Why Do We Complicate Things?

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1318/tribology-lubricant-selection

I guess I have my expectations set different. The above was sort of what I thought I would find. A discussion of how surface defects and boundary layer friction affects viscosity choice, for example. Something with a little more fizz than the crossing of TAN and TBN lines.

There's an excellent read on the value of UOA's in the main page by Doug Hillary, who did extensive fleet testing of lubricants, including the use of UOA's as well as tear downs for numerous OEM's, including ExxonMobil.

There's an excellent read on the value of UOA's in the main page by Doug Hillary, who did extensive fleet testing of lubricants, including the use of UOA's as well as tear downs for numerous OEM's, including ExxonMobil.

Thank you.

Thank you.
You are quite welcome, he was generous enough to send me a copy of his book several years back. He was an incredible asset to this board, not sure if he's still watching it, I haven't seen him participate in quite some time now. I learned an incredible amount about UOA's from him.

You are quite welcome, he was generous enough to send me a copy of his book several years back. He was an incredible asset to this board, not sure if he's still watching it, I haven't seen him participate in quite some time now. I learned an incredible amount about UOA's from him.

That book is a treasure I'm sure.

His discussion of trend analysis was clearly written and digestible.

I miss the good ol' days when I bought an oil because of the name and bottle. I liked Valvoline because the name just sounded so... smooth and slick!

Why do we complicate things?
I have a friend with the same engine with 5 years less of the improvements the manufacturer has made to increase durability. 400,000+ mi (7,000 mi OCI) with whatever oil was on the on sale at the local autoparts for the lowest price.

Owner's Manual says API SN and 5W-30 or 0W-30 required. Tell me again why I don't use Traveller's (WPP) 5W-30 at $10 per 5 qt? Instead of looking for some ultra unobtainium $10 a qt oil?
I have used TSC travellers conventional for years, probably 35 years, never any issues oil related as far as I could tell. If TSC oil is out I go for the conventional Shell. Both are at about the same price point in that $11 -$13 range per 5 qt jug. Farmers and ranchers buy it by the drum and use it in their trucks and tractors and other equipment. A farmer is not going to risk putting a low quality oil in their expensive equipment. PQIA has rated it and it meets or exceeds all the tests they do for oil.

Ditto Mystic JT8, which used to be carried by Tractor Supply. It was one of the superior oils (to run of the mill store brands) that almost no one ever heard of ...

Was inexpensive and performed very well in mixed fleet operations.

Ditto Mystic JT8, which used to be carried by Tractor Supply. It was one of the superior oils (to run of the mill store brands) that almost no one ever heard of ...

Was inexpensive and performed very well in mixed fleet operations.

I've used Mystic JT-8 Blend 15W-50 in older diesels with worn bearings. I don't buy Citgo Products so it's a non-starter now

Back