Yamada water pumps

Following this thread closely, as I have a 2013 Pilot with 85k miles due for a timing belt job. It was a no-brainer for me to use the Aisin kit but now I am reconsidering it. FWIW, I used the Aisin kit on my 4-cyl Accord and it's been just fine.

OP - It would be helpful if you record the noise.

Correct. The warbling sound is common on the aftermarket Aisin pumps. It has to do with how the tensioner pulley mounts. The noise is generally harmless.

If the noise bothers you, then you will need to replace with a Genuine Honda pump. The Mitsuboshi belts included in the kits are also not as "robust" than the Genuine belt, so it is also possible for there to be a slight difference in belt tensioner that could cause noise.

In summary, don't worry a

Correct. The warbling sound is common on the aftermarket Aisin pumps. It has to do with how the tensioner pulley mounts. The noise is generally harmless.

If the noise bothers you, then you will need to replace with a Genuine Honda pump. The Mitsuboshi belts included in the kits are also not as "robust" than the Genuine belt, so it is also possible for there to be a slight difference in belt tensioner that could cause noise.

In summary, don't worry about it.
Thank you!

Following this thread closely, as I have a 2013 Pilot with 85k miles due for a timing belt job. It was a no-brainer for me to use the Aisin kit but now I am reconsidering it. FWIW, I used the Aisin kit on my 4-cyl Accord and it's been just fine.

OP - It would be helpful if you record the noise.
So many people on the Piloteers forum have used this kit with absolutely no problems! I am going to try to download/attach a file later this afternoon, as soon as I get home from work

I have read at least one entry in the Odyssey forum where the individual had a bit of slack in the tensioner using the Mitsuboshi belt with the Yamada pump. He resolved it by installing the Unitta belt and suggested the Mitsuboshi was ever so slightly longer. I have used Mitsuboshi timing belts on 4 cylinder Hondas with perfect results, but the Honda V-6's seem to be more particular. In my opinion, the Japanese made Unitta timing belt is higher quality than the Thailand made Mitsuboshi belt for the J35 motor, regardless of actual or perceived thickness. I have NEVER heard of a Yamada / Unitta combo installation that has caused any noise, unlike the AISIN / Mitsuboshi combo. There is too much labor involved to potentially save ~$100 by reusing the Mitsuboshi belt.
Thank you point well taken.

yes, a 2nd opinion, soon/now BUT...
some of us have customers that over worry. No free long sit down to explain a 'wobly' and
loose money to be earned w/wrenchin. Some need counseling (actual) and we are not equipped.
Good will is freely (see what I did there) accessable but I've had some customers that needed hrs of
my time and still "weren't there" yet. AND I specalize in older, rusty Honda/Toys that are owned by poor
spanish older or retired (let's just say low income) neighbors. I'm in the woods, not downtown.
This post helps me think I will offer more only if folks can come at the end of the day when I put down the wrench.
I will add that to the end of my day.

Last edited:
Thanks Wilbur. I have been told to just live with the noise, but it is truly annoying. It sounds like my engine is sucking air, to me as a women it is scary not just annoying. Which is why I just don't want to let it go and do nothing, it can't be a good thing.
I wish I would have had someone tell me that it is the miles that count and not the years. I drive this car only short distances, work, grocery store and to church.
This has been a nightmare to say the least!
I have been told the Mitsuboshi belt is thicker and that is a good thing,...but have also been told that it could be the cause for the noise?

As you guys can see I am being told many things and pulled from all sides. I don't have anyone to give me any guidance. Thank you all who have responded and are helping me with this issue.
Two dealers told me its miles, not time, they use to determine replacement interval. That was good enough for me but maybe not for you. I DYI installed Aisin TB kit in my '08 (14 yo) with 100k and the OE TB looked great-supple, sharp edges and "fresh". No indication it required replacement. However, the tensioner was leaking, a problem also mentioned here. This could cause a loose TB , leading to eventual engine damage. I guess I'm lucky-no chirping despite me intently listening for it. I am surprised Aisin has not addressed this issue since its been since at least 2007 (?) when it was first encountered.

An experienced honda dealer tech can do this entire job in about 3 hours. I think flat rate book calls for 5.

yes, a 2nd opinion, soon/now BUT...
some of us have customers that over worry. No free long sit down to explain a 'wobly' and
loose money to be earned w/wrenchin. Some need counseling (actual) and we are not equipped.
Good will is freely (see what I did there) accessable but I've had some customers that needed hrs of
my time and still "weren't there" yet. AND I specalize in older, rusty Honda/Toys that are owned by poor
spanish older or retired (let's just say low income).
This post helps me think I will offer more only if folks can come at the end of the day when I put down the wrench.
I will add that to the end of my day.
Well said. The thing is it is easy for a guy to say,...no worries just drive it, especially those that are mechanically inclined. I am not putting anyone down who responded to my inquiry. I know alot about quite a few things, but not cars,...I am learning. The scary thing is if you are stranded and you have no one to call or depend on but yourself. That's what makes me over worry. With that being said I surely do appreciate everyone who took the time out of their day to help me with this and those that gave me alot of information to help me through this. You certainly are a great group!:)

