Yamada water pumps

I’ll probably need a flame suit for this but on critical parts like a water pump I would skip Rock Auto and go with OEM or a reliable brand . It is like a roulette wheel with online purchases. You might hit red, you might hit black.

I’ll probably need a flame suit for this but on critical parts like a water pump I would skip Rock Auto and go with OEM or a reliable brand . It is like a roulette wheel with online purchases. You might hit red, you might hit black.
I am beginning to believe that as well. 1/4 Aisin kits have this issue,...it must have been at a specific date code, althought I don't know what that is. JeepFix on Youtube mentioned this 2 years ago, the casting did not seem right on the Aisin water pumps,...but he felt they had fixed the issue.

I am beginning to believe that as well. 1/4 Aisin kits have this issue,...it must have been at a specific date code, althought I don't know what that is. JeepFix on Youtube mentioned this 2 years ago, the casting did not seem right on the Aisin water pumps,...but he felt they had fixed the issue.

Aisin is a well respected brand so this is a head scratcher. It might be coming down to one particular assembly plant or something along that line. For example we have had a lot of threads here regarding Wix filters coming out of Mexico.

Aisin is a well respected brand so this is a head scratcher. It might be coming down to one particular assembly plant or something along that line. For example we have had a lot of threads here regarding Wix filters coming out of Mexico.
Oh I agree! My mechanic stated to me this morning that he did not think it was from the Aisin water pump or kit. He respects the brand also. This is the 2nd installation with in a 2 week period! I had him do it over again because I thought the 1st one was defective. So perhaps it IS something else going on and not the water pump. I am still going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and get their opinion. I can't imagine,...OR it is just MY luck to get 2 kits with the same issue! Geezus!

I think almost every Aisin pump I've installed on a J-series engine has made this sound, but to varying extents. Some louder than others.

What are your thoughts Nukeman7 on the TSB from 2019 on the Unitta belt recall? I am not being argumentative, just looking for information. It was because they wanted to increase production and made new molds but the belts did not cure properly and teeth separated. Of course they fixed the issue.
How do you mean they are higher quality? I had a Gates/Japan belt on my car at one time during this ordeal and I thought my engine sounded rough. I am assuming because it was Gates/Japan that is a Unitta belt? I have it hanging in my garage as a comparison to the Mitsuboshi belt.
How do I know the manufacture date on the belt? I do not know what the numbers mean.
Thanks for your time.
rcs: I was unaware of the Unitta TB recall until you posted it above, so I can't comment on it other than I have never had any issue with using any OEM Honda part sourced from a dealer. It has been my experience that very few aftermarket replacement parts equal or exceed OEM quality for Honda vehicles. According to the article below, you can probably decipher the mfg. date on the Gates/Unitta belt by looking at the numbers shown in the photos.

Honda Timing Belt Codes

rcs: I was unaware of the Unitta TB recall until you posted it above, so I can't comment on it other than I have never had any issue with using any OEM Honda part sourced from a dealer. It has been my experience that very few aftermarket replacement parts equal or exceed OEM quality for Honda vehicles. According to the article below, you can probably decipher the mfg. date on the Gates/Unitta belt by looking at the numbers shown in the photos.

Honda Timing Belt Codes
Thanks so much for that link, it was very helpful . I appreciate the education that the J35 engine is unique and requires special attention. That was a very informative statement that you made for me.

Not really. It's about as dinosaur of a modern engine as you can get.
😁…I did not know that…I was more referring to your comment of perhaps it was Nukeman that the J35 was partcular when it came to parts fitting well.

Ok Guys,...here is a twist in the story...My mechanic called me yesterday to come to his shop. He is concerned that I am stressing over this.
He had in his garage an Odyssey with 214,000 miles and a 2014 Pilot with only 24,000 miles. He wanted me to come there and listen to their engines for the noise I am hearing in mine. I don't know in those cars "what" water pump would have been in there for those years, I do not remember the year of the Odyssey . But his point was this...he wanted me to listen to both engines,...BOTH of them had the noise BUT it truly was not as loud as mine is, once mine is warmed up. The dealership for the lady with the 2014 Pilot convinced her based on the year that she needed a new TB job, she brought it to my mechanic for a second opinion. My mechanic said absolutely not to her,...she is very elderly and only drives around town.

So here I am now,...I cancelled my appointment this morning with the dealership. I am going to live with this for this month. IF it gets louder and I can't stand it even more, then I am going to have it switched out to the Yamada.

Does anyone know Nukeman7, Eric or The Critic or anyone of you great guys that I did not mention "what" original water pump would be in the 2014 Pilot or even in the Odyssey? Did Honda still use the Aisin pump or did they switch over to the Yamada that year? That would be even more helpful to me, as to why those engines were more quiet than mine, and they were warmed up. Granted I told my mechanic, perhaps the 2014 Pilot was not as warmed up when I got there, He said when she pulled in the noise was louder. I am asking this to make the final decision at the end of this month whether to change over to the Yamada or as some of you have suggested "just leave it alone" as The Critic has said to me!!! I just can't get out of my head "my OCD brain" that if something is rubbing then something at some point is going to give way and not work correctly! I am trying to prevent that from happening!

Thanks again, I look forward to your responses. Thank you for your time and kindness for helping me.

I’ve reached the point that if I can get OE or the exact OE part in the aftermarket that’s what I use. Only if the OE is NLA do I use aftermarket it’s pretty much all junk even respectable brands.

Agree Critic knows his stuff, you can rely on what he says (trav and cline too)

If the noise bothers you (and it would me) let dealer do what they need to do to fix it. If your regular guy won’t.

I’ve reached the point that if I can get OE or the exact OE part in the aftermarket that’s what I use. Only if the OE is NLA do I use aftermarket it’s pretty much all junk even respectable brands.

Agree Critic knows his stuff, you can rely on what he says (trav and cline too)

If the noise bothers you (and it would me) let dealer do what they need to do to fix it. If your regular guy won’t.
Thanks DuckRyder! I agree,...as I mentioned this morning, I am going to ride it out this month, and see how it goes. I will probably still do it next month at the dealership if my mechanic doesn't want to change to the Yamada pump. I know I have been stressing about this for 1 1/2 months now. Being new to this forum, I appreciate the expertise of the guys who have responded to me. sometimes, things are better left alone.

What does NLA stand for?

Thank you The Critic for those 2 links. However, I will say that with the videos my car does not sound like that at all. If you go to the Piloteers forum and look at Ch3st3r forum post on the engine noise, he and I have the exact same noise. It is almost like a woof, woof, woof muffled noise, you hear it more on the right side of the car obviously, when it is warmed up, not 1st thing in the morning. The links now confused me even more. Some of those folks on the other forum, even used new parts and had the noise, if I am not mistaken? Also they are saying it is the oil pump and not the water pump. Good Lord,...the only good thing is that they did not notice any wear marks or shredding on their belts. I hope I am not going to run into trouble by waiting 1 month to get everything changed again. It would just make me feel more comfortable. I can't stand the noise that makes it sound like my engine is gasping for air.

OP, just my observation. But, i've always found Japanese rubber more pliable/softer. OEM vs Gates (domestic). Just my humble opinion. I rather OEM vs aftermarket for Japanese vehicles. Trav is our expert...

Back