Yamada water pumps

rcs

Hi guys,
I have the awful warble noise with my newly installed Aisin kit. I have read on these forums that 1 in 4 people have this issue, and it is recommended to replace it with the Yamada, and the TB with the Unitta/Gates, to get rid of the noise. I have researched but cannot find any reviews on that water pump. I have read and reviewed the Aisin one is as good as OEM. Can anyone give this gal any long term information on the Yamada water pump and how it has held up? I am in healthcare and need my car to work well all the time. I believed in the Aisin kit from the reviews and that is what my mechanic installed, he likes it also, but this noise has me really scared, after the car warms up. I have a Honda Pilot 2015 with 49,000 miles and had the TB kit all changed because of the 7 year age per Honda. I am willing to spend the money to get this taken care of, even though this was all just replaced within this last month. Ugh!:cry:

I appreciate and thank you in advance for your expertise.
rcs

I don’t have specific experience with these parts, but if the new one makes an “awful” noise, that would tell me what I need to know about its quality.

I don’t have specific experience with these parts, but if the new one makes an “awful” noise, that would tell me what I need to know about its quality.
Good point. The topic of the warble noise is well documented. I was just trying to find those who have the Yamada pump installed if they have had any issues with it as well. Some people have problems with Aisin pump and others do not. Disappointing to say the least after spending so much money.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Yamada is the OE supplier, so it shouldn't have the noise. Aisin isn't actually OE on those. However, the warbling noise on the Aisin pump doesn't actually do any damage or cause any other problems; the noise is just annoying.

DO NOT buy the water pump on Amazon or ebay unless you know it's coming from a reputable dealer. Don't buy it if it's fulfilled by Amazon or even directly from Amazon, because Amazon co-mingles their own inventory with that of third-party FBA sellers.

The only place to get the Yamada water pump and Unitta TB is the dealer. Gates you buy from the parts stores is not the same (you'll get an inferior US Gates belt)

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Yamada is the OE supplier, so it shouldn't have the noise. Aisin isn't actually OE on those. However, the warbling noise on the Aisin pump doesn't actually do any damage or cause any other problems; the noise is just annoying.

DO NOT buy the water pump on Amazon or ebay unless you know it's coming from a reputable dealer. Don't buy it if it's fulfilled by Amazon or even directly from Amazon, because Amazon co-mingles their own inventory with that of third-party FBA sellers.

The only place to get the Yamada water pump and Unitta TB is the dealer. Gates you buy from the parts stores is not the same (you'll get an inferior US Gates belt)
Thanks so much slacktide. Great to know there is no damage being done. Can you replace the water pump without replacing the timing belt, do you have to remove the timing belt in order to get to the water pump. I am just trying to decide if I should have this done. If it is possible to just replace the pump or if I need to do both. I am just worried about the Gates belt. Or if the unitta belt is better than the Mitsubishi belt.This will be the 2nd time within 1 month. I had it done twice be an independent garage Using the Aisin kit Long story…anyway this time I would have it done at the dealership Do it this time, but I don’t want to replace the pulleys and tensioner etc. but I do understand they would have to replace the tensioner If the take the timing belt off

Thanks so much slacktide. Great to know there is no damage being done. Can you replace the water pump without replacing the timing belt, do you have to remove the timing belt in order to get to the water pump. I am just trying to decide if I should have this done. If it is possible to just replace the pump or if I need to do both. I am just worried about the Gates belt. Or if the unitta belt is better than the Mitsubishi belt.This will be the 2nd time within 1 month. I had it done twice be an independent garage Using the Aisin kit Long story…anyway this time I would have it done at the dealership Do it this time, but I don’t want to replace the pulleys and tensioner etc. but I do understand they would have to replace the tensioner If the take the timing belt off

The water pump is driven by the timing belt, so you have to remove the TB :(

The OEM Unitta belt is better, but there is nothing wrong with the Mitsuboshi belt you have in the Aisin kit :)

The water pump is driven by the timing belt, so you have to remove the TB :(

The OEM Unitta belt is better, but there is nothing wrong with the Mitsuboshi belt you have in the Aisin kit :)
Thanks …so please teach me…why is the Unitta belt better? Is it structurally better, better warranty? Like I mentioned I am just wondering if having those 2 things replaced if it will take care of the noise. I am not a mechanic and know nothing about this. But I did see the parts and the pulleys Koyo brand , tensioner seem to be very well made compared to the Gates China one that I have seen. OEM, do they use those brands at the dealership?

If your mechanic did the work wasn't it with a warranty?
Yes but he says “engines make noise” . He did not hear it at first then the second time he heard it. He keeps dismissing me and says the car runs fine…just drive it.

Yes but he says “engines make noise” . He did not hear it at first then the second time he heard it. He keeps dismissing me and says the car runs fine…just drive it.
That makes no sense. If engine makes noise he should be able to locate the noise and find out it is coming from the water pump. It's not that hard.

Or perhaps it not the water pump at all?

That makes no sense. If engine makes noise he should be able to locate the noise and find out it is coming from the water pump. It's not that hard.

Or perhaps it not the water pump at all?
Exactly. His comment to me was he can’t spend the time to figure it out and chase noises.but through my research I have figured it through this great forum, the Piloteers and through the Odyssey forum.

Back