"...The scary thing is if you are stranded..."
BINGO. We have totally different experiences of the world around us (I am 70 y/o now so beginning
to see it more as a woman would. With sense! As a man I didn't have sense... I could walk in the rain,
go thru a 'bad section' of a city, etc).
Glad U found the spot, keep goin till ya got what U need.
God bless U. (or "Bless my heart" or other remark of encouragement'n care).
- -Chad
BTW: 'over worry' is not pointed in ur direction. My customers should trust me or not come to my place~

Two dealers told me its miles, not time, they use to determine replacement interval. That was good enough for me but maybe not for you. I DYI installed Aisin TB kit in my '08 (14 yo) with 100k and the OE TB looked great-supple, sharp edges and "fresh". No indication it required replacement. However, the tensioner was leaking, a problem also mentioned here. This could cause a loose TB , leading to eventual engine damage. I guess I'm lucky-no chirping despite me intently listening for it. I am surprised Aisin has not addressed this issue since its been since at least 2007 (?) when it was first encountered.

An experienced honda dealer tech can do this entire job in about 3 hours. I think flat rate book calls for 5.
Agree,...I should have waited,..no use crying over spilled milk at this point. I just went by the 7 year statement in the manual by Honda, they should know how long their stuff lasts is the way I looked at it. There is a YouTube channel JeepFix, he addressed this issue with World Pac and Aisin 2 or 3 years ago, that the water pumps coming out of the factory and being sent to him were terrible looking. Perhaps being unlucky I got one of those, despite the fact that everything looked really fresh in the Rock Auto box.

"...The scary thing is if you are stranded..."
BINGO. We have totally different experiences of the world around us (I am 70 y/o now so beginning
to see it more as a woman would. With sense! As a man I didn't have sense... I could walk in the rain,
go thru a 'bad section' of a city, etc).
Glad U found the spot, keep goin till ya got what U need.
God bless U. (or "Bless my heart" or other remark of encouragement'n care).
- -Chad
BTW: 'over worry' is not pointed in ur direction. My customers should trust me or not come to my place~
Thanks Chad. I over worrying because I am in healthcare and take care of people as my job. I am OCD so I like things to be just so. I just want my nice easy motor back the way it was before I made the unwise decision to have all of this done,...which was purely out of emotion and not thinking sense. But who knows what the parts look like behind a shield. God Bless you Chad

I have read at least one entry in the Odyssey forum where the individual had a bit of slack in the tensioner using the Mitsuboshi belt with the Yamada pump. He resolved it by installing the Unitta belt and suggested the Mitsuboshi was ever so slightly longer. I have used Mitsuboshi timing belts on 4 cylinder Hondas with perfect results, but the Honda V-6's seem to be more particular. In my opinion, the Japanese made Unitta timing belt is higher quality than the Thailand made Mitsuboshi belt for the J35 motor, regardless of actual or perceived thickness. I have NEVER heard of a Yamada / Unitta combo installation that has caused any noise, unlike the AISIN / Mitsuboshi combo. There is too much labor involved to potentially save ~$100 by reusing the Mitsuboshi belt.
What are your thoughts Nukeman7 on the TSB from 2019 on the Unitta belt recall? I am not being argumentative, just looking for information. It was because they wanted to increase production and made new molds but the belts did not cure properly and teeth separated. Of course they fixed the issue.
How do you mean they are higher quality? I had a Gates/Japan belt on my car at one time during this ordeal and I thought my engine sounded rough. I am assuming because it was Gates/Japan that is a Unitta belt? I have it hanging in my garage as a comparison to the Mitsuboshi belt.
How do I know the manufacture date on the belt? I do not know what the numbers mean.
Thanks for your time.

rcs - you shouldn't worry too much. This country is more connected and accessible than ever before. I've heard tales from my parents/grandparents and others their ages (and even I'm old enough to have a few) of things that they did when cars weren't as reliable and communications weren't what they are today... And still they all managed. Get your annoying pump replaced and motor bravely, perhaps even brashly on down the road!

And welcome to the forum BTW! You say you're ocd? You'll fit right in then... This forum is full of people like that 😂

rcs - you shouldn't worry too much. This country is more connected and accessible than ever before. I've heard tales from my parents/grandparents and others their ages (and even I'm old enough to have a few) of things that they did when cars weren't as reliable and communications weren't what they are today... And still they all managed. Get your annoying pump replaced and motor bravely, perhaps even brashly on down the road!

And welcome to the forum BTW! You say you're ocd? You'll fit right in then... This forum is full of people like that 😂
Awe thanks so much Eric for the kind words, it makes me feel so much better. Glad to know that others are OCD also!:D

If @The Critic says not to worry about it I would believe him

IF you don’t like the noise go to the dealer and have them redo the job with there parts and a tech that may care
Great advice thank you,,..that is the way I am leaning...to have the water pump replaced. The independent mechanic used to be a Honda tech,...it's that he is so busy. Hopefully the tech at the dealership will be as precise.

Back