Quaker State Ultimate Protection vs Pennzoil Platinum

A search did not indicate whether this specific matchup has been posted - so I'm curious about a few things:

1. Given these two are from the same company (SOPUS) what the differences are,

2. In the long run, is the QS quantitatively (particularly 5W-30) is better than the Pennzoil Platinum ? The QS is several dollars a jug less than the PP.

3. Is this just an ad campaign aimed at those loyal to QS versus Pennzoil ? . . . sort of like a certain brewery's 'less filling' vs 'tastes great' ads

Thanks in advance

The QS is several dollars a jug less than the PP.
Quaker State costs less because it's marketing budget is only a fraction of that of Pennzoil's. Shortly after the Shell buyout, the decision was made to make Quaker State available at a lower price point by providing less marketing support. This decision was conveyed to employees at the time.

I've used them both many times and had the same question. Might have something to do with the way Pennzoil is made, GTL but I don't know. I'll usually buy the QS and spend the difference on some bananas and limes.

quaker state.jpg

Make the decision based on which has the better price at the time. QSFS has a better everyday price, but Pennzoil currently has a $20 rebate available that makes it a better value.

I've used both and don't have a preference for one over the other.

Pennzoil Platinum because it has a $20 rebate right now. Otherwise go for price (Quaker State).

Quaker State costs less because it's marketing budget is only a fraction of that of Pennzoil's. Shortly after the Shell buyout, the decision was made to make Quaker State available at a lower price point by providing less marketing support. This decision was conveyed to employees at the time.

Thank you. Ahhh, yes, marketing budgets - that makes more sense. I remember in my youth in the early 1960s it was 'Quaker State your car to keep it running young' (when SAE 30 was the go-to)

i just did an oil change this morning on my 22 ford ranger using 6.2 quarts of the new QSUP 5w30. hope it performs well over the next 6 months. if not ill go back to M1 or castrol, whichever is on sale.

Thank you. Ahhh, yes, marketing budgets - that makes more sense. I remember in my youth in the early 1960s it was 'Quaker State your car to keep it running young' (when SAE 30 was the go-to)
Pennzoil and Quaker State merged in 1999 as the numbers 1 & 2 selling PCMOs in the U.S. They were close to being equals in the perception of them being premium brands and their large volume of sales. They were also similar in their financial struggles. Unable to realize economies of scale that the majors did, Pennzoil was struggling and Quaker State was circling the drain. They were selling lots of oil, but the margins were poor. The days of independent Pennsylvania lube companies were over.

I think the PZL-QS merger came about because the two companies were trying to hang on long enough for a major to buy up the company that owned more than half of the PCMO market before their assets were available for pennies on the dollar in bankruptcy liquidation sales.

After Shell scooped them up, it was decided they didn't want their own products competing, so they sought to position them in different segments of the market while still talking advantage of boths brand recognition and loyalty.

Pennzoil has the advertising of Firestone and jiffy lube shops. I’m surprised sopus can’t drop the pennzoil price. I’m currently running pennzoil platinum but seeing Quaker state ultimate protection priced nicely at 22.97. Going to stock up. 🙄👌

Pennzoil has the advertising of Firestone and jiffy lube shops. I’m surprised sopus can’t drop the pennzoil price. I’m currently running pennzoil platinum but seeing Quaker state ultimate protection priced nicely at 22.97. Going to stock up. 🙄👌
Buy it online at wallyworld, free delivery over 35 bucks and it is $2 cheaper online vs the store (well the 5w30 is)

I have not looked at them all, but some of the QS PDS and SDS sheets are practically ringers for the Pennzoil equivalent. As mentioned it’s more about market placement and advertising than anything. Use whichever suits you.
But which one will protect better ?

But which one will protect better ?
If you believe marketing, it's in the name: QS "Ultimate Protection". Unless, somehow using "platinum" tickles your marketing funny-bone more.
I suspect (with no evidence) that either will do well enough (defined by the engine outlasting the rest of the vehicle) for most passenger cars where the approvals are met and the conditions of operating are typical for passenger cars.

Back