wife drove 08 Sienna with low oil for 2 days, with loud tapping

I am debating if I should spend money to fix the leak or say good bye to my old friend.

(1) my wife reported the van is "making noise" and she can smell something burning. And when asked she said it has been like this since Wednesday.
(2) sure enough, there were oil drips in the driveway. Not a puddle, but the fresh drip was enough to completely soak one piece of tissue.
(3) no oil in the dip stick but no oil light on
(4) it was not from the oil plug or the filter, it was somewhere higher around the engine.
(5) oil reached all the way to the spare tire - must be spewing when engine was running
(6) overhead cam noise (tap tap tap tap) is LOUD. And she drove the car in this condition at least one hour cumulatively.

Do I have enough evidence this 3.5L engine is done for?

Please advice..
Thanks.

I will buy some oil tomorrow and do exactly that.
I think that is a good test - (1) starving oil? (2) oil level is ok but oil pressure still low?

It seems somewhere front, in the middle, lower half of the engine. But higher than the oil filter

What you need in that Sienna is a digital display of the coolant temperature and the oil pressure. And you need to have it displayed in such a manner that the driver has to look at it whether they want to or not.

Add oil, if it quiets down don't worry about it. Then focus on finding and fixing the leak, or pay someone. Then check the oil weekly for your wife. If after adding oil and it doesn't quiet down I see a replacement vehicle in your future. Keep up with the maintenance and checking oil in that vehicle to avoid a problem down the road.

I guess if we knew the year and mileage of the vehicle it would help to determine if it's worth fixing. Is it an 08 Sienna and how bad is the rest of the vehicle? It sounds as if the sound does not go away after filling it to the full line you are out of luck. Otherwise it's probably going to be a few thousand to get it corrected again and then if it's a high miler it may be toast.

maybe do an oil change and see what comes out of it , would not hurt to get whatever is in there out

Back