Quaker State Ultimate Protection vs Pennzoil Platinum

A search did not indicate whether this specific matchup has been posted - so I'm curious about a few things:

1. Given these two are from the same company (SOPUS) what the differences are,

2. In the long run, is the QS quantitatively (particularly 5W-30) is better than the Pennzoil Platinum ? The QS is several dollars a jug less than the PP.

3. Is this just an ad campaign aimed at those loyal to QS versus Pennzoil ? . . . sort of like a certain brewery's 'less filling' vs 'tastes great' ads

Thanks in advance
Probably more towards number 3. I think the only difference is the color of the jug.

Last edited:
A search did not indicate whether this specific matchup has been posted - so I'm curious about a few things:

1. Given these two are from the same company (SOPUS) what the differences are,

2. In the long run, is the QS quantitatively (particularly 5W-30) is better than the Pennzoil Platinum ? The QS is several dollars a jug less than the PP.

3. Is this just an ad campaign aimed at those loyal to QS versus Pennzoil ? . . . sort of like a certain brewery's 'less filling' vs 'tastes great' ads

Thanks in advance
If all of the certifications of both oils are the same, there will be no functional difference whatsoever between the two oils. There may be some minor differences in TBN and viscosity that can affect the overall OCI length slightly, but the protection will be statistically identical.

IMO either pick by price or by preference, but understand that your engine will never know the difference between the two products.

But which one will protect better ?
I’m going to say both are very competitive synthetics. Quaker state does have the advantage having a higher flash point I'm no chemist and don’t want to give false claims, I was just reading sds sheets and came across that info. Having the higher flashpoint, I would guess that makes the oil less volatile? Kind of makes sense if the pennzoil is derived from natural gas since natural gas does produce lower btu’s.

After reviewing QS and Pennzoil websites it’s just a marketing strategy for those that are brand loyal it comes down to green or yellow. Both will work well. It’s just marketing of a improved formulation of QS.

I’m going to say both are very competitive synthetics. Quaker state does have the advantage having a higher flash point I'm no chemist and don’t want to give false claims, I was just reading sds sheets and came across that info. Having the higher flashpoint, I would guess that makes the oil less volatile? Kind of makes sense if the pennzoil is derived from natural gas since natural gas does produce lower btu’s.
Noack (somewhat) represents volatility, flash point represents the temperature the material will ignite in the presence of a flame.

And BTU value of a lubricating oil? Why would that matter? And why would the synthesis method matter?

And BTU value of a lubricating oil? Why would that matter? And why would the synthesis method matter?
Was just typing my thoughts on how the two handle heat and seeing the difference being slightly lower on the pennzoil being Gas to liquid. Correct me, if I am wrong are other brands doing the gas to liquid process also?

Was just typing my thoughts on how the two handle heat and seeing the difference being slightly lower on the pennzoil being Gas to liquid. Correct me, if I am wrong are other brands doing the gas to liquid process also?
Yes other blenders use Group III base stocks derived from natural gas. But back to the BTU values that has nothing to do with how the oil handles heat. That has to do with how much heat is produced when the material is burned.

Back