Will Thinner Oils Damage Your Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, shearing can be dependent on the oil VII and formulation. This is a UOA compilation of different oil brands and viscosities used in Coyotes. Take from it what you will.

View attachment 26463

this maybe another thread by itself, but can you briefly explain how fuel dilution and oxidation, etc. factor into the calculated shearing %?

I assume since the test is not under a fully controlled environment, they play some role but since it's the same car, we can kind of ignore the impact to get some shearing data ... No?

Edit:
nevermind , just realized it's not the same car either ... but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
this maybe another thread by itself, but can you briefly explain how fuel dilution and oxidation, etc. factor into the calculated shearing %?

I assume since the test is not under a fully controlled environment, they play some role but since it's the same car, we can kind of ignore the impact to get some shearing data ... No?

Edit:
nevermind , just realized it's not the same car either ... but you know what I mean.

The UOAs are from different cars, but all Coyote engines. It would have been helpful if there was a fuel dilution % column. Fuel dilution can lower viscosity too, but the % shear in that table is simply VOA viscosity vs UOA viscosity. I doubt there was much fuel dilution in those engines since they are not DI design.

Note - I think all but the last green group at the bottom of the table were the same car in each color group ... look at the miles on car and miles on the oil.

Last edited:
Yes, shearing can be dependent on the oil VII and formulation. This is a UOA compilation of different oil brands and viscosities used in Coyotes. Take from it what you will.

View attachment 26463

It's unfortunate that it lacks the FP figure or at least fuel dilution percentage, makes it very hard to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion from what's presented, particularly given the numerous single examples, without it.

The UOAs are from different cars, but all Coyote engines. It would have been helpful if there was a fuel dilution % column. Fuel dilution can lower viscosity too, but the % shear in that table is simply VOA viscosity vs UOA viscosity. I doubt there was much fuel dilution in those engines since they are not DI design.

Note - I think all but the last green group at the bottom of the table were the same car in each color group ... look at the miles on car and miles on the oil.

High performance engines can, and will, fuel dilute, regardless of whether they are DI or not. My M5 diluted like crazy, and the SRT engines do it too, though I believe not as much. I expect the Mustang Coyote would too.

High performance engines can, and will, fuel dilute, regardless of whether they are DI or not. My M5 diluted like crazy, and the SRT engines do it too, though I believe not as much. I expect the Mustang Coyote would too.

Would have to find a few UOAs on Coyotes in the Gasoline UOA forum here on BITOG to see.

Anyone here reading this who has posted a UOA on a Coyote?

Edit - Here's a GT350 UOA (essentially a higher strung Coyote). Shows Fuel %
Also a 2015 Coyote with Fuel % < 0.5%.

Another with Fuel % < 0.5%.

Probably could find more (F150 trucks with a Coyote too) if more searching was done.

Last edited:
Manufacturers of synthetics like Emery Industries' diesters (which became Hatco) formulated motor oils - in Emery's case "Frigid Go" - that would flow in extreme low temperatures since they lacked paraffins and could be more readily tailored.
I don't think that there is a connection between Emery and Hatco.

Emery's Frigid-Go is a 0W-20 ester:

Emery's Approved Products

Frigid-Go MSDS

that goes back to the 50s at least for use in the arctic.

Last edited:
Would have to find a few UOAs on Coyotes in the Gasoline UOA forum here on BITOG to see.

Probably could find more (F150 trucks with a Coyote too) if more searching was done.

2011 Mustang 5.0 M6
MC 5W-20 Blend
Virgin 8.9 cSt
10,000 mi = 8.7 cSt
Polaris Labs Fuel Percentage = No reportable amount.

My 2014 has never been run that long and doesn't use 5W-20 now.

Would be nice to see some with GC rather than Blackstone's inference method, which tends to be wildly inaccurate. The flashpoint on them isn't anywhere near as bad as I expected though.

NO just stating facts between power plants there's a big change in design from a simple duratech to a Turbo TDI . PCMO demands are no the same . When it come verification on quotes if they are not backed by DATA l take them with a grain of salt . Take care

That's a lot of xW20 oils showing low iron, copper, etc. compare to some of the xW30. Especially Amsoil.

Did you control for miles on each sample in making that claim?

Because the AMSOIL samples were run for a much longer interval than the xW20, so the iron would, naturally, be higher.

The absolute highest iron, controlling for miles, was a really awful number, 93, on a 5,000 mile run of Motorcraft 5W20.

Did you control for miles on each sample in making that claim?

Because the AMSOIL samples were run for a much longer interval than the xW20, so the iron would, naturally, be higher.

The absolute highest iron, controlling for miles, was a really awful number, 93, on a 5,000 mile run of Motorcraft 5W20.

Making no claim cuz we can cherry pick from this list. Just pointing out the numbers and impressed with Amsoil numbers. I'll never use Motorcraft oil

Last edited:
That's a lot of xW20 oils showing low iron, copper, etc. compare to some of the xW30. Especially Amsoil.

Look at just the copper column ... all those with Cu ppm above 25 are Motorcraft 5W-20, one at 1500 mi and one at 5000 mi OCI. Pretty much all the xW-30 oils in that Coyote UOA table show pretty low wear metals. Look at line 56, lots of ppm on all wear metals on that engine with a 9953 mile OCI on MC 5W-20. Would have been interesting to see that same engine with a different oil and viscosity at the same OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back