Windshield wiper blade chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The is an excellent Bosch wiper blade thread below....while reading it, my little wheels began to turn.

I'm getting ready to replace the wiper blades on two of my vehicles. Before I do, I want to thoroughly clean my windshields. What do you guys recommend cleaning the windshield with to eliminate wiper blade chatter and streaking?

Try some vinegar in water for the first app, then with plain water. Follow up by using Stoner's Invisible Glass.

3m makes an auto glass stripper not sure if thats the technical name for it.. its available at walmart among other places.

there are a couple other brands out there too, but all the links I could find were sale links so I didnt post them.

One more option is bon ami. Looks like common cleanser, but it is a glass cleaner.
New formulas of rain X don't leave a film anymore. Makes the windshield a bit slippery. They also put it in the windshield cleaners for constant application.

I like to clean the glass with Rain-X then wash the whole car. Leave the Rain-X on the windshield, vacuum clean the interior, clean the wheels/tires and then wash the whole vehicle including the Rain-X'd windshield. This gives the Rain-X time to dry to a smear and you don't have to try and Buff off the smearing effect on the glass that the R-X left behind.

Also, and this is from another member here at BITOG. Clean the wiper blades with silicone spray. I use CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Spray in the RED can...$2.99 at W*M...(I don't like PB BLASTER Silicone spray for wipers but, I do for other app's). The CRC evaporates quickly without the mess and leaves the wiper rubber nice and plyable and moving smoothly over the glass while having good contact to the windshield.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Or use protectant 303 and wipe your blades.....

I have heard this as well. Some even say that they use any silicone tire or interior dressing on the wiper blade rubber and let cure. I tried this once but, you can't use too much or the windshield will get coated from the product...NOT GOOD!

Clay bar the windshield.

I have waxed my windshields in the past with great results. You may want to try that.

Originally Posted By: default
2 coats of rain x on the windshield, wipe the wipers with rain x.

Rain-X on the wiper blade rubber(as will any alcohol) will eventually dry out the rubber and cause chatter especially in the colder temps(although the blades may work fine in the summer). That's why I throw away any of those little packets that may come with the new wiper blades. They have these little squares of cheese cloth soaked with alcohol to clean your wiper blade rubber. Sure, anything will clean the rubber. But, the alcohol with deteriorate the rubber and strip the rubber of it's plyability.

Stupid question....

Why hasn't anyone suggested Windex or the equivelant as an exterior windshield/glass cleaner?

IIRC, years ago if used on the inside of the vehicle, the glass was prone to fogging, but what about the outside.

I would be afraid to try silicone spray where it could get on a windshield for fear that it would leave a film making the windshield fog up too easily like a wax or oil.

I'm not convinced that alcohol will degrade wiper blades -- certainly not for the few minutes they're in contact.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does silicon spray on the wiper work?

Yes it does. I spray a shop rag with silicone spray and wipe each blade with it, just enough to wet the blade on both sides. It keeps the blades very soft and supple, they work without noise or chatter and the blades last a lot longer. I usually treat the blades every month or so to keep them in good shape. I treat the weather stripping on the doors with silicone to keep those in good shape too.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I would be afraid to try silicone spray where it could get on a windshield for fear that it would leave a film making the windshield fog up too easily like a wax or oil.

This has not happened to me yet and I have been using silicone on our wipers for a very long time. I like to wipe the blades with a rag that has been generously sprayed with silicone and let the blades sit for a while to allow the silicone to dry. I have never had any streaking or smearing problems at all with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back