Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

Many since when ? I have owned them all since the 80’s and still do - cut them all.
Those valves serve different functions and you know it.
Some factory filters have base end and replacement have dome end.
Why test what nobody is buying ?
What years and models of GMs have you owned? My LS7 Vette has the filter bypass in the block, and it's way newer than the 80s.

Last thing like you speak of would have been a PF46 … why test filters from that era if fewer and fewer folks purchased them or exceed average age on the road? Already made the transition from those to PF48 to PF63E now …

Another thing of interest is starting in 2014 … the way that new oil pump kicks in you hit high pressure based on engine “demand” … so you see that sharp pressure surge right when the downshift occurs and well before engine RPM rises.

Last edited:
Last thing like you speak of would have been a PF46 … why test filters from that era if fewer and fewer folks purchased them or exceed average age on the road? Already made the transition from those to PF48 to PF63E now …
My comment was basically about testing filters without a bypass valve vs filters that have one. The reason being is to take out any risk of a leaking bypass valve from possibly skewing data of the filter's media performance. It was just a thought since the media efficiency is one of the main goals of the testing. He's only going to test one filter of each brand & model, so if he happens to get a defective filter it would skew the performance. Taking the bypass valve out of the equation might be something to consider in this "test program".

My comment was basically about testing filters without a bypass valve vs filters that have one. The reason being is to take out any risk of a leaking bypass valve from possibly skewing data of the filter's media performance. It was just a thought since the media efficiency is one of the main goals of the testing. He's only going to test one filter of each brand & model, so if he happens to get a defective filter it would skew the performance. Taking the bypass valve out of the equation might be something to consider in this "test program".
Reading the TS/OP … it’s OEM and several aftermarket filters to test for Chevy trucks. I’d suggest 2014 to date.
But, I’ll just move on on here and let others comment …

No, all test data I run for media, or filter manufacturers is confidential. We sign NDA's. That's why this project is so different for me as I can share it, but that also means I have to pay for it.

Hi AFT and welcome to BITOG. It’s good to have another experienced Separation Science (Filtration) SME on board. I mainly work in Level I and III but have to troubleshoot in Level II at times. I might be able to throw some business your way on testing a given design against a specific process and contamination scenario if this is within your business model beyond the typical automotive type/canister filtration. You do say filtration and not end product specific so I’m asking for clarification.

I fully understand and respect what you go through to build your internal data and protect confidentiality. I do the same thing and try to maintain vendor neutrality at all times in spite of my personal preferences and never reveal client specifics.

Your site is a little light on detail but do you go into filtration consulting and in industrial areas such as belt filtration, candle, Leaf, Press, Packed Bed, Membrane etc. and particle analysis to design media for a given specific process and then troubleshooting or are you a finished product testing and certification lab? This could include calculating Darcy et al and various permutations and combinations of the equation as it would relate to a specific process or filtration requirement.

Are you capable of a full spectrum analysis such as a wash study and CFD modeling to get total solids by bulk, size, distribution and geometry and design warp/weft/Satin numbers, depth properties to a theoretical model for capture and retention or separation?

Is your lab and engineering staff capable of FMEA/RCFA design and forensic evaluations of various media to establish characteristics of surface straining, depth straining and later depth filtration (sub bedding) in order to properly evaluate/anticipate a particular woven or felt media (synthetic or otherwise) against a particular scenario?

Do you do the same for air filtration and specialized tests like air permeation in addition to all the MERV stuff?

Lastly, is your lab ISO certified and you have a documented quality plan and credentials and associations available for client review should they require it? Sometimes I run into that because it’s one thing to have a test rig and “test to a standard”- some require an authorized testing facility as well. Most of mine is in mining, catalyst and chemical so they often need that level of validation.

Anyway, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing the results of your testing. I’m sure it will generate some very interested questions and be a huge benefit to the board.

Many since when ? I have owned them all since the 80’s and still do - cut them all.
Those valves serve different functions and you know it.
Some factory filters have base end and replacement have dome end.
Why test what nobody is buying ?

The Fram 3387a series filters have no bypass valve and I am not aware of any cross referenced competitors that have one either. This is a commonly sold filter for engines that see widespread usage like GM's 3.4L V-6 which has been around for decades.

