Napa Gold - Made in China

Yeah, an ADBV is not a gasket ... it's a valve, an Anti-Drian Back Valve.

Yeah.. I was referring to adbv's.. lol I am thinking of those as gaskets as well .. although they are probably not classified as such.

Wait till you find out where the wix filters are made.
I haven’t seen a wix say anything other than USA yet, are they shifting away from that?

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 35
I haven’t seen a wix say anything other than USA yet, are they shifting away from that?
I have purchased WIX filters that were made in Mexico or Korea. MANN+HUMMEL is the parent company and they have plants all over the world, including China. They still make a lot of filters in the US, but it is not a guarantee.

In fact...

I have purchased WIX filters that were made in Mexico or Korea. MANN+HUMMEL is the parent company and they have plants all over the world, including China. They still make a lot of filters in the US, but it is not a guarantee.

In fact...

Yes-for what they charge for Golds, IMO it's SUICIDE to outsource them to China! NAPA is getting $13 for these things, not $3... No wonder all the commercial accts are dropping them like a hot potato. If Mann can't supply them, NAPA needs to move their "quality" higher priced filters to Fram/Champ, or even Baldwin, while they still have any customers to buy them!

ADBVs are not technically a "gasket" because they let oil through in one direction but not the other - it's technically a type of "check valve". Terminology matters. ;)

Yeah I know.. I was thinking of the outer gasket ..

some places label them differently surprisingly

Last edited:
Yes-for what they charge for Golds, IMO it's SUICIDE to outsource them to China! NAPA is getting $13 for these things, not $3... No wonder all the commercial accts are dropping them like a hot potato. If Mann can't supply them, NAPA needs to move their "quality" higher priced filters to Fram/Champ, or even Baldwin, while they still have any customers to buy them!

I'm mixed on the supplier change for the Gold filters. My main concern is whether or not they meet the stated bypass valve pressure setting and any other published specs. Chinese manufacturers in particular have a very bad habit of just printing whatever the buyer wants and hoping they can get by with it. Some companies manage this risk better than others.

On the other hand, physical build quality on filters from China and Vietnam has been looking very good lately, while certain US filter manufacturers have been sloppy and inconsistent. There's no excuse for some of the improperly formed louvers that we have seen and it makes me wonder what other quality control steps they're skipping out on. We have also seen cases where filters came in boxes that claimed wire backed synthetic media when they actually had a paper backed synthetic media.

Sadly, there just isn't a single aftermarket brand I can completely trust anymore.

Of course, there are also the economic, political and human rights issues to worry about when we send even more manufacturing over to China.

Last edited:
Glad I don’t use WIX/NAPA GOLD/AUTO EXTRA or PROTEC. Never know quality you will get. CHAMP filters and Prime Guard/ECOGARD for me.

I can confirm that there are no more WIX or MANN+HUMMEL references on the filter box or filters themselves - this applies to the ProFormer and Gold filters. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Platinum filters.

I strongly suspect these are coming from the same factories that make filters for Premium Guard and some of the other importers.

I would have preferred CHAMP since they make a lot of their filters in the USA... although I do get annoyed that none of their brands seem to offer a filter that matches the Subaru OE bypass valve rating.

Has a red/orange ADBV, not really a "gasket", like the base gasket is.

That is what I was referring to. Some of the new NAPA Gold filters have a red / orange silicone ADBV and a black nitrile rubber gasket on the base... but this one has what appears to be a silicone gasket and silicone ADBV.

Most Fram Group/ Fram and Champ filters are still made here and I'll stick with them for friends and family as we have been seeing fewer and fewer Wix branded filter that are made here as we stock them at work. They are not cheap in price at all like a toyota V6 canister is 8.00 dollars and are made in china so not a Mann Hummell fan at all was happier with Afffiny running the company really. Really thought M-H would do a lot better but no. Some body is cashing in on the sell high china made filters and it's hard to see me buying them.

Last edited:
That is what I was referring to. Some of the new NAPA Gold filters have a red / orange silicone ADBV and a black nitrile rubber gasket on the base... but this one has what appears to be a silicone gasket and silicone ADBV.
From your link in post 71. The base gasket is not red/orange ... but black, so not silicone.

1700974681150.jpg

The second one appears to be a Premium Guard. Still more transitions going on apparently. As far as I know nobody has burned the gasket on one yet, but not sure why we’d doubt the claim when the ADBV has been proven silicone as stated. This is BITOG though no stone left unturned! 👍

NAPA is an American company they should try to at least source an American company for a filter supplier but it’s difficult with everything going overseas or south of the border these days also cost is a factor. I don’t know what they pay but the consumer is definitely paying a hefty price for filters lately. I don’t mind paying for a quality product but it would feel better keeping our country striving instead of barely surviving.

Back