Working Class Snowmobile

Came across this rig with a side by side and a snowmobile. The sled was a funny looking duck and turned out to be a Skidoo Tundra, known as a working man’s snowmobile. It has a 300 cc engine which is definitely not known for high performance like the 600 and 800 cc machines available. I understand they did later add larger engines to the Tundra but for many years they purposely kept the engine small to maximize mileage when far from a gas station.

8743FC3A-E111-49A8-888C-C5CBA16FF0D7.jpeg
60B38E01-DEB1-460B-B5C2-19DD65AD0782.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about snow mobiles, so this is just conjecture on my part for now ...
I guess as long as you'd not be towing large loads and/or had major hills to climb, it would probably do pretty well. 300cc in a dirt bike propels people just fine, and so given the higher rolling-resistance of having to perhaps break a new snow trail, it would still be adequate. If you had to get into deeper snow while pulling some load, I would imagine it would continue to motivate, albiet at a slower (much slower?) pace.

I don't follow snowmobiles. But I'm curious. What is the biggest, baddest, fastest, most powerful one of these things you can buy today? How fast? How much horsepower? How big of an engine? How much $$$$$$?

300 sized utility sled would most likely be a northern grocery getter. Towing wood and supplies needs a lot more motor. 600cc and up.
My club grooms with this, 24'' wide track 900 4 stroke, we have a older 600 4 stroke that pulls just fine also. Work sled have 2 speed high/low transmissions.

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_124333009_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230213_124333009_HDR.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 14
I can't imagine going almost 130 MPH on one of those things. They sure have evolved. Have any of them adopted a 4-cylinder Ninja / Hayabusa motorcycle type engine? Or doesn't an engine like that translate well to a snowmobile?

I believe they're using versions of that engine in watercraft and jet skis.

Also, how does your carrier work? Does it roll back and tilt down like a Jerr-Dan?

Go big or go home!! That snow machine is for herding dairy cows!! Not much fun factor.
I can't say I've actually driven that version of tundra, I like our 248cc 1987 Tundra though, fun little sled. The high hp mountain machines would be really fun if you have the money, snow, terrain, and flexible schedule to get out there on the good days. And if you are unlucky or take too many risks you might not come back.
I find on our little sled, you can sidehill and carve around in powder, just not wheelie, or point it up a mountain covered with 2' of fresh powder. If it's high traction snow it will go up a 40 deg slope pretty well. Lots of guys who stay in the valleys and in the trees like the various versions of the tundra for off trail exploring as they are light and agile and slow
83741604_10156683265215988_5509078856075575296_n.jpg
I'm kind of surprised someone has been making new versions of these in China, they are pretty simple and the prices for the old ones is going up now as you can't buy anything similar anymore.

128 mph on a ski do mxz 850 etec is the funniest thing i have ever heard in my life. the fastest stock sleds are 4 strokes turbo. real top speed by gps is 102 to 105 mph. fastest stock snowmobiles are yamaha sidewinder srx and arctic cat thundercat. they have the same engine. a 998 3 cylinder 4 stroke turbo engine with 200 horsepower stock and 204 horsepower measured on dyno. they have 105mph top speed stock measured with gps. they can reach over 110 mph with some prep and with studded tracks.

I can't say I've actually driven that version of tundra, I like our 248cc 1987 Tundra though, fun little sled. The high hp mountain machines would be really fun if you have the money, snow, terrain, and flexible schedule to get out there on the good days. And if you are unlucky or take too many risks you might not come back.
I find on our little sled, you can sidehill and carve around in powder, just not wheelie, or point it up a mountain covered with 2' of fresh powder. If it's high traction snow it will go up a 40 deg slope pretty well. Lots of guys who stay in the valleys and in the trees like the various versions of the tundra for off trail exploring as they are light and agile and slowView attachment 144066.
I'm kind of surprised someone has been making new versions of these in China, they are pretty simple and the prices for the old ones is going up now as you can't buy anything similar anymore.

Big $$ and big danger for sure.

I find on our little sled, you can sidehill and carve around in powder, just not wheelie, or point it up a mountain covered with 2' of fresh powder. If it's high traction snow it will go up a 40 deg slope pretty well. Lots of guys who stay in the valleys and in the trees like the various versions of the tundra for off trail exploring as they are light and agile and slowView attachment 144066.
we had a 85 or 86 citation bought new for $1800, super small and agile sled , believe it was 300cc , it was a basic entry level machine very good for kids very simple and reliable !

we had a 85 or 86 citation bought new for $1800, super small and agile sled , believe it was 300cc , it was a basic entry level machine very good for kids very simple and reliable !
That's what our tundra is, just a longer track citation with the rack and hitch, and some lower gearing. My boys like it and can start it from cold now, but they can't quite lift the back end when its packed with wet snow, or flip it back over when it goes upside down under a tree.... He had the sense to bail off just before, so I guess they are learning something!
I use it to pull them both up to the top of hill so they can do some ski runs too. Its got plenty of grunt to pull whatever, just its traction limited in the deeper stuff with a 3/4" lug track. We have a good size sled and it can hold maybe 3-400 hundred pounds of wood and this pulls it fine. My buddy still has his 2003 MXZ 600HO which is pretty quick to 80mph and infinitely better on a lake but I like to play around on the tundra at 10-30mph at my place when the snow is good.
IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

Is your kid ok?

Yeah the old school 1100 triple pipe/ triple carb 2 stroke was 110+ out of the box with plenty more to be had.

First thing we did was upgrade the clutch..

These things are the black hole you own to put your excess cash or retirement savings into. So many deaths from decapitation as they sail through farmland and discover too late the barbed wire (rusty) fence. I get it that you've got to have some fun in the winter.

Back