Napa Gold - Made in China

Could be for whatever reason.. but still the point is.. I was just curious about the red silicone outer gasket that are usually on PG xl filters of various brands.... and he asked how we even know if they are silicone in the first place..
I think Overkill was talking about burning ADBVs to distinguish silicone from nitrile. Don't think I seen anyone burn a base gasket. It very well could be that red/orange looking base gasket is just a coating of some kind ... like Purolator use to do on their PureOne. One way to find out if the PG base gasket is 100% silicone is to burn one and find out.

that was a coating ?.. and they advertised as silicone ?
They still do it on the PureOne. Says it's a PTFE (ie, Teflon) coating ("treated"). The ADBV is silicone. Doubt any filter has a 100% silicone base gasket.

1700623317877.png

that was a coating ?.. and they advertised as silicone ?
Purolator isn't advertising the base gasket as "silicone" ... they clearly say it's Teflon treated. What they are advertising as silicone is the ADBV.

Purolator isn't advertising the base gasket as "silicone" ... they clearly say it's Teflon treated. What they are advertising as silicone is the ADBV.

Yeah I was just curious which way they were advertising.. I didn't know.

I've seen the ones testing the black ones to see if they are silicone and failing.. but to be clear.. You are saying there are burn tests on reddish ones that are turning up black smoke??
No, I'm saying that Zee and I think Stude both did burn tests on silicone ones (including a grey one that was purported to be silicone) and they did indeed not catch fire, showing they were in fact silicone.

In my observation, what 'I thought' most filters that say "leak tested" had in common is that they are off shore manufactured filters. Primarily but not limited to China coo. A quick search of the site shows, filters Security Global, Ecogard, ProGauge, Pronto, FVP Reliaguard, Parts Plus, and the old AAP Driveworks to name some, show leak tested on the dome. Possible some of those like Parts Plus are PG filters, but I'm skeptical they all are. So, while all PG and PG made filters may say leak tested (IDK), less sure all that do say it are PG filters. Another common feature of the China coo filters, they use a coil compression spring.

As for P1 sealing gasket, as long as I can remember they always advertised the red gasket as PTFE coated, never stated silicone. As I've never had as issue with a standard (not p type) sealing gasket, no biggie either way.

No, I'm saying that Zee and I think Stude both did burn tests on silicone ones (including a grey one that was purported to be silicone) and they did indeed not catch fire, showing they were in fact silicone.

Yeah of course there are burn tests on these gaskets.. Whip City does those once in a while but he isn't doing the test for the sake of the red/orange.. he is primarily checking if the black one advertised as silicone will burn a white smoke.... But when have you questioned red or orange gaskets being silicone on a regular basis ?

Yeah of course there are burn tests on these gaskets.. Whip City does those once in a while but he isn't doing the test for the sake of the red/orange.. he is primarily checking if the black one advertised as silicone will burn a white smoke.... But when have you questioned red or orange gaskets being silicone on a regular basis ?
I have not seen anyone do a burn test on any base gasket. Whip City burns a few ADBVs ... not base gaskets.

Sorry, say what you will, the simple facts are that the Chinese are NOT our friends, cheat on almost everything they make, #1 counterfeiters of brands, have a horrible human rights record, and so much more. I make a strenuous effort to not buy anything from them. There are alternatives, sometimes difficult to find, but, for me, worth the effort not to add to their coffers.
Thanks for sharing, but the reality is the decision wasnt yours to make when it comes to Napa filters, as well as lots of other products.

But when have you questioned red or orange gaskets being silicone on a regular basis ?
When it's an offshored product procured via reseller with no direct oversight of QC, which I wouldn't say happens on a regular basis, since there have historically been few filter manufacturers and they all manufactured their own filters, even if QC has been questionable at times.

In my observation, what 'I thought' most filters that say "leak tested" had in common is that they are off shore manufactured filters. Primarily but not limited to China coo. A quick search of the site shows, filters Security Global, Ecogard, ProGauge, Pronto, FVP Reliaguard, Parts Plus, and the old AAP Driveworks to name some, show leak tested on the dome. Possible some of those like Parts Plus are PG filters, but I'm skeptical they all are. So, while all PG and PG made filters may say leak tested (IDK), less sure all that do say it are PG filters. Another common feature of the China coo filters, they use a coil compression spring.
Your observations are in-line with mine. PG doesn't produce oil filters, they are sourcing them from various Asian whitebox manufacturers, the same ones that would be used by other resellers/retailers looking for an OEM producing something they can slap their name on at the lowest possible price.

I never said he did do a base gasket.
You said "of course there are burn test on these gaskets. Whip City does those once in a while" ...

There is a difference between a base gasket and an ADBV. You literally said "gasket" and that "Whip City does those once in a while".

And my response was about the base gasket ... and I have never seen anyone, including Whip City do a burn test on a BASE GASKET.

You said "of course there are burn test on these gaskets. Whip City does those once in a while" ...

Yeah.. I was referring to adbv's.. lol I am thinking of those as gaskets as well .. although they are probably not classified as such.

Yeah.. I was referring to adbv's.. lol I am thinking of those as gaskets as well .. although they are probably not classified as such.
Yeah, an ADBV is not a gasket ... it's a valve, an Anti-Drian Back Valve.

Back