Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

My truck tows, that was the main reason for getting it. Before that I had a Grand Cherokee. Before that I had a few cars. The "soul" bit was just a little hyperbole. I see now from your sig you're driving a caravan, didn't mean to set anything off and if I noticed sooner I probably wouldn't have said that, clearly we all have different wants and needs in our transportation.

But the truck is 10 times a better driving vehicle than a minivan. Not just in comfort. It has a smooth powerful v8 with lots of character, for a start. No it's not a porche, but it's definitely not just A to B transportation either.

So given my towing needs, a truck, a full size van, or a large SUV/suburban are basically the only real options for me. I think the vast majority of people would prefer to drive a truck over any van; because they drive nicer, have more room, have powerful v8s etc.

Can we move on now?
I take no offense when people express their opinion that they dislike minivans. I also didn't like them until my family grew big enough where a minivan was the best logical choice. Now that I own one, my opinion of them has totally changed. They are the best people haulers by a large margin. Just like trucks are the best for towing.

I agree that some trucks probably have a better ride. I would expect that when some of them approach $100k these days.
I'm not a truck guy, but I know enough about them and their setups depending on how much towing capacity they have, that not all of them have a comfortable ride.
Minivans ride surprising well, so assuming that a truck or an SUV automatically has a better ride just shows your bias, nothing more.

Besides a suburban type vehicle, none of this is true.

Four door pickups have less space, require someone sitting in the front center if carrying more than five people (and who wants to sit in the little rear center seat in any vehicle?!?), and requires cargo in the bed. Full size vans just aren’t appointed anywhere near as nice as minivans.

I’m not against trucks, but the comparisons like this really aren’t right.

Suburban vs minivan Id agree. But the swing out doors are nowhere near as useful, especially for accessing the third row. And you can probably buy and drive two minivans for the same purchase and fuel bill as a suburban…

I said most people would rather drive a truck over any van, for a combination of reasons. Trucks do have more room (in the bed, second row seating, front row seating, side to side room) than a mini van, vs a full size van the room is just proportioned differently (throw a cap on back and you can take a ton of cargo with you as well). But the truck is still definitely nicer than a full size. How many families have more than 2 or 3 kids?

I take no offense when people express their opinion that they dislike minivans. I also didn't like them until my family grew big enough where a minivan was the best logical choice. Now that I own one, my opinion of them has totally changed. They are the best people haulers by a large margin. Just like trucks are the best for towing.

I agree that some trucks probably have a better ride. I would expect that when some of them approach $100k these days.

If you hop into a base model tradesman with a v8, you will be shocked at how well it drives. You don't need the air suspension, which is on completely different level yet again.

I'm not a truck guy, but I know enough about them and their setups depending on how much towing capacity they have, that not all of them have a comfortable ride.
Minivans ride surprising well, so assuming that a truck or an SUV automatically has a better ride just shows your bias, nothing more.

They do ride better. I've been in minivans, no comparison. We're not talking about a 1 ton diesel dually, just a half ton. These trucks have morphed into the family hauler, they can still haul a bunch of weight or cargo but their focus is on comfort, space, and utility. If you hop into a top trim, you'll be shocked at the luxury these trucks can provide. Air suspension, giant panoramic sun roofs, large and powerful v8s, all the tech you can imagine like HUD's, self driving, massaging seats, adaptive headlights - there is much to like about todays half tons. Perhaps you need to sit in one more recent than 2000's era.

The only thing that shines (IMHO) about a van is hauling hids and people; that sliding door is handy. If you don't need to haul people, you can find more comfort, more luxury, more performance, more everything in a truck (or a smaller SUV).

We can argue about it all day but the facts remain; most people prefer a truck over a van or minivan. Just look at the sales. That's not just because of looks (which was the original statement that triggered this little discussions).

I said most people would rather drive a truck over any van, for a combination of reasons. Trucks do have more room (in the bed, second row seating, front row seating, side to side room) than a mini van, vs a full size van the room is just proportioned differently (throw a cap on back and you can take a ton of cargo with you as well). But the truck is still definitely nicer than a full size. How many families have more than 2 or 3 kids?
How many capped trucks do you see? I can’t remember when I saw one last. I own three pickups. One has a tonneau, which works and isn’t too big. But it has limitations. Severe ones.