The Fram 3387a series filters have no bypass valve and I am not aware of any cross referenced competitors that have one either. This is a commonly sold filter for engines that see widespread usage like GM's 3.4L V-6 which has been around for decades.
Chevy trucks …

These would be good to have data on to put some issues to rest:

Toyota 90915-yzzD1
Supertech ST 3614
Motorcraft 910s
Wix XP in the corresponding size to the above. Or Napa Platinum
Napa Gold in corresponding size

Any idea of the time frame? Within a year would be just fine there is not a rush.
Thanks

These would be good to have data on to put some issues to rest:

Toyota 90915-yzzD1
Supertech ST 3614
Motorcraft 910s
Wix XP in the corresponding size to the above. Or Napa Platinum
Napa Gold in corresponding size

Any idea of the time frame? Within a year would be just fine there is not a rush.
Thanks

RazorsEdge said:
You have an estimated time of when you will be doing the lab testing?
His reply:

After the new year I think. Trying to finish up our regular projects before Christmas, and get our people home to their families for a bit before I start.

Don't take this bad or personally...

Time will tell if that is indeed true...

I don't trust hardly hardly anyone.... Anywhere... Any setting...

In my hierarchy it is very,very easy for me to like someone...

It is harder for someone to gain my respect...

And trusting someone... Is quite a bit harder to get vs respect...

My experiences from work... Taught me that.

This is not that serious. Enjoy life, chill a little.

Jesus, the amount of people instantly going into defense mode is quite saddening.

This is a hobbyist centered forum, your life will not continue nor end based on the actions of a forum member on here.

Provide feedback related to what OP was asking. If you have nothing to contribute relating to said topic, move on. If you don’t think they’re sincere, then don’t feed the troll.

OP is choosing to do these things at their own expense, if they don’t deliver, what’s it to you?

Stop crying over spilled milk when the carton hasn’t even been opened yet.

Last edited:
Hi AFT and welcome to BITOG. It’s good to have another experienced Separation Science (Filtration) SME on board. I mainly work in Level I and III but have to troubleshoot in Level II at times. I might be able to throw some business your way on testing a given design against a specific process and contamination scenario if this is within your business model beyond the typical automotive type/canister filtration. You do say filtration and not end product specific so I’m asking for clarification.

I fully understand and respect what you go through to build your internal data and protect confidentiality. I do the same thing and try to maintain vendor neutrality at all times in spite of my personal preferences and never reveal client specifics.

Your site is a little light on detail but do you go into filtration consulting and in industrial areas such as belt filtration, candle, Leaf, Press, Packed Bed, Membrane etc. and particle analysis to design media for a given specific process and then troubleshooting or are you a finished product testing and certification lab? This could include calculating Darcy et al and various permutations and combinations of the equation as it would relate to a specific process or filtration requirement.

Are you capable of a full spectrum analysis such as a wash study and CFD modeling to get total solids by bulk, size, distribution and geometry and design warp/weft/Satin numbers, depth properties to a theoretical model for capture and retention or separation?

Is your lab and engineering staff capable of FMEA/RCFA design and forensic evaluations of various media to establish characteristics of surface straining, depth straining and later depth filtration (sub bedding) in order to properly evaluate/anticipate a particular woven or felt media (synthetic or otherwise) against a particular scenario?

Do you do the same for air filtration and specialized tests like air permeation in addition to all the MERV stuff?

Lastly, is your lab ISO certified and you have a documented quality plan and credentials and associations available for client review should they require it? Sometimes I run into that because it’s one thing to have a test rig and “test to a standard”- some require an authorized testing facility as well. Most of mine is in mining, catalyst and chemical so they often need that level of validation.

Anyway, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing the results of your testing. I’m sure it will generate some very interested questions and be a huge benefit to the board.
Hello,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for having me here.

If I can help you in any way I will. Separations covers such a broad spectrum of industries. I will try to sum up what we do and perhaps it may help a little.

I may be able to help you on portions of what you are trying to achieve, but not all. I will try to clear up the scope of what we do.

Customers send us their filters, cartridges, flat sheet media, and heads/housings for testing the filtration efficiency and capacity, and we send the reports to them. This can be in either the R and D stage, product qualification stage, or quality control stage for a product that is already established in circulation.

