18.000 miles no oil change in a '96 Renault and I opened the valve cover

Really doesn’t look too bad. Diesels are very forgiving compared to gasoline engines when it comes to poor oil change diligence. There’s definitely some sludge and baked oil as you noted, but if you run a good 5k interval of high quality oil with a cleaning additive, it’ll be good to go.
why is that? The turbo doesn't like poor oil change habits

the main reason behind the usage of wasted oil from now on is bc I don't think I have to run with any cost of a car which isn't mine. And yes, my GF is very cheap with everything related to her car (and she also has no idea of the consequences of neglecting it, I just told her a couple of times and she said I was making a big deal of it).

other reasons revolve around the idea of testing how far this POS can go running with wasted oil (probably a lot)
Setup a go fund me for new oil ?

• Haha
Reactions: jcy
My gf owns this '96 Renault Megane Diesel (no turbo, 60 HP naturally aspirated).

The last OC was performed before the pandemic (more than 4 years ago and 18.000 miles).

She's been warned multiple times of the importance of OCI's (well, her bf is a BITOGer lol) (edit - MOD)

The car was leaking profusely through the valve cover gasket, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace it. Here is what I found:

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-01-at-12-39-33-AM-1.jpg

What do you guys think about it? It's the dirtiest engine I've ever seen in my life no doubt, but bearing in mind the fact it's a diesel engine I must confess that I expected something worse. But yeah, sludge is starting to develop in some parts of the camshaft and baked oil all over the place too.

Also, the car has emptied the oil jar I bought many years ago to top it off, so I'm gonna start to top it off with wasted oil I collect when I change the oil of my beemer... will this old Renault withstand it and if so, for how long? We'll see

NOW SOME PICS OF THE CAR:

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-16-at-10-54-10.jpg
Nothing to worry about there IMHO

It’s an old school non turbo French diesel from the time before the EU emissions laws ruining diesel reliability

That engine will definitely outlast the car, and probably outlast some of us.

I wouldn’t be bothered whatsoever.

I would be more concerned about the fuel filter and air filter

why is that? The turbo doesn't like poor oil change habits
You clearly didn’t read the OP properly

This is a pre EU meddling Non Turbo diesel from Renault

Back when the French were making the best and strongest diesel engines for cars.

The thing to remember about French cars is they are best experienced in basic spec, just like the vast majority of French drivers do

The number of 90’s French cars still being driven round parts of Africa would likely surprise many

Lesson?

What lesson?

That small, non turbo French diesels are some of the most economical and robust cars you can own?
Usually naturally aspirated diesels are big in displacement, low in hp hence why they last longer. Kind of like a school bus engine. 7.6 liter 466 international all that size and very little hp. European too!

Usually naturally aspirated diesels are big in displacement, low in hp hence why they last longer. Kind of like a school bus engine. 7.6 liter 466 international all that size and very little hp. European too!
French diesels have always been robust, as the French Government encouraged car makers to make economical, robust and simple diesels for many years.

Large capacity diesels in cars are rare in Europe, turbo or non turbo

When you consider the 3.0 Ford diesel Lion engine can produce 300bhp the need for large displacement is less relevant

Especially since the 4.4V8 diesel wasn’t hugely more powerful really.

Also, the car has emptied the oil jar I bought many years ago to top it off,
Fix the VC gasket leak (good for you), change the oil and filter, change the other filters (as others have already mentioned), examine/clean the wiper blades, lube the hinges, treat the weatherstrips, clean the glass, check the tire pressure/inspect the tires.

Q: How big was that "oil jar" and how often was the car driven with low oil?

My wife's relatives had a Saturn (takes 4 quarts of oil) running on 1.
I would've happily added 3 quarts of my old oil had I had some with me.
I would've changed the oil shortly thereafter.

I have topped off many friends' oil with my non-disgusting old oil.
The stupid looks people give you when you show them their oil is low are amazing.
These "oil bimbos" will never do what's plainly needed....so there is a place for used oil. It can save many an engine.

If you butt heads over oil maintenance with your gf, rethink the relationship.

Maybe I missed it but what are the miles on this old French diesel?
I know that Peugeot made excellent small diesels and I guess Renault did as well but as someone who had a 1980 Renault 5 'Le Car' in the family (bought new by my brother after graduating college) I can truly say the French march to their own drummer.....and not always in a good way.

To the OP: I would spring for new oil and filter and tell her it's her birthday present.....putting used oil in it is disrespectful to the engine IMO.

I know that Peugeot made excellent small diesels and I guess Renault did as well but as someone who had a 1980 Renault 5 'Le Car' in the family (bought new by my brother after graduating college) I can truly say the French march to their own drummer.....and not always in a good way.

