why is pennzoil platinum so highly regarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what made this the apparent darling of BITOG

I'm gonna try it, and it looks to be very good. I just don't find a lot of history on it so I'm curious.

What type of synthetic is it? (I'll need an explanation cause I don't understand what the heck hydrocracked means :) )

Thanks

Good oil and its price is not insane compared to other syns.
01.gif

Its a group III which means NOTHING!

Do not get caught up in the Group this or syn/conventional that.

Get caught up on making sure you change the oil!

welcome2.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: ZZman
It is a Group III based oil (Highly refined oil, Not PAO or Ester based)
It has a great Additive Package (Most important thing)
It shows great UOA's (Used Oil Analysis) Reports
It is reasonably priced for a Synthetic Oil

**See this base oil chart: http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/base_oils.php

Thanks ZZ. That is a very helpful link

From the 2009 Petro Canada Lubricants Handbook, in reference to their group III oils, made using their refining processes.
-very high VI index (100 to 130)
-Low volatility
-Excellent oxidation resistance
-High thermal stability
-Excellent low temp fluidity
-Low toxicity

"these features give performance characteristics very similar to lubricants based on poly-alpha-olefin (PAO), a type of synthetic"

This should help in the understanding of hydrocracking.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/298.aspx

or

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/resource/262.aspx there you can search their resource center

or
download the handbook and in pages 21 to 26 there is a description on the process

Why the darling?
Available, affordable (good value for what it is), and returns good results in the UOA section.
I'm running it in the exact model Toyota as yours.

Cheaper than M1, excellent UOAs, possibly better than average NVH suppression, and it smells good.

It's the magic pixie dust-LOL Actually, the differences between a lot of these synthetic oils is probably fairly small. Each has their particular strong points-some have more of one additive or some have a higher TBN.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Cheaper than M1, excellent UOAs, possibly better than average NVH suppression, and it smells good.

thumbsup2.gif

Very good oil for the price. Lots of UOA's to prove it. Pennzoil is not number one in sales by luck.

Mobil 1 - They changed their formula from 100% PAO/Ester to about 40-50% several years ago, so we must punish them severely (even though PP is a Group III oil). Besides, they are top dog, and everyone loves the underdog. Then add in the all the false rumors about Mobil 1 from the competitors (many of whom post here), and Mobil 1 is now the Darth Vader of motor oil.

Castrol - Syntec deceived everyone in the late 1990's by calling Group III a synthetic, and their advertising is still questionable and increasingly obnoxious. Edge looks good but is hideously expensive in 5-quart jugs. Besides, I wouldn't buy a British car (nothing to do with politics), so why buy a British oil?

Quaker State - The other half of the Shell USA duo (along with Pennzoil) seems to be marketed at oil dummies these days, and unless you believe in the fairy tale about "Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil" (which are not even used in the synthetics), then why bother? Besides, green is not my favorite color.

Valvoline - Their first attempt at a synthetic was less than stellar, although it has apparently improved recently. Valvoline was thought to be an good-ol-boy "All-American oil" based in Kentucky, but now we know they get most of their base stocks from Motiva Enterprises LLC, a joint venture of Royal Dutch Shell and Saudi Refining Inc, so the bloom has faded a bit.

Amsoil, RP, etc. - Maybe good oils, but outrageously expensive, and no really seems to be sure anymore whether they are API and manufacturer certified.

Pennzoil Platinum - This leaves PP to to win by default. Besides, Johnny is regular poster here, and a really nice guy.

A guy I know got a great UOA from PP 5w-30 an Audi 1.8Turbo, driven hard in summer, with a chipped ECU in a engine that call for VW 502 oil (normally a 5w-40)

At 5k, a reasonable oci for this 4q engine, PP 5w-30 did great in a tough application for a good price. I can only imagine the 10w-30 would do better, with it's super low volitility.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A guy I know got a great UOA from PP 5w-30 an Audi 1.8Turbo, driven hard in summer, with a chipped ECU in a engine that call for VW 502 oil (normally a 5w-40)

At 5k, a reasonable oci for this 4q engine, PP 5w-30 did great in a tough application for a good price. I can only imagine the 10w-30 would do better, with it's super low volitility.

If the guy had to pay for PP and the UOA, then its not so good price anymore, is it?

Even though Johnny is a regular poster here it still doesnt change the fact that PP has shown great UOAs.
Now I dont think UOAs are the perfect standard for determining engine wear but Mobil has less than an stellar record. Im not into all the Mobil hype. Everyone thinks highly of a certain oil for a reason. I believe Redline protects my Mustang better than most synthetics. I run Penn products in our daily drivers and have had great results. 1991 F150 5.0, PYB from first oil change to 350,000 miles and a 2000 Explorer 4.0 to 196,000 with out any noticable oil consumption or oil related problems. That to me says alot.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Pennzoil Platinum - This leaves PP to to win by default. Besides, Johnny is regular poster here, and a really nice guy.

Johnny is the only reason I would ever buy Pennzoil. They should cut him a bonus check.

woohoo! 100th post! This IS a sign that I should go PP after I use up my M1 rebates!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defeated
Johnny is the only reason I would ever buy Pennzoil. They should cut him a bonus check.

I know that. I wasn't kidding in my post above. The reasons I stated are completely accurate and not intended as a joke.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Then add in the all the false rumors about Mobil 1 from the competitors (many of whom post here), and Mobil 1 is now the Darth Vader of motor oil.

Which are false?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back