Would you drive 500 miles to buy a 1963 International Loadstar?

I get the feeling that he really didn't realize that he was buying a vehicle that was twice the size of his old Ford.

I think you’re right. The size seemed to be a shocker at first sight. It must have been a sight seeing that truck on a trailer going down the highway.

The Ford probably lost a few years of life from that tow job not to mention the A/C failure.

That was a cool story.

I thought it was weird for the Ford to struggle so much, but then when I saw it was a 6.4L I understood.

As the story progressed I was wondering if the IH would be used to tow the Ford home!

I know 5th wheels put more weight onto the tow rig, but that Ford seemed to have a lot squat in the rear, no?

526 miles, I wonder what an unloaded IH would have burned for gas. 8mpg if the tune was good is my guess, but that's a pure guess, could be 5 for all I know. I wonder what the top speed is (other than slow in the flats and walking in the hills).

Still enjoy a good story about old trucks.

As the story progressed I was wondering if the IH would be used to tow the Ford home!

I know 5th wheels put more weight onto the tow rig, but that Ford seemed to have a lot squat in the rear, no?

526 miles, I wonder what an unloaded IH would have burned for gas. 8mpg if the tune was good is my guess, but that's a pure guess, could be 5 for all I know. I wonder what the top speed is (other than slow in the flats and walking in the hills).

Still enjoy a good story about old trucks.

I noticed that squat too.

I used to own a Scout with the 304 and it got 10mpg. Those Cornbinders sure loved gasoline. This truck had the 345ci motor so 5-8 is probably correct. It put out 197 horsepower. My CX5 puts out 185 in the 4 banger. 🤣

Figuring the cost of gasoline for the trip versus the repair of that A/C on the Ford, they should have driven the Binder.

500 miles? I’ve gone across country! Definitely. That’s the best way to buy a vehicle.

Back in January, I sold my old 1995 Saturn with 260,000 miles (for $1,250) on it to someone that drove about 500 miles to pick it up. Thought he was crazy, going only on pictures and answering a few of his questions. Really wanted a Saturn. He had traveled previously about four hours round-trip to check out one that he decided not to buy.

I have a soft spot for IH. My grandfather started as a door to door salesman and by the time he retired he was head of the farm division before it was sold. We grew up in Scouts, and while they were huge hunks of rusting ****, still pretty cool memories.

Back in January, I sold my old 1995 Saturn with 260,000 miles (for $1,250) on it to someone that drove about 500 miles to pick it up. Thought he was crazy, going only on pictures and answering a few of his questions. Really wanted a Saturn. He had traveled previously about four hours round-trip to check out one that he decided not to buy.
When I sold my Jetta it had 314k on the clock. The guy flew from WI to NH. I picked him up at the airport; he had like a backpack. He then drove up to Acadia Maine before turning around to drive back to WI.

That story was really just a smattering of points.

The author didn't describe the purchased truck to any degree.

That the motion caused by loading the trailer breaking parts off the AC went without description made me think the picture was phony (staged).
Seriously, how does a well maintained pick-up shed parts like that?

So cool. My 80ry/old FIL worked for an IH truck plant in Buffalo NY in the mid/later 1960s. I wonder if they built these..

When I sold my Jetta it had 314k on the clock. The guy flew from WI to NH. I picked him up at the airport; he had like a backpack. He then drove up to Acadia Maine before turning around to drive back to WI.
Did you ever hear what happened to it after he bought it? How far he took it these past years?

Did you ever hear what happened to it after he bought it? How far he took it these past years?
No, he wasn't very active on TDIclub and of course, once my TDi was gone I left that forum. So no idea.

A time or two I have wondered about getting it back. Totally not worth whatever it would cost to get back, let along what it'd cost to fix back up, and I suspect the love affair would be over with (can never go back and have it the same), but sometimes I really wish I had kept it.

Pretty cool story. I bet combine the truck and trailer are 16000ish lbs. So I imagine he has close to 3000lbs on the pin. I would expect a bit of squat.

My dad had a pair of those International Loadstar grain trucks, similar to the one above. One red and one white. I think the red one was just a little bit newer. Great memories of riding with him in them.

Both were lost in a machine shed fire many years ago and he upgraded to bigger and more modern trucks.

Even though they really only saw use during harvest time, I remember them getting worked on a lot.

i love the old international trucks 50's to 60's. my dad had a pair when i was young and they were work horses around the farm/ranch.
we never had any major issues, just serviced them, put fuel in them and ran them every day.

Every vehicle i currently own was traveled for and purchased outside of Utah. 350-500 miles on all 4 of my current vehicles. It's part of the fun of getting a vehicle really.

Back