Rental review of the 2022 Audi Q5

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
The good folks at Geico/Enterprise RAC gave me a nice Audi while the Maverick's hail damage is being fixed. The day after I got it went on a 375 mile trip the next day to the Lake of The Ozarks. According to the mileage monitor it is averaging 28 mpg in the last 16K miles. Moan, niggles and likes below.

Powertrain. This was a Quattro model with the 2.0L turbo engine. 7 speed ZF transmission. Smooth Smooth Smooth. You only hear the revs change when it shifts in normal driving but no sensation through the vehicle. Sounds great but if you take off from a start with any vigor, it seems to be confused as to what you want. Don't even bother with any drive mode except dynamic. It seems totally confused in any other mode. My feeling is the suspension is mostly shot at 38K. When i first got it, it was in Auto mode and if a wheel on one side hit a bump the other side totally overreacted. The famous German bank vault solidity is there until you hit a moderate or larger pavement imperfection, the whole vehicle shimmies. Again I feel the suspension is well worn.

The condition of the vehicle when received was disappointing. The glass on the whole vehicle was full of mineral water spots which may be hard to remove without ruining the mirrors . When received it was apparent it was on the road all night and full of piss poorly removed bugs from the windshield. Looks like they were wiped with a cloth towel with no scrubbing. Stopped at the first Quik Trip to take care of that. The inside of the windshield had evidence of a poor attempt to remove vinyl smoke. Had to take the car to Direct Tire to have the air pressures set. They were 8-10 psi overinflated. My previous comments were after the tire pressure adjustment. It was almost undrivable before the adjustment.

The very quirky interior has the most difficult to use cruise control IME. Plus it is so easy to activate the turn signals accidentally as the Cruise control stalk is right below the turn signal stalk. The worst of Toyota made it into an Audi. The infotainment is easy and logical. Android Auto connected reliably. After 38K miles the seats are rock hard and comfortable only for short trips. My back ached the day after the long trip. The leather still smells nice and has not cracked. Wish I could be more positive but it seems the only service its seen has been oil changes. It needed new wiper blade. The upstroke is very smeary. The downstroke was better.

The summary is this was not the greatest experience. This is not a luxo-cruiser, at least not in its present condition.

I looked it up. I was hoping it would have more power. The last few cars I have gotten from Enterprise have been dirty.

I looked it up. I was hoping it would have more power. The last few cars I have gotten from Enterprise have been dirty.
The interior was spotless, the exterior seems it only got quick spray offs with no drying for many thousands of miles.

We've had two Q5 rentals, one much newer than the other.
The lower mileage one was a real treat, while the higher mileage one felt like it needed a full brake and suspension refresh.

We've had two Q5 rentals, one much newer than the other.
The lower mileage one was a real treat, while the higher mileage one felt like it needed a full brake and suspension refresh.
Maybe my butt dyno was right. That suspension and drive modes was janky

The front lower curved arm bushes are basically a consumable item on Audi’s from the last 10 years or so. Also the Q5 does not tolerate poor wheel alignment, either of these can cause poor handling. I find the Q5 is the worst handling from the current range when looking at A4 upwards. The fact it’s closer to the A4 in suspension design than it is to the Q7, and it’s apparent that the increased ride hight and change in suspension arm angles has done it no favours, I find the front end feels unstable when cornering, a bit like it’s got positive front camber.

7 speed ZF? If 7 speed was it not the DSG? If so this gearbox suffers badly from constantly changing drivers as it tries to adapt to driving style and also if used mainly for long distance driving the low speed clutch engagement seems to suffer becoming clunky. It was designed for efficiency first And foremost. It would benefit from a gearbox service and adaption reset.

I’ve never personally had an issue with the cruise control stalk placement however I can understand how for someone not used to it’s placement and function that it is near impossible to see while sitting/ driving. The seats I find the back being hard a good thing but the seat base being hard can cause a numb posterior after a long (4+ hour) drive. Seats are a very personal preference though.

You do typically find the front wiper blades won’t last more than 12 months before they start to smear and the rear wiper blade lasts about 6 months before it is juddering and noisy. The rear washer jet will also block up about every 6 months if not used regularly.

The very quirky interior has the most difficult to use cruise control IME. Plus it is so easy to activate the turn signals accidentally as the Cruise control stalk is right below the turn signal stalk. The worst of Toyota made it into an Audi.

I'd love to have that Audi CC stalk again. I found it very comfortable to operate.

After 38K miles the seats are rock hard and comfortable only for short trips. My back ached the day after the long trip.

Standard seats or sports seats? The latter come with a retractable seat. Easy to distinguish.
Back aches with an Audi? You probably you missed a misaligned lumbar support.

7-speed = 0B5 = DL501 = S-Tronic = DSG

Last edited:
I'd love to have that Audi CC stalk again. I found it very comfortable to operate.

Standard seats or sports seats? The latter come with a retractable seat. Easy to distinguish.

Pretty sure the seats were the standard. They had very small bolsters on the seats and hardly any on the sides. I counted six shifts accelerating slightly brisk from 0-50mph. It truly wants to find higher gears quickly.

The front lower curved arm bushes are basically a consumable item on Audi’s from the last 10 years or so. Also the Q5 does not tolerate poor wheel alignment, either of these can cause poor handling. I find the Q5 is the worst handling from the current range when looking at A4 upwards. The fact it’s closer to the A4 in suspension design than it is to the Q7, and it’s apparent that the increased ride hight and change in suspension arm angles has done it no favours, I find the front end feels unstable when cornering, a bit like it’s got positive front camber.

7 speed ZF? If 7 speed was it not the DSG? If so this gearbox suffers badly from constantly changing drivers as it tries to adapt to driving style and also if used mainly for long distance driving the low speed clutch engagement seems to suffer becoming clunky. It was designed for efficiency first And foremost. It would benefit from a gearbox service and adaption reset.

I’ve never personally had an issue with the cruise control stalk placement however I can understand how for someone not used to it’s placement and function that it is near impossible to see while sitting/ driving. The seats I find the back being hard a good thing but the seat base being hard can cause a numb posterior after a long (4+ hour) drive. Seats are a very personal preference though.

You do typically find the front wiper blades won’t last more than 12 months before they start to smear and the rear wiper blade lasts about 6 months before it is juddering and noisy. The rear washer jet will also block up about every 6 months if not used regularly.

Maybe the lumbar was stuck fully inflated, I fiddled with the control and nothing seemed to happen, either up-down or inflating. I still have the car so maybe i'll check again in the morning. The rear washer was not working or out of fluid. I have not even opened the hood. The steering is definitely what I would call darty, not far off center. Not driving it much as it's not enjoyable in the least, except for being a vehicle to run to the store. It is filled up ready to return to Enterprise.

Back