Young guys with beards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This aggravates me to no end - 20 something year old kids with a face full of hair trying to hide their youth.

You really let something that insignificant aggravate you to "no end"? Being upset by something so insignificant is a clear sign of mental or emotional problems, and can lead to other serious problems, both physical and mental. You need to seek treatment for your mental and emotional problems. Soon.

+1 You can't let something so small, and something you have no power to change, bother you.. - and to aggravate you to no end? I don't have any facial hair (I personally don't like it) but it is never going to bother me if some other young guy has a face full of hair.

What's with the silly chin only beards?
grin.gif

I have worn a beard for many years...covers a scar on my face, my wife likes it, keeps my face warm in the winter. I started growing it because I was in my mid-20's and looked 14!

Then, my hair moved south: what once grew on my head now sprouts from my chin!

I wear a beard because my girlfriend likes it. And since I hate shaving in general, with a beard I can get away with only having to shave once a week. And it gets really friggin cold in Wisconsin in the winter, and the beard helps keep my face warm.

I'd prefer a chin-only goatee in the spring/summer/fall, but the GF won't have it.

I don't mind the 20-somethings with beards. I guess some of 'em are just probably just playing around with it trying to figure out what they like, or what the girls like ; ) Others maybe are trying to look older, but I'll let 'em have that too... they are adults but not that far removed from being kids, they still remember being treated like kids and maybe they're just trying to put that behind them.

I'm 20, I grow a beard when I feel like it. Usually this is 99% pure laziness, and then I shave it when the right mood strikes. I'm not trying to look old, or create old men that envy my age, im just being an individual. Deal with it.

I personally don't care,

Yes you did, or you would not have pontificated about Merks post.

nor did I take his comments hard.

Yes you did, or you would not have pontificated about Merks post.

Anyone that allows something so trivial to aggravate them to "no end" indeed has issues.

"No end" is a "figure of speech" that should not have upset you sooooo badly you stooped to accusing Merk of having mental issues. You need to get a grip.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The beard obsession is just one part of the the tattooed/piercing/unkept/ragged clothing/slacker/bad hygiene cultural fad of these times.

I think this^ is pretty much the reason we see more beards on young guys these days.
Looking like a slob is now "cool". Not to say that all beards are unkept though.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Old age has nothing to do with beards.

Tell that to the 20 year olds.

"Look at me! I've got whiskers! I'm a man now!"

Youth is not demonstrated by a shaved face. It is demonstrated by actions, energy, eagerness, ambition, etc.

Being a man has nothing in common with age. I've come in contact with honest men of all ages.

Relax.

gfh7765,

I understand the frustration you feel about this topic. Where I work is this younger guy (mid 20's). He often dyes his hair strange colors....spikes it once in a while....grows a horrid leprechaun type beard....and puts these strange hoops in his ears that expand his piercings to something akin to an African tribal rite.
Anyway...one day this kid (I call him that) decides to get a normal haircut and a shave. He comes into work fully well groomed. I was SHOCKED! The guy looked really sharp. Good looking face...youthful yet manly. I told him that his new look was good on him and that he should keep it that way. The ladies noticed to. This kid could almost be a male model.
Within a month he went right back to the messy, freakish beard look with blue hair.
Very much a letdown from what I thought was a very well groomed look.
Yep...youth is often frustrating. I wanted to tell the guy that he's really wasting his looks and before he knows it he'll be as old as me and wonder what happened to the time.
So yes...I understand your post completely and don't think you have "mental issues".

Last winter I got roped into a play, and had to play Merlin. For once my unkempt beard was an asset!

I might not bother with a beard this winter. I have been, for the winter months, but I'm noticing more gray hairs than I'd care for. A bit too vain to have that.

I long ago got past caring how someone prefers to appear to the rest of us. Their appearance is their business. What I care about is results. Can you perform the task I've asked of you?

