Why PCMO prices will fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simple fact is, we are entering a period of protracted deflation. You are watching it in front of your very eyes--look at how much cheaper it is to buy a house today than it was three years ago. The reason for this disflationary period is simple: Baby Boomers have passed their peak consumption years and are saving for retirement. 70% of the U.S. economy is personal consumption. The average American reaches the peak of the spending cycle at age 46. It's all downhill from there. There are 10,000 BB's retiring every single day and this will continue for the next decade. Think about this. 10,000 each day leaving a productive, tax paying occupation now sticking their hands out for government entitlements.

In addition to the inevitable demographic trend, we have done a very poor job of preparing for what we know is coming. Instead of saving and reducing debt, we've been borrowing and spending like drunken sailors. Personal debt in the U.S. DOUBLED between 2000-2008 from $22T to $44T. We've all heard about the U.S. government being $15T in debt, but we really haven't paid much attention to the unfunded liabilities of Social Security, Medicare and the pensions of government workers at all levels. In total, these liabilities represent in excess of $100T in debt that must and will be unwound. We have mortgaged our future which means we will have to sacrifice some of our future standard of living to pay for our past excesses. Couple this with the unavoidable demographic consequences and you have a recipe for a tremendous reduction in demand for products of all kind.

The unfortunate result of all of this will be deflation. Demand will fall dramatically which results initially in lower prices as businesses struggle to survive. Unemployment will likely double from where it is today. Bankruptcies for both businesses and individuals will skyrocket. Foreclosures on homes and commercial property will accelerate. Commodities such as oil will not be immune. Over the next decade, we will see oil return to $25-$30/bbl (and likely lower) and gas prices below $2/gl. The PCMO price increases of last winter and spring are already failing. Notice all the coupons, rebates and other give-backs on the higher priced oil. Demand for these products was damaged. Add in the new found appreciation by the general public for extended OCIs and you can see there simply is not the demand for oil products that there once was.

Is there a light at the end of this admittedly gloomy tunnel? Yes. Once again, we look to demographic trends for answers. The 'Echo Boomers' will come to the rescue. These are the children of BB'ers who have entered the job market, gotten married, started families, bought houses, cars, furnishings, appliances and all the stuff you need to raise children. The lower prices from a decade of deflation will help stimulate a new wave of demographic demand. Debt will be lower and a new generation of earners will be able to borrow again. Unfortunately, this new wave of demand doesn't begin until at least 2023.

So, don't worry about building that stash--oil WILL be cheaper a year from now and two years from now and five years from now. Cash will be king once again as our entire society learns the hard lessons of over consumption on borrowed money.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. Once a greedy oil company gets the public to pay inflated prices for a necessity they aren't so likely to take less of a margin. The price of oil has fallen, a qt of oil on the store shelf hasn't. Please note my comments are about engine oil.
27.gif

You speak of "government entitlement" in your last sentence of the first paragraph in a negative tone. You do realize that these baby boomers have paid for this 'entitlement' through withholdings from their paychecks over the 40 years of their working lives? Their employers have also paid into this 'entitlement' program too.

Now you make it sound like they're trying to freeload off of a system that was funded from their income. I don't understand this mentality.

I would hope you are right also. would be nice to see the gas prices come down as well. it's funny when they say the economy is doing bad and gas prices are driving up prices of every day items yet the balloon does not pop like it did in the housing market a couple of years ago. if we want to increase consumer spending cheaper gas will free up more cash to spend and stimulate the economy imo.

Interesting analysis...but just added to my stash yesterday with some M1 0W30 AFE on clearance for .98/qt...that's right, less than a dollar/qt...so unless the price of everything falls by about 85%, I still think sniping a good price when you find it beats even calculated betting on macro trends...

Don't forget about the "Supply and Demand" theory. If demand for items, such as motor oil, cuts back....so will the supply....so the prices will not drop or crash....as you suggest/think....but increase big time.

IMO...If you see a sale or a clearance on motor oil.....take advantage of it. IMO...prices are going higher....much higher.....very soon for oil and petroleum products.

I wouldn't bet against The Bernank. He's proven he is willing to expand the Fed's balance sheet to infinity if necessary to prevent deflation.

Also worthy of note, in The Bernank's academic worldview, as long as your wages are stagnant there is no inflation - even if gas goes to $10.

