Windshield wiper blade chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must work because I remember spraying the rubber channel of driver window when it was balky (I was desperate). I sprayed on the n the horizontal rubber strip. Surprisingly, it did NOT leave a layer of it on the glass but did made window go up and down without protest.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'm not convinced that alcohol will degrade wiper blades -- certainly not for the few minutes they're in contact.

When I used any type of alcohol on the wiper blade rubber(or any product that contained alcohol), it didn't "deterorate" the rubber per/say as in, having the rubber fall apart. It made the rubber dry and hard(er) especially in the colder months. And this caused the wipers to chatter badly against the glass because the blades weren't plyable any longer due to the alcohol(I believe).

If you want to use alcohol use booze, preferably clear liquor, but whiskey will work, too. The additives in denatured or rubbing alcohol would be harder on the rubber than good old ethanol. I have used vodka and it works just fine. Wiper blades generally start chattering when the part of the blade above the actual squeegee loses its flexibility and will no longer "flip flop" smoothly when the wiper arm switches direction. Cleaning and/or putting silicone on the squeegee may help streaking, but won't do too much for chattering. This is what I have found to be a general rule, not law. If mine start chattering I just replace them.

If your blades are a type that has a graphite or other coating on the rubber cleaning them too many times will remove enough of the coating to cause you grief as well.

Last edited:
Char Baby, what about the methanol from the washer fluid? Wouldn't this affect the rubber same as an alcohol cleaning?

If alcohol was a serious issue for wiper blades, it wouldn't be used as an antifreeze component for washer fluid.

But then, that could be part of the evil conspiracy to enforce the six-month replacement regimen.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
If alcohol was a serious issue for wiper blades, it wouldn't be used as an antifreeze component for washer fluid.

As far as I recall, methanol is hard on most rubber compounds. Perhaps wiper blades have a different compound. Additionally, there really aren't a lot of options with which to replace methanol in windshield washer antifreeze. I suppose denatured ethanol would work, but there are enough people trying to drink the methanol stuff, let alone a hypothetical denatured ethanol product.

Considering that blades are relatively cheap, in the grand scheme of automobile maintenance, and that there are many other factors that affect wiper element life, perhaps the manufacturers of both the wipers and the fluids really don't put much thought or worry into the potential effects of methanol.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Char Baby, what about the methanol from the washer fluid? Wouldn't this affect the rubber same as an alcohol cleaning?

Indeed!
smile.gif
But we have little choices in washer fluid when temps drop below freezing.

This is why I have looked for other wiper blade cleaning methods such as the silicone spray. Or other lubricant type of cleaning instead of alachol type cleaning methods.

I was using ammonia on the wiper blades as a cleaning method and it worked well at keeping the blades plyable but, stripped the rubber of it lubricity and didn't seem to last very long as the silicone does. Also, the ammonia wasn't very good in the extreme cold temps.

Folks need to do what works for them. Silicone is what seems to work best for me thus far.

Last edited:
When the washer fluid comes into contact with the wipers the alcohol, already diluted heavily in the fluid, is further diluted by the filthy water that is already on your windshield. I wonder if using washer fluid on a dry windshield - which rarely works well, anyway - would cause the rubber to deteriorate faster.

Wipers, my friends, are a [censored]. You play around until you get the best balance of price/performance/longevity FOR YOU.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Wipers, my friends, are a [censored]. You play around until you get the best balance of price/performance/longevity FOR YOU.

Agreed. It's good to know I'm not the only one OCD about wipers.
wink.gif

I am OCD about many things, especially those related to my cars. Why else would I be here? LOL!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Agreed. It's good to know I'm not the only one OCD about wipers.
wink.gif

Yes, when it comes to seeing well especially at night in foul weather for my aging eyes, I want the best view outward that I can get.

Which includes buying wiper blades that work best on my vehicles. This time it happens to be the Rain-X Latitude/Repel Beam Style Wiper Blades. Cheap wipers such as inexpensive name brands or store brands, DO NOT WORK WELL FOR ME! They seem to be *&($*#, right out of the package!

With periodic applications of Rain-X Glass Treatment and keeping my wiper blade rubber clean(er) as mentioned and properly aimed headlights, these all have added to my driving confidence at night when visibility is poor especially in the rain or in a windy down pour when the rain is blowing sideways.

Yeah, I'm anal about my vehicles...We have to drive'em in all types of hot, cold and really foul weather. I not only want to see well but, I want good heat/AC, and tires, amongst other things. And when I turn that key on a sub zero morning, I want the engine to start, like right now!...I'm not asking too much!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zero
The is an excellent Bosch wiper blade thread below....while reading it, my little wheels began to turn.

I'm getting ready to replace the wiper blades on two of my vehicles. Before I do, I want to thoroughly clean my windshields. What do you guys recommend cleaning the windshield with to eliminate wiper blade chatter and streaking?

I use #0000 (4-ought) steel wool and some soap in a bucket. You don't have to bear down hard as you will scratch it! Just glide it over to remove nits, bugs, dirt, etc., then dry. Works great.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Steel? Scary. I'd use a dish sponge that's non-stick cookware safe.

Steel: yes.
Scary: No.

#0000 steel wool is extremely fine. Way too fine to scrub dishes with. Easily obtainable at a HW store.

Use it wet, not dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm being OCD with my wipers to the point of not installing my new ones (they're laying in my trunk) until I actually have the time to clean my windshield to my satisfaction before installing them. Plus, I'm looking at trying Rejex on the windshield. I've had no problems with Rain-X, but am looking to try something different.

When I had particularly bad issues with a set of Trico blades I emailed the company. The engineer that responded said that applying products like Rain-X would actually CAUSE chattering and degrade overall wiper performance. I stopped using the version that you apply and then buff off. All I use now is either the washer fluid additive or the actual Ran-X washer fluid. Seems like I get about the same effect without the chatter.

Ya see, the Rain-X washer fluid leaves a haze on the glass and both myself and wife don't like looking through the haze until it disapears.

What I have noticed is that if one gets the actual Rain-X product on the wiper blades, it in itself causes chatter but, I apply the Rain-X to the windshield, let it dry and only then do I wash the whole vehicle.

I never apply the R-X after washing or just by itself to where I have to buff it off. And I leave the wipers in their UP position. There are little tricks to doing this "A BETTER WAY"

I feel that I have found what works for me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Hmmmm! Never heard of Rejex.

It's definitely available in the States - certainly moreso than up here. Up here, it's something like $20 for a 16 oz bottle. It's a sealant, and can be used on headlights, paint, and glass. It's highly recommended for the clear plastic paint protectant films. I put it on a buddy's car's paint film, and it went on and buffed off very, very easily, and it looks like his bottle will go a long, long way.

Apparently, a lot of people who fly swear by it for use on aircraft windshields and paint, making things much easier to clean.

I'm not sure how long it's been available, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back