Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

Minivans are the best people movers.

If you tow anything above 3500 or want to go off-road they are a hard stop.

Vans in every part of the world are more efficient in space utilization, but in nadm its a social stigma for some reason. Id pick a hybrid sienna in a heartbeat, i hear you can run a microwave and cook bacon with its built in inverter.
Many vehicles now have 1500W outlets. But, hybrid Sienna, for me, is a snail even empty. I cannot imagine 6 people in it with gear, etc.

That is how 90% of trucks find audience.

I hear that kind of stuff all the time, but I don't personally know anybody it rings true for.

Although people will say this or that is "ugly" Im not sure thats an image projection thing. This is usually big 4 trucks owners bashing their competition.

The tropes I do find to be true are -

#1 "because that's the truck dad/grandpa had"

#2 "because someday I may do something Ill need it for" - When questioning people on why they own a half ton truck to begin with.
Many of these are base 4x2' without really only a bed as their prime "capability".

I guess an update is due. One of the desired functions was AWD or 4x4, to avoid buying a 2nd vehicle for off-the-pavement stuff. 14MPG doesn't scare my friend. He'd "much rather have a 14MPG Armada that stays on the road, than a 25MPG van that chews out transmissions left and right and sits in the shop. Cheaper in the long run."
His words, not mine. That being said - some minivans (with known reliable drivetrains) did make it on the list. Search goes on, so far 2011+ Odyssey seems to have their attention. He's lurking at this thread occasionally and thanks everyone for the input.

I guess an update is due. One of the desired functions was AWD or 4x4, to avoid buying a 2nd vehicle for off-the-pavement stuff. 14MPG doesn't scare my friend. He'd "much rather have a 14MPG Armada that stays on the road, than a 25MPG van that chews out transmissions left and right and sits in the shop. Cheaper in the long run."
His words, not mine. That being said - some minivans (with known reliable drivetrains) did make it on the list. Search goes on, so far 2011+ Odyssey seems to have their attention. He's lurking at this thread occasionally and thanks everyone for the input.
I had Toyota Sienna AWD. There are a lot of flaws IMO, which everyone knows here how I feel about that vehicle.
But the drivetrain is the strongest thing on that vehicle.
The problem with that vehicle, and a major reason why I sold it and got Atlas, is clearance. If your friend needs AWD, but not more than 6.2" of clearance, it will serve him well.

I hear that kind of stuff all the time, but I don't personally know anybody it rings true for.

Although people will say this or that is "ugly" Im not sure thats an image projection thing. This is usually big 4 trucks owners bashing their competition.

The tropes I do find to be true are -

#1 "because that's the truck dad/grandpa had"

#2 "because someday I may do something Ill need it for" - When questioning people on why they own a half ton truck to begin with.
Many of these are base 4x2' without really only a bed as their prime "capability".
I think it depends on the crowd. In my neighborhood, there are a lot of trucks. 99% serve as commuter vehicles.

I think it depends on the crowd. In my neighborhood, there are a lot of trucks. 99% serve as commuter vehicles.

The "half ton commuter" is pretty much # 2 I was referring to.

If money is an issue they probably shouldn’t be buying a big used v8 pig of a “family hauler”.

That said, I think VA has pretty stringent inspection requirements. Not that it means a ton, and could be part of the reason why a 150k mile suv is being traded in… but that may go into the calculus.

Last edited:
I dont disagree with that.

As long as we keep incentivizing people to buy vehicles with a GVWR of over 6K pick ups will remain the best selling vehicles.
Nothing wrong with pickups and with incentivizing people to buy them. They’re just the wrong tool for most jobs. And I own three of them.

It’s the insurance and vehicle registration costs that make multi-car ownership unpalatable to most. Make it cheap to own and keep a pickup and a fuel efficient car, and more folks might own both. One of the two need not be pretty. And the net result would probably be better overall.

My problem with a minivan. Isn't 6.2 inch clearance and AWD and oxy moron? 6.2 inches wouldn't clear our potholes.
No it is not oxy moron. In snow they have value, in gravel etc. New Honda Pilot comes with 7.6" of clearance, so, more, but not drastically.
I think clearance is an issue if they really want to venture out. But in that case even if they have clearance, tires might be an issue., So, minivan with AWD might be only thing they need. Sienna did not work for us bcs. we do go places where I need clearance. But if they don't, and need AWD just for the sake of AWD, than, SIenna is IMO best bet.
Also, my BMW is lower than 6", but I will take it in snow over absolutely any SUV, whether that is CR-V or Land Cruiser.

Your friend is misinformed. Most mini vans out there do not have transmissions issues.

That is how 90% of trucks find audience.

Amazing how many grown men worry about the image their vehicle projects.

Many people drive SUVs or Trucks or Sports cars because they are better vehicles for their needs.

Just because I prefer to drive a truck (beyond the fact that I need one as well) and not a slow pathetic appliance doesn't mean I'm worried about my image or something along those lines.

It just means I have a soul and enjoy driving.

I drive a pickup truck, albeit mid-size now. I use it maybe once a month for its purpose. I grew up riding around in one my dad used daily for its purpose. I wouldn't have it any other way. The older and more banged up the truck is, the better.

I also hold my wife's purse (and two daughters at this point) and could give less than one iota about some image idea.

Your friend is misinformed. Most mini vans out there do not have transmissions issues.
His feedback came from having transmission failures in Mercury Villager and Volkswagen Routan, both of which he owned in the past. Ever since then he never trusted minivans.

Back