why is pennzoil platinum so highly regarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Then add in the all the false rumors about Mobil 1 from the competitors (many of whom post here), and Mobil 1 is now the Darth Vader of motor oil.

Which are false?

There have been many rumors, included that Mobil 1 was being recalled, that Walmart would no longer carry it, etc.

The latest seems to be that it does not meet API specifications, which I can't prove is false (the same way you can't prove you aren't beating your wife/girlfriend/dog) but no one has proved it is true, despite the fact that many consider it gospel.

Even when it is shown that the overwhelming major of race teams at the recent 24 hours of Daytona use regular Mobil 1 straight from the retail containers, there will be all kinds of unsubstantiated (and false) explanations as to why that is.

Even when it is shown that the overwhelming major of race teams at the recent 24 hours of Daytona use regular Mobil 1 straight from the retail containers, there will be all kinds of unsubstantiated (and false) explanations as to why that is.

Just like the containers of Syntec that John Force racing put in their Nitro motors...

I'm sure its the same stuff. Sure looked like it. Full retail jugs.
crackmeup2.gif

Since Syntec can take on 8000 hp motors then it would be the best for my 130 hp engine...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just like the containers of Syntec that John Force racing put in their Nitro motors...

I'm sure its the same stuff. Sure looked like it. Full retail jugs.
crackmeup2.gif

Since Syntec can take on 8000 hp motors then it would be the best for my 130 hp engine...

Many of the 24 hours of Daytona Grand-Am race cars use engines that are not significantly different than regular cars (not anything like F1, Indy Car, or even NASCAR Sprint Cup Series). There are two classes of Grand-Am, Daytona Prototypes and GT, and they usually share the track together. The GT class cars are tuned production cars and engines and includes Chevrolet, Pontiac, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Mazda, and others. So yes, I would think that what these cars use could be relevant to the average consumer.

Regarding whether the 24 Hours of Daytona cars actually used Mobil 1 straight from the retail containers, Johnny said it was true and he took reasonable steps to verify that. So I hope you are not doubting the veracity of his claims.

Originally Posted By: tropic
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
OK. Many Daytona cars run OTC blends. So what?

Exactly.

You guys said, so what. If you will read Johnny's coments carefully he answers that question. The car owners told Johnny the reason they use it is , because it works. R&D and much experience was behind that answer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
OK. Many Daytona cars run OTC blends. So what?

People can draw their own conclusions as to what that means.

I was just correcting mis-statements made in another post. Surely you want to hear the truth as opposed to falsehoods, don't you?

I did not realize anybody had any doubt about it. They are basically stock engines anyway with oil coolers and oversized sumps/double remote filters. Why would they require any special lube? They don't. They run Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil1 etc. etc.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
It is a Group III based oil (Highly refined oil, Not PAO or Ester based)
It has a great Additive Package (Most important thing)
It shows great UOA's (Used Oil Analysis) Reports
It is reasonably priced for a Synthetic Oil

http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/base_oils.php

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1104963

It may be Group III based, but I'm sure that at least the 5W-30 and probably the 5W-20 weights may contain a significant amount of PAO...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It may be Group III based, but I'm sure that at least the 5W-30 and probably the 5W-20 weights may contain a significant amount of PAO...

Why are you so sure? According to Johnny, PP is a Group III synthetic. It is certainly priced like a Group III synthetic.

Maybe there are very small amounts of PAO in the additive package (or maybe not), but I don't think there are "significant amount of PAO" in PP.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Q-Horsepower will be the new PP.

You wait and see.

You mean QS Ultimate Durability? Q-Horsepower name is being retired.

I have already seen some of the new QS Enahced Durability at Walmart, but the Ultimate Durability yet.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
But isn't Group III base oil better than Group II and II+ base oil ?

Group III is the minimum in order to be called a synthetic oil in the US. Apparently, in the EU, an oil must be Group IV or above to be called a synthetic.

Since we are talking about synthetics (Pennzoil Platinum and others) then Group II and II+ are not relevant.

What sold me on PP was the UOAs on MY engine using PP and the price, which was $0.99/qt after rebate in early '08.

Needless to say, I stocked up at that price.

It is an excellent oil at a fair price, even w/o rebates.

Why are you so sure? According to Johnny, PP is a Group III synthetic. It is certainly priced like a Group III synthetic.

Maybe there are very small amounts of PAO in the additive package (or maybe not), but I don't think there are "significant amount of PAO" in PP.

PAO is listed on the MSDS. I believe, and this is strictly IMO, that the 5W-30 formulation contains PAO to meet the HTO-06 spec. I do think it is mostly Group III by a wide margin, but I also think there is a significant percentage of PAO...

Johnny, by his own admission, isn't kept up on reformulations of Pennzoil products. I think when he retired, PP was still considered a Group V...

PAO is listed on the MSDS. I believe, and this is strictly IMO, that the 5W-30 formulation contains PAO to meet the HTO-06 spec. I do think it is mostly Group III by a wide margin, but I also think there is a significant percentage of PAO...

Johnny, by his own admission, isn't kept up on reformulations of Pennzoil products. I think when he retired, PP was still considered a Group V...

Would you mind sharing the MSDS information your are referring to? PAO/Ester stock is not considered to be an hazardous material and does not have the be disclosed in a MSDS from what I have seen.

I think that Johnny still has some contacts at Pennzoil. However, the PP sold in Europe may indeed have some PAO, as well as the 0W-20 grade (which apparently costs more than 5W-20 in the US.

I think your reference to PP previously being Group V is a typo? You mean Group III? AFAIK PP is still a group III for 5W-20 and 5W-30 in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back