To the OP: I would spring for new oil and filter and tell her it's her birthday present.....putting used oil in it is disrespectful to the engine IMO.
It was a cheap city car in 1980 and was nowhere near as good as the Renault 5 that came after it

90’s and early 00’s French cars are far better than people believe

However they depreciate heavily in the UK which puts them in the hands of the type of owner that thinks maintenance is washing the car once a year

Needless to say that I have not changed the oil, I don't think I should carry with that cost if she thinks it's an ''unnecesary thing''. I just purchased the gasket bc its price was only 2,40 € and I had to buy some parts for my car, so I took the chance
I think you should have changed the oil. You were right there looking at a dirty engine and tut tutting about the oil never getting changed.

My gf owns this '96 Renault Megane Diesel (no turbo, 60 HP naturally aspirated).

The last OC was performed before the pandemic (more than 4 years ago and 18.000 miles).

She's been warned multiple times of the importance of OCI's (well, her bf is a BITOGer lol) (edit - MOD)

The car was leaking profusely through the valve cover gasket, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace it. Here is what I found:

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-01-at-12-39-33-AM-1.jpg

What do you guys think about it? It's the dirtiest engine I've ever seen in my life no doubt, but bearing in mind the fact it's a diesel engine I must confess that I expected something worse. But yeah, sludge is starting to develop in some parts of the camshaft and baked oil all over the place too.

Also, the car has emptied the oil jar I bought many years ago to top it off, so I'm gonna start to top it off with wasted oil I collect when I change the oil of my beemer... will this old Renault withstand it and if so, for how long? We'll see

NOW SOME PICS OF THE CAR:

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-16-at-10-54-10.jpg
Give her a break and throw some flush additve and then a proper OC and filter. After all ain't she your best gal? ❤️♥️

231000 km on it, which is 143000 miles

I gotta say that the car has his days numbered, since this weekend started to make a noise coming from the gearbox or the clutch, i'm not sure. It works propperly however, but I think it's just a matter of time that the wear becomes noticeable

the noise only appears here and there in neutral, and it vanishes kicking the clutch. I think it will be a day when it's gonna appear more frequently until making impossible switching gears or something... Also, removing the gearbox or replacing the clutch involves the removal of the subframe, steering rack, etc. jacking the engine from under, so I dont even think about fixing it

to sum up, the car has a long story of issues which make its ownership a non pleasant experience (faulty antilock security system kickin in everytime, so you have to put a code of 4 numbers everytime you have to turn the engine on, alongside with faulty central lock -the car has two keys, one for the driver's door and the other for the rest of the car- what more... ah yes! over the past 4 years it's getting harder and harder to pass the inspection due to emissions).

btw gf is thinking on purchasing a brand new Seat Leon. I'm sad about that bc I really like the Uncle Buck's car vibes this hooptie gives lol

Last edited:
It was a cheap city car in 1980 and was nowhere near as good as the Renault 5 that came after it

90’s and early 00’s French cars are far better than people believe

However they depreciate heavily in the UK which puts them in the hands of the type of owner that thinks maintenance is washing the car once a year
this is exactly the way my gf thinks maintenance is... she actually washes the car once a year (every summer) and takes it to the tire-shop when the tire threads look like slicks. (well, she also takes it to the gas station)

Fix the VC gasket leak (good for you), change the oil and filter, change the other filters (as others have already mentioned), examine/clean the wiper blades, lube the hinges, treat the weatherstrips, clean the glass, check the tire pressure/inspect the tires.

Q: How big was that "oil jar" and how often was the car driven with low oil?

My wife's relatives had a Saturn (takes 4 quarts of oil) running on 1.
I would've happily added 3 quarts of my old oil had I had some with me.
I would've changed the oil shortly thereafter.

I have topped off many friends' oil with my non-disgusting old oil.
The stupid looks people give you when you show them their oil is low are amazing.
These "oil bimbos" will never do what's plainly needed....so there is a place for used oil. It can save many an engine.

If you butt heads over oil maintenance with your gf, rethink the relationship.
that oil jar had 5 liters of capacity.

And I dont butt head over oil maintenance with my gf at all (I was kiddin in the OP), I just care the minimum about it, and if I care is only bc she doesnt like cars at all and she relies on me when it comes to her vehicle's maintenance.

18.000 miles - that's cute.
I'm running 100000 without oil change or filter change (just some refill if needed) on my 2002 Explorer.
it seems like you are a very careful owner. I imagine that rain is your ''ecologic'' car wash choice lol

I see you are waiting until you piss her off before changing the oil for her....right?? The obligatory BF oil change is such low hanging fruit, why waste it when she is happy with you now?

I don't do that though because I like changing oil and I like doing nice things for my GF regardless of her mood. What can I say, I am a nice guy and she's worth it.

I see you are waiting until you piss her off before changing the oil for her....right?? The obligatory BF oil change is such low hanging fruit, why waste it when she is happy with you now?

I don't do that though because I like changing oil and I like doing nice things for my GF regardless of her mood. What can I say, I am a nice guy and she's worth it.

dunno if I misunderstood something, but if Im not mistaken I gotta say that this is a gnarly way of thinking lol

Back