Have you noticed how oil co. take advantage? Heads we win tails you lose? When crude goes up, rocket go the prices when crude goes down, floating feather goes the prices.
cry.gif
Because they control so much nobody ever thinks of doing anything but agreeing. Another example how little we are in control, paper or plastic? window or aisle? we are given so litle control.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...prices are going higher....much higher.....very soon for oil and petroleum products.

What do you base your opinion on?

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
I wouldn't bet against The Bernank. He's proven he is willing to expand the Fed's balance sheet to infinity if necessary to prevent deflation.

Remember that Bernacke is a student of the depression of the 1930s. Everything he is doing today is to fight deflation as he knows it is the most destructive of all economic trends. Unfortunately, he is at the end of his rope after spending $2-$3T and the problem is in excess of $100T. He is attempting to stave off the drop in demand caused by the natural downturn in spending by the largest demographic wave in American history. He is delaying it, but adding to the debt total that must be unwound.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about motor oil here, once the existing inventory of SM oils, on clearance, at retail stores is gone....it's gone for good.

Take a walk into an auto parts store or even Kmart. Notice the nice new higher prices for 5 quart jugs. Kmart has the every day price on PYB, VWB etc at about $25.

If demand for a product, needed by the consumer for needs goes down, the production will slow down to allow the price to stabilize. OPEC meets quite often to determine how much they will produce to keep the supply of their commodity stable. They know there will be a demand for their oil....and they will keep the price high.

Take a look at the price of ADD PACKS or motor oil. Prices have skyrocketed and will continue to do so. Organic add packs are introduced now since the price of precious metals has increased...via China.

IMO....If your smart, take advantage of a sales price in motor oil when you find a good deal. Even next generation motor oil will be high....since it has to be re-refined and that costs energy.

Indy, what do you mean by "sticking their hands out for government entitlements"? As a 48 year old BB i can assure you that i have set aside $$ from each paycheck for the last 21 years into a deferred comp as well as contributed to my retirement acct becuase i don't want to be a burden to soc security. Plus i don't expect SS to do anything other than help with medical costs when i need it. In the meantime, i really can't pass up a good sale or rebate offer. Its an illness i guess.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Don't forget about the "Supply and Demand" theory. If demand for items, such as motor oil, cuts back....so will the supply....so the prices will not drop or crash....as you suggest/think....but increase big time.

IMO...If you see a sale or a clearance on motor oil.....take advantage of it. IMO...prices are going higher....much higher.....very soon for oil and petroleum products.

Mongo is right on! Oil is not a commodity like corn. Supply is limited, and demand grows every year. China is putting 15 million new cars on the road every year, and scrapping very few (because that have very few cars that are old) India starting to do the same. No way oil prices will ever go down...

My parents don't fit the age 46 thing. If anything, their spending has continued going up. Bigger house, nicer cars, nicer things in the house, etc.

Oil supply is limited is simply a opinion. There is much oil out there, that is yet to even be tapped into and further more sources, being blocked by environuts as well as people cashing in on the "Green" agenda. Alot of this oil is easy pickings and could easily provide a end to lot of our current economical problems. I dont even believe oil is limited and find it hard to believe its a fossil fuel created from dead sea life, why is it found in such large quanities in one area, did plankton have cemetaries? I believe it is a by-product of earths core, something we will never find out. That would be the best kept secret by many, any oil company, anyone make billions off the supply and demand therory and enviro-nuts who can forward their green tech therory, with the assumption oil is limited. I dont ever look for oil/gas to become cheap again, because they know we will pay up to $4 a gallon for it, so no matter how many miles a gallon a car gets, no matter how efficent every thing comes, they will make the same profit margin and you will still be spending the same for X amount of gas as Y amount of gas. It is just the nature of bussiness and the price of modern living.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Do oil companies control the price of crude oil?

Nope, but when the price of crude falls their profit margin grows. If they adjust prices down it is very slowly and usually not in proportion to their savings on crude. This has been going on for years nothing new here.

I think you're applying US scale economics to a global scale commodity (crude oil). Are China and India at their peak consumption? Because they're 2 billion plus people and we're only 300 million. They will have much more impact on the price of crude than an aging US population.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Oil supply is limited is simply a opinion.

No, its actually a fact. Why else would they be drilling in 2 miles of water off the coast of Brazil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back