Why You Should NEVER Go 10K Miles Between Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fairly long video, and this guy is a bit long winded. But you can skip through parts of it, and still get the whole good out of it. He shows you how and why 10,000 mile oil changes are a nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. Even though in many cases they are, "Factory Recommended".

He walks you through how 10,000 mile oil changes required this Toyota to receive a new short block. Along with the $6,000.00+ bill that went along with it. Bottom line, NEVER go over 5,000 miles on a oil change..... EVER.

Is this the 3rd post on this Youtube video on BITOG? It hard for me to remember because it is about the tenth time I've seen it between FB and Tundra forums.

Also, "Never" is a strong word...only the Sith deal in absolutes. The video clearly states that vehicle was services with dealer bulk oil and lots of people (most people?) never keep a vehicle for long enough for carbon buildup to make a difference. I haven't owned a car that made it past 100k in 20 years. Somewhere on here there was a post how less than 1% of vehicles every make 200k miles. Only on Bitog is there an expectation that all vehicles will go 500K miles with "the best" oil. Now I'm still the schmuck doing 5K mile OCIs because I want to keep my current vehicles as long as possible and because it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside but it probably makes little difference - at least for the Tundra and RX 350. That Soul is a different story.

Last edited:
Didn't we just have a long thread about this?

There's plenty of engines with 3k mile oil changes that have coked rings and bad oil consumption. There's also engines that go 15-25k miles that are nice and clean inside. The video isn't proof of anything except that an engine can wear out.

There's dozens of reasons this engine could've gotten this way. It can have nothing to do with the oil. With a lot of modern engines, the ECU will constantly attempt to advance spark timing to the ideal point until it detects micro-detonation and then backs it off. This is common in high compression engines of the last 20 years. Repeatedly doing that over several years and 150k miles can lead to that microdetonation knocking some of the tension out of the rings. You get a lot more oil transport past the oil rings causing oil consumption problems and coking the rings further increasing the consumption problem. This is just one example of how an engine can get like that at no fault of the oil and regardless of what oil or interval is used.

Gents, this is the fourth time (that I’ve seen) this video has been posted. Not judging the video, but I’m locking this thread as I’ve locked other duplicate postings.

Please feel free to view the video and discussion here:

Or here:

No need for multiple threads on the same video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back