Wix vs Napa Gold one last time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, if you have to choose ONLY ONE of the two (Wix or Napa Gold) for the rest of your life, both stores are about the same distance from home and both are always priced the same, what would you choose and why? I would really like to know if the pleat counts are the same on both of these filters... Please dont just tell me just get any one of them cause their the same... i can only choose one for the rest of my life and want to stick to it... thanks

NAPA. Why? ..cause I probably can't get the same parts at the other place. NAPA may be higher on a few ...but tend to be higher quality.

Otherwise ..there's no reason to distinguish one over the other.
dunno.gif

Thanks Gary, i know you like the pureones, which i have used since i bought my V8 Titan new, but i tend think this truck likes a more flowing oil filter but still with a good decent filtration. That's why im switching my pure1's over to a napa/wix. My plan was to use pure1's strictly to try to trap most of the break-in particles for about 15k miles and then make a switch. I dont know how much better flow i will get out of the napa/wix but any more flow is better i guess. Im welcoming any comments or suggestions...

Well, and only due to my personal observations in one of my vehicles, I discount most of the flow vs filtration stuff. Oh, it's valid in the relative findings between one filter and the next ..but it just doesn't make any difference in my observations.

For example, I used very heavy oil in a worn filter in very cold temperature. I almost reached the bypass setting. It disappeared withing about a minute. The PureOne showed about 2-3 PSID with 9k worth of use on it unless really revved when less then totally warm.

That leads me to conclude that the most restrictive filter (in the under $6 range) has basically no resistance at all to flow. Anything less dense will have less resistance. I went to a heavily used filter because the dinky one just would not react in my testing.

Again, that's all due to my observations. Others have had different filters recommended to them by some ..and it has cured some noise related ailment in their engine ...so you have to take anything I say as qualified to be applicable only under my circumstances. I believe that I cover the majority of situations out there ..but have only an opinion to offer and no proof that this is so.

But all that said, WIX is a great filter of high quality and will serve your needs spledidly.
cheers.gif

I'll go opposite from Gary on this one. I'd choose the Wix... because the Wix filters are probably being sold by an independent auto parts store that needs the business more than the NAPA outlet. Basically, the same filter at the same price... I might as well give my business to the underdog to support them and keep competetion alive.

This is exactly what i was wanting to see... any ill-defects or bad construction on either the Wix or the Napa Gold. Although i know that not all of the Napa Gold will be defected once i go look at the stores, i wanted to see if there was a possibility of a slight difference between each so that i can have the peace of mind to choose which one is better... am i just being too sensitive with my oil filters? Probably...
dunno.gif

I heard from my cousin's uncle's good friend's myspace buddy that Wix and NAPA Gold filters are made on the same assembly line in Gastonia, NC.

Only, in the last stage, the filters go into separate painting machines. One machine paints the filter with a "Wix" logo and puts it in a box. The other machine paints the filter with a "NAPA" logo, has a special attachment that pokes six holes in the media and inserts a dead cockroach, then puts it in a box.
shocked.gif

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
They go through the same painting system, and the same label application machine. We just change the paint color (if necessary) and the roll of labels.

It's not six holes, it's a bakers dozen, .025" dia. each. And we use live silverfish placed on the dirty side of the element, not dead roaches.(that's what the ADBV is really for, keeping the bugs on the dirty side of the element) You're thinking of that other filter company.

What is the point of this topic? Wix and Napa Gold are the same filter. If there was any quote "thread problems", lets call it filter media, it would be coincidental. The filters come off of the same line. Wix or Napa does not separate the bad and the good and put Wix labels on the good ones, and Napa labels on the bad ones. They are the same filter people!!

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
I'll go opposite from Gary on this one. I'd choose the Wix... because the Wix filters are probably being sold by an independent auto parts store that needs the business more than the NAPA outlet. Basically, the same filter at the same price... I might as well give my business to the underdog to support them and keep competetion alive.

I agree, same filter, support the little guy.

I'm all for the little guy. Most NAPA (infact all that I know) are independantly owned. Most of the wix outlets (where it's actually bearing a wix label) aren't always mom and pop parts stores. Many are fleet and industrial parts providers and hardly "hurting" by any stretch.

Hirev was, btw, looking for what was best for HIM ..not how he benefitted others. If costs and availability are equal ..go to whichever is closer/more convenient.

CarQuest.

Which brings up a question for Pete C- how come CarQuest filters are the only Wixs still white? Couldn't get CQ to go along with the change? And how many holes are punched in the media on the CarQuest line?

None, I bet. The miniratbacteria do that after the point of sale. They're inserted in a dorment state. They're heat activated.

quote:

Originally posted by CMT:
CarQuest.

Which brings up a question for Pete C- how come CarQuest filters are the only Wixs still white? Couldn't get CQ to go along with the change? And how many holes are punched in the media on the CarQuest line?

Goes along with their Red White and Blue color theme a lot better.

Same number of holes as the Wix/Napa's only Carguest wanted fire ants instead of silverfish. In keeping with their color scheme of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back