Other than front seat space, the rest of this I don’t really agree with. Sure the front seats are marginally bigger. But you know what? I have more legroom in my Mercedes sedans than my fullsize pickups or minivan.

Rear seat space?!? lol. I’ve had to ride in the back of crew and club cab full size pickups. I’ll take the captain chair in our odyssey.

With three kids, the van has been super. Even when we just had two, and strollers. And bikes. And other junk. Minivans have been efficient and effective. Oh, and we can get 30mpg on a road trip, not 18. I own three pickups. One minivan. I love trucks. But it doesn’t mean they’re the best thing for most activities.

Last edited:
How many capped trucks do you see?
Far more than guys without families driving minivans.

I can’t remember when I saw one last. I own three pickups. One has a tonneau, which works and isn’t too big. But it has limitations. Severe ones.

Other than front seat space, the rest of this I don’t really agree with. Sure the front seats are marginally bigger. But you know what? I have more legroom in my Mercedes sedans than my fullsize pickups or minivan.

Rear seat space?!? lol. I’ve had to ride in the back of crew and club cab full size pickups. I’ll take the captain chair in our odyssey.
I think you need to sit in a modern truck. They really do have more space than minivans.

With three kids, the van has been super. Even when we just had two, and strollers.

Yes and I've said that right from the start. Minivans are for kids/hauling lots of people.

And bikes. And other junk. Minivans have been efficient and effective. Oh, and we can get 30mpg on a road trip, not 18. I own three pickups. One minivan. I love trucks. But it doesn’t mean they’re the best thing for most activities.

You insist on being an exception in this case but the sales numbers tell a far different story.

This is completely silly. Doesn't matter what trucks were in the past.

Have you driven a modern half ton and then jumped into a minivan? You don't buy a minivan because it's a great buy, you buy it because you a need way to stuff some snot nosed kids and cargo in a car and get from A to B.

Trucks have long past the days of working on a farmers field. These things rival luxury cars like Mercedes in their upper trims. Now stuff a v8 in it, just no comparison whatsoever to a minivan.
Yes, I have driven new trucks. No, they don't rival luxury brands. The only Mercedes that the upper trim truck can rival is A250, in base trim.
Performance is not only 0-60. Trucks bcs. of torque and gearing are pretty good in 0-60. Until they have to break, or take a curve etc. 0-60 is for amateurs and YouTube fans.
They have their role, and they're good at what they are made for. That ain't performance, comfort or hauling family.

If you hop into a base model tradesman with a v8, you will be shocked at how well it drives. You don't need the air suspension, which is on completely different level yet again.

They do ride better. I've been in minivans, no comparison. We're not talking about a 1 ton diesel dually, just a half ton. These trucks have morphed into the family hauler, they can still haul a bunch of weight or cargo but their focus is on comfort, space, and utility. If you hop into a top trim, you'll be shocked at the luxury these trucks can provide. Air suspension, giant panoramic sun roofs, large and powerful v8s, all the tech you can imagine like HUD's, self driving, massaging seats, adaptive headlights - there is much to like about todays half tons. Perhaps you need to sit in one more recent than 2000's era.

The only thing that shines (IMHO) about a van is hauling hids and people; that sliding door is handy. If you don't need to haul people, you can find more comfort, more luxury, more performance, more everything in a truck (or a smaller SUV).

We can argue about it all day but the facts remain; most people prefer a truck over a van or minivan. Just look at the sales. That's not just because of looks (which was the original statement that triggered this little discussions).
Any real BOF truck is not going to be as comfortable as a minivan. Basic engineering works against it. My neighbor has brand new Silverado, and sometimes I help him with some stuff as he is pushing close to 80, so I drive his truck. Thanx, I will take my BMW 328 on any long trip over that. Actually, seats in my small BMW, while tighter, are by a big margin longer. And we talk about small, stick shift vehicle that has suspensions upgraded for the track.
Road trips I do in Atlas or did in SIenna or BMW X5 that span 4-6k miles, gives me chills thinking doing that in Silverado or RAM.

