Napa/Wix oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am getting ready to change the oil and filter on my 396 Chevelle. My last replacement filter is a Napa Gold 1069 filter which states its from the Affinia (Wix) company and made in the USA. I have heard the new Napa Gold products are now made in China as the Affinia company was bought out. Is this true?

NAPA Gold filters are made in various countries...you need to look at each individual filter for COO.

Originally Posted by 007
I am getting ready to change the oil and filter on my 396 Chevelle. My last replacement filter is a Napa Gold 1069 filter which states its from the Affinia (Wix) company and made in the USA. I have heard the new Napa Gold products are now made in China as the Affinia company was bought out. Is this true?

There are or were some good NAPA filter specials. I think Gold, but I know Platinum. Not sure if a limited time in days or the month of Dec.

Preface by saying not familiar with specific application OF. That said, the vast majority Wix/Napa Gold spin on OFs are made in the US and that hasn't changed since M&H acquired from Affinia. The 5/1334 is the one notable change posted here, now made in S Korea same the Hyun/Kia oem made by Mann. It looks very similar to the H/K oem, so appears M&H did some consolidation of manufacture point with that application. Based on comments here, seems to have been well received.

Some Wix "made for" and/or jobber tier spin on filters, based on anecdotes posted have China coo. But those not topic Wix/Napa Gold.

Like Fram, a fair number of the Wix/NG cartridge filters are made in China. Not sure about now, but some used to be made in S. Korea too.

If coo is the primary consideration for purchase, should be able to check that out at O'R or a Napa store before purchase.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

Some Wix "made for" and/or jobber tier spin on filters, based on anecdotes posted have China coo. But those not topic Wix/Napa Gold.

I've personally seen one so far: the Gold cartridge filter for our '15 Grand Caravan (Pentastar). The last one I bought was Made in China.

The last WIX filter I bought was made in Mexico. I recommend you buy another filter brand. The WIX filter I bought the center is slightly larger than before and I will do an oil change about 3K miles before I would like to put on an A.C. Delco E-Core. With this and once again the media tearing issue is a thing Mann Hummel can lay in it's bed and stay there as far as I'm concerned.

Best part is I contacted Mann Hummel and I have yet to hear from them.

...I've personally seen one so far: the Gold cartridge filter for our '15 Grand Caravan (Pentastar). The last one I bought was Made in China...
Yep as noted that a cartridge, not spin on type as topic referenced with vast majority US sold and made coo. Many Fram cartridges to name one, have same coo.

M&H as parent of Puro US manufactured where the anecdotal tears noted. Otoh, Wix (label)/(Napa Gold) manufactured not following Puro tear pattern to this point in M&H 3&1/2 years ownership in this subforum and ime.

Picked up 2 new Napa 1069 Gold spin on filters. Different color and now come in shrink wrap instead of box but they state clearly made in the USA.

Last edited:
I just installed a Wix XP in in my Chevy Colorado 3.6 V6 and it was made in Poland. It had the Affinia name on the box and it was a 57090XP if I remember correctly?

The three Wix/NAPA Platinum filters in my garage are made in the USA.
11.gif

Originally Posted by 007

They're made all over the world, probably just decided by what factory has the necessary capacity at the time.

Some of them aren't even made by Wix, but are bought from other manufacturers and rebranded.

That said, it's really not a problem. Oil filters are made by machines, and the machine performs identically regardless of if it's in Detroit, Shanghai or Berlin.

I just installed a Wix XP in in my Chevy Colorado 3.6 V6 and it was made in Poland. It had the Affinia name on the box and it was a 57090XP if I remember correctly?
That a cartridge filter application. Wix air filters often have a Poland coo too.

As the OP has confirmed his spin on type application Napa Gold 1069, made in the US.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by 007

They're made all over the world, probably just decided by what factory has the necessary capacity at the time.

Some of them aren't even made by Wix, but are bought from other manufacturers and rebranded.

That said, it's really not a problem. Oil filters are made by machines, and the machine performs identically regardless of if it's in Detroit, Shanghai or Berlin.

Something matters or the last one I purchased would have fit on the mount snug not loose and leaking oil. Put on a Champ made AC Delco and no issues. This whole squeezing the last half penny out of each filter is just plain wack like crack.

Buy Mann & Mahle filters from Germany and Austria respectively. Significantly better build quality, amd significantly better filtration efficiency.

Originally Posted by Olas
Buy Mann & Mahle filters from Germany and Austria respectively. Significantly better build quality, amd significantly better filtration efficiency.

Please provide proof that Mann and Mahle filters have significantly better filtration efficiency.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by 007

Something matters or the last one I purchased would have fit on the mount snug not loose and leaking oil. Put on a Champ made AC Delco and no issues. This whole squeezing the last half penny out of each filter is just plain wack like crack.

It's not the country of origin that matters, it's the investment the company is willing to make in QC and proper designs. Given as AC Delco is GM's OEM parts brand they would want to make sure the QC is nice and tight to avoid having to pay out warranty claims due to defective parts.

That said, everyone puts out a few lemons here and there. Especially for something that's as high volume and automated as oil filters. The Chinese are certainly capable of producing a good product. After all, this is a nation with an active space program and who probably built the computer you're posting this on. Compared to that an oil filter is simple, but sometimes corners get cut in pursuit of either more profits or making the margins work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back