Wiper Blades

I don't own a '19 Equinox but I buy the cheapest I can and replace often.....typically every 4-8 mos depending upon when I remember or when poor performance reminds me.

Blades are a racket and I try to stay at $4 ea or less. You can easily drop $50 to $60 on a pair of "higher end" blades at the auto parts stores (one of their high margin items) which is absurd.

Personally I've had good luck with Bosch Icons, RainX Latitudes were okay but didn't last as long. These days there are very few applications where non-beam blades will perform better.
I like the Rain-X Latitudes and I get them cheap($5-$6 each), however my issue with them is that the wiping edge tears in about a year or so. It usually starts tearing on the top and/or bottom and I can often snip it to stop it from spreading, which helps them last longer.

Jumpin' in on the Flex wagon here and I'm not easy on wipers. I'd rather have the wipers and some -35 Splash clean the frost off my window this time of year.

Last edited:
Bosch ICON number 1 rated blade right now. Just ordered a set for my F150
Bosch ICONs used to be the best blades. Unfortunately they changed the rubber compound in early-2021 so instead of reliably getting 2-3 years out of a set, I only get 2-3 months out of the new ones. Hopefully, after the rubber shortages are alleviated they will go back to the old rubber compound.

I replaced a set of Costco wipers on a co-worker's VW, because they were smearing. Once I installed a set of Bosch, I think they were ICON, with the correct adapter, they also stopped hitting the windshield every stroke, pun intended.

I don't know who makes them or what they're made of but the OEM rubber that Honda uses lasts forever. The current squeegees on Legend have been in service for 6 years and they still wipe clear without chatter. These replaced ones that were 8 years old. The car sits outside where the summertime sun can be brutal.

I have Bosch AeroTwins (same as ICON) on both the VW's in my signature and they are fantastic blades. Both cars have had the current set on for ~7 months and they still wipe like new.

I don't think I have ever had blades better than OE when I could use them. Usually, the original arms were long gone.

Just to follow-up. I decided to use OE as Rockauto had in stock at what I thought was a reasonable price. Probably would have tried the Tricos or the ACDelco Professional had that not been the case.

I took a set of Valeo Ultimate beam type blades and threw them in the garbage. They were about three months old. The ones before that were NAPA Exact Fit beam type blades. They weren’t much better. My observation is that beam type blades do not work well on my late model F-150 The major problem is on the driver’s side. The lower 1” to 1.5” of the blade is too tight against the windshield. The windshield streaks badly in that area and wear is visually noticeable on the wiper blade. The beams jump or skip a lot too. And, this problem doesn’t have anything to do with the tension on the wiper arm. I had the same problem with beam blades on a 2014 F-150. There’s not much curve in a F-150 windshield. I replaced the beam blades with a set of NAPA Exact Fit conventional blades. I have a feeling that they will perform much better.

I find no difference in cost of blades and performance, excluding the $20/each blades I won't buy. In my experience though OE are far, far better than any aftermarket blade I've tried. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd put such higher quality blades on a car at the factory, but it seems that way. Maybe aftermarket blades are older?

I use Trico or Denso. If I’m in a pinch locally, Bosch.

FWIW, Bosch is hit or miss. The higher-end stuff works fine. The low end, meh. I had a pair of PerfectWipe, a rebrand of Bosch’s DirectConnect or ClearAdvantage - started to chatter after 2 months.

Basically any of the Trico beam styles work great.

I tend to replace them every 6 months; RockAuto has them cheapest if you get them in an order with other parts so shipping doesn't kill you.

I installed the NAPA Exact Fit conventional blades yesterday. Today, I got to test them in the rain. There is a big improvement in performance over the beam style blades. No skipping, jumping, streaking, or uneven contact with the windshield. From now on, my 2020 F-150 gets conventional type blades. Probably the Trico/NAPA Exact Fit conventional.

Back