Far more than guys without families driving minivans.
Hogwash. You talked about capped trucks for capacity if carrying stuff. Anyone that needs to carry real stuff will use a van, not a capped truck. Again, should be the right tool for the job… and I can’t recall when I saw a capped truck, family hauler or single person last, besides a few corporate trucks.

So I think you’re far off on how many folks drive a capped pickup and pretend it has the actual utility or anything with locked space.
I think you need to sit in a modern truck. They really do have more space than minivans.
What makes you think I haven’t? Because I own older ones? My FIL owns multiple recent model Fords. They’re not really different than my 96 Ram which was pretty well appointed. Sure the newer ones have. Ore tech and safety features. But dimensions aren’t really that far different. Ive also rented full-size crew cab trucks on multiple occasions. As well as suburbans… and???
You insist on being an exception in this case but the sales numbers tell a far different story.
Lots of people make stupid purchase decisions. So???

How many trucks are sold to fleets, commercial, etc. versus being used for primary transport. Heck,,as Imsaid, I own three. Not sure what story you’re trying to claim.

The real point of this thread was about purchase of a vehicle for a family hauler, to be bought by folks who had a pretty meager budget. The thread is about family haulers. Which isn’t a pickup with a cap. They want a $10k high mileage SUV that’s going to return 18 mpg at best. That’s the discussion. Not how many f-150 trucks get bought by fleets. And for a family that can’t afford better than. >10 years old and $10k, efficient and economic shoukd be the criteria, not what strokes your ego or makes someone feel manly. The request was for a family hauler.

vehicles are like anything else really
whether its watches, motorcycles, knives, or guns....aesthetics matter
not looking like a goober or somebody's mom matters
having a solid function to form ratio is good design

but full size trucks are not the big sellers they are because they are cooler (more "manly") than other vehicles. They are popular because their greenhouses have better all around visibility and sit much higher than cars which most people associate with 'safety'. The longer wheelbase and track width coupled with todays suspension tech does in fact make them ride about as well as cars do if not better in most cases.
The main downsides being much worse gas mileage, higher priced tires and getting used to parking the dang thing
oh and worse ingress and egress.
There is a reason most cars sold today are more truck and SUV (just tall wagons) like than traditional 3 box styled sedans from two decades ago. Near everything is some flavor of "crossover" these days.

if the family the OP mentioned is prepared to cut four latte's out of their weekly Starbucks budget for fuel then they should go for it because having the option of going off-road can be lifechanging. Some of my best memories and life stories happened out deep innawoods which is something no minivan can do.

Last edited:
Hogwash. You talked about capped trucks for capacity if carrying stuff. Anyone that needs to carry real stuff will use a van, not a capped truck. Again, should be the right tool for the job… and I can’t recall when I saw a capped truck, family hauler or single person last, besides a few corporate trucks.

So I think you’re far off on how many folks drive a capped pickup and pretend it has the actual utility or anything with locked space.

What makes you think I haven’t? Because I own older ones? My FIL owns multiple recent model Fords. They’re not really different than my 96 Ram which was pretty well appointed. Sure the newer ones have. Ore tech and safety features. But dimensions aren’t really that far different. Ive also rented full-size crew cab trucks on multiple occasions. As well as suburbans… and???

Lots of people make stupid purchase decisions. So???

How many trucks are sold to fleets, commercial, etc. versus being used for primary transport. Heck,,as Imsaid, I own three. Not sure what story you’re trying to claim.

The real point of this thread was about purchase of a vehicle for a family hauler, to be bought by folks who had a pretty meager budget. The thread is about family haulers. Which isn’t a pickup with a cap. They want a $10k high mileage SUV that’s going to return 18 mpg at best. That’s the discussion. Not how many f-150 trucks get bought by fleets. And for a family that can’t afford better than. >10 years old and $10k, efficient and economic shoukd be the criteria, not what strokes your ego or makes someone feel manly. The request was for a family hauler.

You guys drive what you want. This argument has extended into completely nuts territory at this point and I'm not going to continue it for a third day as when it comes down to it it's basically cutting up someone else's preference.

Back