with defrost. Middle of winter, if I want to start it and melt the ice on the windshield before I drive off, I should be able to select this. Like when I'm outside of the car, cleaning it off, or dealing with the aftermath of an ice storm (note, I'm not saying I'm driving with impaired visibility, just that I want to turn the heat on while I'm cleaning the car off). I'm perfectly capable of dealing with the consequences that this "odd" setting, thank you very much.

None of my cars have LED lights, so I can't complain about that... but all them do seem to have weak headlights, especially the ones whose lights have gotten yellowed over the years. One car does have a backlit dashboard, the bright LED sort, and it has caused us to drive sans headlights once or twice. I'd rather have a non-backlight dashboard.

The only 3 complaints I have about 2017 CX-9 are the sun visor, the seat belts, and the stupid black plastic exterior trim that surrounds the entire bottom of the vehicle, including the wheel wells. The sun visor has one of those retractable extension panels that slides in and out, but it's narrower than the rest of visor, making it pretty much useless. With the visor on our previous vehicle, a Toyota Sienna, the entire visor slid in and out, making it much better for blocking out the sun. The seat belts need a mechanism in the retraction part of the assembly that slows down the retraction speed when the belt is released. The way it is, no matter long you hold onto the belt when removing it to try and slow it down, the buckle slams into the interior panel that's near the retraction assembly. The black plastic exterior trim is ugly and cheap looking, the same as it is on all vehicles that have it, which is almost every vehicle these days...

Last edited:
17 Accord EXL front seats, very uncomfortable for long drives I do not know about the other models

Fasten your seat belt chimes comes on for 10 minutes once a month for no reason. Rear defroster and rear a/c come on by themselves several times a week. The automatic headlights come on at least 10 times a day every time I go under a underpass for a few short seconds. I get pounded by birds that have diarrhea every day and I do not park anywhere near trees .

There's actually an ECU update for this issue, not sure how Toyota Canada is handling that though. My 2021 supposedly has the update and it still hunts and shutters at lower speeds. I can't imagine how bad it was on previous trucks. Love the truck, hate the transmission.
Yeah I have the latest flash, still terrible. I have the same sentiment, I really like the truck but hate the shift programming.

I'm drooling over your "gone but not forgotten" list of cars.
Thanks, I have been lucky to have enjoyed these cars, I wish I was rich enough to have more than one and not have to sell each one to try something new but, alas, that is not the case. I am actively looking for my next ride, the recent times have made it hard to go shopping but I am optimistic I'll be able to get something again hopefully this year.

I guess I’m the odd one. I have no major annoyances with my car. I silenced most of the alerts through the settings app. The others I set the volume lower. As for the seatbelt chimes I just fasten my seatbelts before pushing the start button. The plastic trim looks great, everything works as it should.

Back