As a young man, I often spent a considerable amount of time working outdoors in the winter, and facial hair made that time more tolerable. Depending on my current work tasks, I still occasionaly grow out a beard.

Times and preferences change.

I've had a tight trimmed beard and mustache for the last year or so. It was a different texture for our baby to touch, and that was really the reason I kept it.

I may shave it at some point, since I certainly can re grow it in a few days to that length.

I do think unkempt beards, turned to be the rage by many thanks to shows like duck dynasty, don't look great.... But I think the point is to draw a response, not necessarily anything else.

I just think it's odd that anyone would spend so much time and energy worrying about the grooming habits of others.

The only time I care about such a thing, is if I find myself downwind of someone that REALLY needs to take a shower. Then it's a simple matter of putting some distance between them and myself.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Old age has nothing to do with beards.

Tell that to the 20 year olds.

"Look at me! I've got whiskers! I'm a man now!"

Old age has nothing to do with beards. People grow beards either because they want to, or their religious beliefs require it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I went to a goatee to simplify shaving. I should try a full beard sometime I guess, just to see what I look like.
One of the older guys at work pulls off mutton chops quite well.
Also I find that a full beard can make an older guy almost seem younger somehow?

Haha I did the mutton chops for awhile (maybe in the 90s?),then in the 80s I did the mullet (except no one called it a mullet,where did that word even come from?),then growing up in the 70s all the kids my age had the Beatles-do going on,oh,and before the mullet we all had the 80s spike thing. Oh,and then there was this chick at my old job who always loved playing with my thick blonde hair,so she'd always walk over with all this styling stuff and brush my hair into a "Justin Beiber do" haha. I never jumped on the beard trend though. My beard is a blonde/black color combo,so when I go even a day without shaving it looks awful haha. Plus like Merk,I'm 45 now and the last thing I want to do is look older! BUT,I still have all my hair (the shaggy mop that it is) but the grays are coming in
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I just think it's odd that anyone would spend so much time and energy worrying about the grooming habits of others.

The only time I care about such a thing, is if I find myself downwind of someone that REALLY needs to take a shower. Then it's a simple matter of putting some distance between them and myself.

Time and energy? Do you really think that the OP takes more than a second or two to notice a shaggy beard on a young person? That's really not much time. We all notice things and make comments on them. To some those things are too trivial to even comment on....while for others, it's the little things in life that tend to bug them.
It's just being human.....it's not odd at all.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I went to a goatee to simplify shaving. I should try a full beard sometime I guess, just to see what I look like.
One of the older guys at work pulls off mutton chops quite well.
Also I find that a full beard can make an older guy almost seem younger somehow?

Haha I did the mutton chops for awhile (maybe in the 90s?),then in the 80s I did the mullet (except no one called it a mullet,where did that word even come from?),then growing up in the 70s all the kids my age had the Beatles-do going on,oh,and before the mullet we all had the 80s spike thing. Oh,and then there was this chick at my old job who always loved playing with my thick blonde hair,so she'd always walk over with all this styling stuff and brush my hair into a "Justin Beiber do" haha. I never jumped on the beard trend though. My beard is a blonde/black color combo,so when I go even a day without shaving it looks awful haha. Plus like Merk,I'm 45 now and the last thing I want to do is look older! BUT,I still have all my hair (the shaggy mop that it is) but the grays are coming in
frown.gif

A mullet? Lol...yep, many of those I recall seeing back then. I never went for that look myself. I remember having a sort of "preppy" look with my hair a tiny bit long (by todays standards) and combed back with a hairspray/gel hold on it. Had a mustache to. Kind of trying to do a Magnum, P.I. look with the clothes ( Hawaiian shirts, 501 levis, topsiders). Comical now that I think about it.
Today I've got my hair buzzed so short you can hardly pinch it between your fingers. I still have hair though....just tired of taking care of it when it was longer. I also have a trimmed goatee with plenty of grey in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back