Napa Gold - Made in China

Interesting video. I have a Napa Gold 100351 on the shelf for a GM L3B 2.7L TurboMax. It's a Mann+Hummel, made in USA filter.

The filter has a louvered center core with most of the louvers that I can see either closed or very tight. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use it.

Just because it is made in China does not mean it sucks.
You are correct. China can produce quality items if you watch them 100% of the time. Take your eye off of them for a heartbeat and they will substitute inferior materials and processes. And they will blame you for the resultant inferior product as you didn't make sure they couldn't cheat on you. It's built into the country's culture.

It's not a Chinese thing as Taiwan, Singapore and other Chinese dominated countries don't have the same problem. It's just a China thing.

Because of this philosophy I avoid China produced products whenever I can.

After I posted earlier in May I was down to Cleveland OH & stopped @ a O'Reillys to pick up 4 various filters that my nephew & I use. I was able to get all 4 US made WIX filters. However for 2 of the styles, the initial filter for 1 was made in China, while on the other, the initial filter was made in Mexico. Like someone has said, it pays to check the actual filter, not the box.

You are correct. China can produce quality items if you watch them 100% of the time. Take your eye off of them for a heartbeat and they will substitute inferior materials and processes. And they will blame you for the resultant inferior product as you didn't make sure they couldn't cheat on you. It's built into the country's culture.

It's not a Chinese thing as Taiwan, Singapore and other Chinese dominated countries don't have the same problem. It's just a China thing.

The same thing has been said about the overseas built 'hobbyist machine tools' (lathes, milling machines and bandsaws). Taiwanese products while not the same as the originals they have cloned, they are superior to the clones from China in build quality.

Absolutely dead on. 👍

The Chinesium NAPA GOLD Filters are made by Balwin, a well known commercial equipment filter supplier. Another YT'r did a cut can comparison too and finds the Baldwin/NG filters value engineered (cheapened construction) compared to the Domestically made WIX

It appears NAPA put the sourcing up for bid and concluded their brand could put lipstick on a pig without consequence...

I'll be buying my filters from anywhere but NAPA
Wait… Baldwin - as in that one owned by Parker Hannifin?

The Chinesium NAPA GOLD Filters are made by Balwin, a well known commercial equipment filter supplier. Another YT'r did a cut can comparison too and finds the Baldwin/NG filters value engineered (cheapened construction) compared to the Domestically made WIX
They are Premium Guard (who could be sourcing from multiple manufacturers in China, Vietnam, and occasional India or a few other countries).

Baldwin is a completely different company and they are now making some of the heavy duty or industrial filters for NAPA.

There are also reports that Mann+Hummel may still be a supplier in some regions, but I'm not entirely sure if that is true. Keep in mind that it is also possible to see multiple suppliers for the same part number in the same market - the claimed reason for the supplier switch was that WIX/Mann+Hummel couldn't supply enough filters. Having multiple suppliers reduces the risk of supply chain disruptions when a factory line gets shut down for some reason.

Back