Napa filters

Here are two Napa filters, one a GM specd filter the other a Ford specd filter, same bypass psi and interchangeable. 2100255 Proformer is Vietnam made and has a silicon ADBV, 7502 Gold is China made and has a silicon ADBV. The proformer is the commercial line, is it safe to say the Proformer is the same quality as the Gold? The 7502 baseplate looks to be Premium Guard made.

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

Yes, that Proformer is a premium guard. Both with Silicon ADBV's I'd say they are both good filters but you'd have to hack them after a good run to dissect the quality. Premium Guards are known good quality as well as Wix though.

Not too many years ago the Wix plant (Gastonia NC) was using the same filter for their Silver and Gold. Same production line. The line split and then the difference was paint and decal. I’m sure that’s changed…. Not even making them in the US any longer.

As mentioned, Proformer does look to be a PG made filter. I'd be interested in seeing the internals of both. Prefer the Napa Gold/(Wix) still made in the US, but M&H's call. I'm sure many/most applications still made here, but mostly with Purolator type construction now, again M&H call. Since local franchised Napa store dropped 40% off Gold sale, don't buy NG anymore. Rarely go in the store.

After runs, need to post c&ps.

As mentioned, Proformer does look to be a PG made filter. I'd be interested in seeing the internals of both. Prefer the Napa Gold/(Wix) still made in the US, but M&H's call. I'm sure many/most applications still made here, but mostly with Purolator type construction now, again M&H call. Since local franchised Napa store dropped 40% off Gold sale, don't buy NG anymore. Rarely go in the store.

After runs, need to post c&ps.
I think Napa dropped Mann-Hummel from many part numbers and is sourcing the filters on their own.

wait the proformer is Premium Guard? is that across the board or just for this fitment?

Pretty sure the Gold is also because PG also uses a china producer in addition to the Vietnam producer and you can see in the OP photo up top it also has "Leak Tested" on top which is usually tell tale PG afaik.

Pretty sure the Gold is also because PG also uses a china producer in addition to the Vietnam producer and you can see in the OP photo up top it also has "Leak Tested" on top which is usually tell tale PG afaik.
That sound correct.

I think Napa dropped Mann-Hummel from many part numbers and is sourcing the filters on their own.
So I've read, here mostly. As said, never buy Gold filters now so only see what's posted here. Possibly Napa Gold oil filters now use another manufacturer.

That said, and said before, when it comes to the term "leak tested" on the dome, does appear all PG made filters say that. Less sure the reverse is 'always' true though, ie. all filters saying leak tested on the dome are PG or PG made filters. The one thing they all have in common though, off shored coo.

Story I heard from a NAPA franchisee was Mann couldn't supply enough oil filters to keep them stocked. How switching to a $3-4 Premium Guard and selling them for $12.95 helps their situation is a mystery to me! Unless they think nobody knows any better?

Story I heard from a NAPA franchisee was Mann couldn't supply enough oil filters to keep them stocked. How switching to a $3-4 Premium Guard and selling them for $12.95 helps their situation is a mystery to me! Unless they think nobody knows any better?
All filters are marked up like that. A WIX is $13 at O'Reilly now while the same one is $5 at RockAuto.

Auto part stores them in the store today for nearly all applications. For the oddball ones that they might not have... it will be there next day. For businesses... they deliver same day. Different business model and higher cost of business than Rock Auto or Amazon or a discount store like Walmart.

NAPA filters are in the roughly the same price range as an equivalent MicroGard from O'Reilly... and prices vary by store since it is a franchise. Some are less expensive... and commercial accounts get decent discounts.

Maybe they get the filters for less due to the country of origin... but the cost of running a retail store are up as well. Rent, insurance, property taxes, salaries, employee benefits... all that factors in to why stuff is so expensive now.

Back