wife drove 08 Sienna with low oil for 2 days, with loud tapping

It should be fine, seen this happen on a few Toyotas - Corolla oil pressure sensors are bad for leaking.

Update #2:

New oil cooler line installed. My gas station garage bill was a size of a dealership bill (695USD!) Actually it was covered under Toyota campaign until 150k/10yr. My car is 152k/15yr so I missed it by a mile lol. The program did not offer preventive replacement. (Warranty enhancement program ZE2) Anyway my wife wants to send a reimbusement request anyway with a long polite letter.
Engine seems fine so far.

Update #2:

New oil cooler line installed. My gas station garage bill was a size of a dealership bill (695USD!) Actually it was covered under Toyota campaign until 150k/10yr. My car is 152k/15yr so I missed it by a mile lol. The program did not offer preventive replacement. (Warranty enhancement program ZE2) Anyway my wife wants to send a reimbusement request anyway with a long polite letter.
She's not wrong. I've gotten a lot after the fact just by being reasonable. Offer to pay for the part and they cover the labor... or vice versa.

Update #2:

I'd call their customer service number and open a case with them. Otherwise they may say they never received your letter. Plus it's easier to call. Also don't start off with a compromise, start with your full ask. Mention your Toyota loyalty, be nice yet firm.

The rubber oil cooler line failure is a known issue where if the rubber gets a hole, all your oil comes out while driving. Toyota has a metal replacement part # for it. You may wish to verify if your local mechanic used the newer metal replacement part, or just another rubber hose.

Personally I was surprised Toyota didn't do a full recall on this part, as the Sienna is one of it's flagship family vehicles. One possible way for you to determine if any engine damage occurred would be to monitor to see if any increased oil consumption in future oil change intervals. I hope all is well. Those Sienna's can go 300k miles if you want them to.

I am debating if I should spend money to fix the leak or say good bye to my old friend.

(1) my wife reported the van is "making noise" and she can smell something burning. And when asked she said it has been like this since Wednesday.
(2) sure enough, there were oil drips in the driveway. Not a puddle, but the fresh drip was enough to completely soak one piece of tissue.
(3) no oil in the dip stick but no oil light on
(4) it was not from the oil plug or the filter, it was somewhere higher around the engine.
(5) oil reached all the way to the spare tire - must be spewing when engine was running
(6) overhead cam noise (tap tap tap tap) is LOUD. And she drove the car in this condition at least one hour cumulatively.

Do I have enough evidence this 3.5L engine is done for?

Please advice..
Thanks.
I‘d be upset too, but honestly I don’t think you should divorce your wife over this (Or worse).

Kidding aside. Put oil in it and see what happens.

The rubber oil cooler line failure is a known issue where if the rubber gets a hole, all your oil comes out while driving. Toyota has a metal replacement part # for it. You may wish to verify if your local mechanic used the newer metal replacement part, or just another rubber hose.

Personally I was surprised Toyota didn't do a full recall on this part, as the Sienna is one of it's flagship family vehicles. One possible way for you to determine if any engine damage occurred would be to monitor to see if any increased oil consumption in future oil change intervals. I hope all is well. Those Sienna's can go 300k miles if you want them to.
Toyota did, mine was replaced free on my 2008 Sienna

So I found oil drips in the driveway, I went back to the garage. Jacked up and found that neither of the oil cooler line joints were wet but the joint between the engine and the transmission was wet - is that a common spot to see drips? They say it is engine oil, not the ATF.

So I found oil drips in the driveway, I went back to the garage. Jacked up and found that neither of the oil cooler line joints were wet but the joint between the engine and the transmission was wet - is that a common spot to see drips? They say it is engine oil, not the ATF.
You had a massive oil leak, right? This thing had oil in every pocket, nook and cranny, so as that oil works its way out from them, it will drip oil for a while, no matter how well you, or the garage, cleaned it.

Hose it off with your favorite degreaser, drive it for another week, clean it again, then start checking for leaks.

That's great that it wasn't a catastrophic error. My ex-wife drove our car about 40 miles with the oil light 2 days before we got married. Motor seized and I should have seen the omen then.
yep, I was at a buddies house when one of his wife's friend showed up in her Honda minivan, smoke rolling out from under the hood... her comment before she asked my buddy to look at it was " the red light was on but I was able to drive it here"

yep, I was at a buddies house when one of his wife's friend showed up in her Honda minivan, smoke rolling out from under the hood... her comment before she asked my buddy to look at it was " the red light was on but I was able to drive it here"
Exactly what my ex said😆

Back