We also preform parts cleanliness testing for components on hydraulic fluid power systems, as well as batch fluid cleanliness testing.

Most consulting we do revolves around custom test design, and test stand design to accomplish defined goals as filter products are developed.

Off the top of my head, I can help with membrane media testing, and perhaps candle, and press. I cannot see us being able to assist with belt filtration, or leaf.

The packed bed reactors if it is a catalyst filled I cannot, if it is a precipitate forming reaction perhaps I can.

Darcy Permutations on only the components of your system we can test is a possibility, but not the big picture I imagine you want. Any CFD modeling would be done with Altair software, but this is not something we normally do.

As far as FMEA/RCFA design, we have a variation for our own machines as part of own internal quality plan, but do not provide this service.

No Air, no MERV, however I can recommend labs that do, as well as consultants with other specialties, that can help you in areas that I cannot.

We have our own internal quality plan. Thus far providing calibration certs for instruments used on tests to our customers has been sufficient for traceability. We have thought about an A2LA ISO 17025 accreditation, but at this time do not feel it necessary.

I hope this info helps, and please look up my phone from the AFT website and give me a call anytime next week. We can see if there is any way we can help you achieve your goals. Ask for Andrew.

This is going to be a fun project, and I hope we all can enjoy it together. I believe your vote was for Mobil-1.

I hope this info helps, and please look up my phone from the AFT website and give me a call anytime next week. We can see if there is any way we can help you achieve your goals. Ask for Andrew.

This is going to be a fun project, and I hope we all can enjoy it together. I believe your vote was for Mobil-1.
It gives me a good idea of your business and capability yes, thank you. I'll definitely be getting up with you after the first of the year and see about putting you on my vendor list when I come up with things in your area. I used to do what you do a lot but we now focus on other areas so I farm most of it out now. I presume you can work internationally?

Right now I'm belting, cycloning, centrifuging and belting so not much help there but when I get called there are always filtering opportunities and we cant handle them all.

I didn't vote or make a recommendation- I make it policy here or anywhere else not to make any recommendations due to me having to maintain impartiality and neutrality as a Consulting Engineer.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Yes, we work internationally. There is another user with a Military Veteran sign with that vote. I also am an Army Veteran. Understood, yes never recommend. In this case for me I will present the data, how to interpret, and after that I will take a step back. This is the wildest marketing campaign we have ever tried.
Enjoy what's left of the weekend and have a good evening.

I had a reservation about all of that... For good reason... Whether anyone likes it or not...

I was not making a false allegation or false accusation....

I was just stating what I believe needed to be stated...

Time and actions prove all things.

That is a unquestionable and irrefutable fact....

Let me tell you all something....

You know what it's like to walk in a room... To meet a lady who knows without question she is going to die... From pancreatic cancer???

I gave her my WORD that I would take care of her and be in to check on her often and give her anything she needs...
It's a big, big, big deal to give a dying person... Your word... Light years more important than this deal here.

She seemed to be apprehensive and unsure if I was really legit and going to do what I said I would do...

And I did not blame her for that... I understood that. She did not instantly trust me... And I certainly did not blame her for that. Because I understand her very reasonable skeptical mindset.

I went in that evening and did what I said I would do. . I could tell the lady who was around my own mom's age very much appreciated what I had not only said.. but what i Did by action... I also felt that the lady had been through a lot and had maybe not had the best patient experiences...

I took care of her for 3 weeks... And the last time I had her as my patient she did something that meant more than I can explain .. The CNAs and I had done some things with her... And has I was there she reached for my hand and pulled it towards her face and held it there against her face.

Guys... I had tears in my eyes right then... And I left the room with tears in my eyes understanding the very real purpose I was there....

I had made good on my words with her the first time I had met her... And her niece came out after that and talked with me. She told me that the patient was not prone to acts like that she had done with me. And I told her that I figured that and that's why what she did grabbing my hand and holding it next to her face meant so very much...

I would treat your mom, sister or grandmother etc the same exact way....

Last edited:
This is not that serious. Enjoy life, chill a little.

And I don't instantly trust people...

Maybe if you could read that other thread... With the "supposed" former employee from Purolator...

You may well understand where people could be a bit leery...

And that individual was very, very convincing...

In this circumstance...

I am leaning towards this member being legitimate and sincere...

Which would be absolutely great.

Back