Would you buy a Nissan with a manual?

I know Nissan cars with CV transmissions are universally reviled and there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that it’s justified, but what about the ones with manual transmissions? Would you buy a 2009-2012 era Nissan car with a stick shift, or is the brand just permanently off your buy list?

I just don't think Nissan's standard offerings are good modern cars. The Z is awesome and they make solid trucks and SUVs. Sure having a manual would fix a lot of the CVT downfalls, but I never thought the manual Nissans I've had were particularly good to use. The 2005 SpecV I had was probably the worst manual I've ever driven and the car itself was fun, but the shifter feel was atrocious.

Isn't the Sentra the only NIssan model with a stick? I'd rather have a VW Golf or a Mazda3.
Starting next year you won't be able to get a stick in a Golf and the base Golf has been gone for a few years, so that means a $33k GTI with no manual as of 2025.

Agreed I’m not brand loyal and I just junked my 1998 Maxima SE last year. Imho Nissan has fallen and can’t get up so no.

I’m overseas in a third world country as I type and Toyota and Hyundai seem to dominate. Not many Hondas and for some reason lots of Ford Ranger Raptors? Not sure if they’re the same as in USA or stickers.

If I had to I’d go with a Toyota. Only owned (currently) 1 of their products in my lifetime…

2010 was the last year for a 6MT in a Altima, why not a 3.5 V6 SR Coupe?
1708920126799.jpg

1708920153223.jpg

After 2010, your only choices were Sentra/Versa and Frontier or 370Z
How badly do you want a poverty spec Sentra/Versa?
A sporty/special edition would be one thing, bottom trim is different :rolleyes:

Perhaps a base or S trim Cube?

How badly do you want a poverty spec Sentra/Versa?
A sporty/special edition would be one thing, bottom trim is different :rolleyes:
LOL, I'm tempted to buy a '24 Versa in the base model (if I could find one) before the MT and the economy sedan disappears. Not sure I can justify a new car given I am not doing a lot of miles, but rust is going to get me in a couple of years.

What's the Cube version of Big Altima Energy? Maybe Boxy Altima Energy?

I'd avoid Nissans across the board BUT if you must have one, yeah, manual will avoid the CVT plague.

I wouldn't be afraid to own a Nissan Cube with a stick but it needs to be a good buy. Those are rare cars. I doubt I'd see one in a local salvage yard near me if say I needed to replace the tailgate.

LOL, I'm tempted to buy a '24 Versa in the base model (if I could find one) before the MT and the economy sedan disappears. Not sure I can justify a new car given I am not doing a lot of miles, but rust is going to get me in a couple of years.
Sometimes I wonder if the car industry is like the concert industry.

Last shows!!!! 2015!!!! This is it!! 50th anniversary 2 cities only!!!!!

Then tour 2016-2023 with final shows 2023!

Now 24 shows announced for 2024.

Seems like more manuals available now than 5 years ago…

If GM says “last year for the L87, buy now or never again!” I’d run and buy one, and likely 10 years later in 2038: GM announces L93, best yet!

If you ask anything about Nissan (or H/K) here the vast majority of people here just hate them, but most can't even say they owned one.

My 2011 Frontier at 175K has had Zero problems. You could get it with a manual but I bet the auto is more reliable, my 2008 Xterra has almost 400K miles and no issues with the auto trans.

Z car or a few infinitis were available with a manual trans in those years. You could get an Altima in 2009 / 2010 with a manual. I would buy any of those.

The small cars like a Versa - I presume by now 2009 to 2012 would be dirt cheap. If it otherwise runs good and is dirt cheap, why not.

In those years even the hallowed Toyota made some crap. You can get yourself a sticky ring oil burning Camry or Rav4 and still pay a lot. Or a Yaris.

What car are we talking about?

Unless it's a fun car (i.e. fast), zero interest in a manual transmission car, especially a FWD one. The whole "better driving experience" thing goes away when you're stuck in traffic for 2 hours a day, and most FWD manual trans shifters feel about like a soggy pool noodle in a tub of pudding. If someone made a FWD manual trans that felt like a T-56 or a T-6060, maybe.

My good experiences with pre-Renault Nissan definitely do not match my experiences with post-Renault Nissan. '99 and 2001 Altimas were tanks...newer stuff, not so much.

Back