Why Do We Complicate Things?

Why do we complicate things?
I have a friend with the same engine with 5 years less of the improvements the manufacturer has made to increase durability. 400,000+ mi (7,000 mi OCI) with whatever oil was on the on sale at the local autoparts for the lowest price.

Owner's Manual says API SN and 5W-30 or 0W-30 required. Tell me again why I don't use Traveller's (WPP) 5W-30 at $10 per 5 qt? Instead of looking for some ultra unobtainium $10 a qt oil?

Okay, why is a question about why we seek the "ultimate" in pcmo when in reality the vehicle could likely care less as long as met spec not a pcmo related question.

It sounds cooler to say you run Amsoil for 55k mile intervals instead of 5k runs of Traveler oil. In reality though, with coupons/rebates you can often get a synthetic for just a few dollars more than the cheapest oils.

I recently gave up the attempt to get Mobile1 & Pennzoil Platinum for a low price after rebate, when I realized I could get Kirkland branded Warren made oil at the same price, without going through the rebate process. So I guess I'm in the same boat. If I were going 12-15K for OCIs I'd probably roll the dice on the name brand oils, but not for shorter intervals.

I recently gave up the attempt to get Mobile1 & Pennzoil Platinum for a low price after rebate, when I realized I could get Kirkland branded Warren made oil at the same price, without going through the rebate process. So I guess I'm in the same boat. If I were going 12-15K for OCIs I'd probably roll the dice on the name brand oils, but not for shorter intervals.
You can get Havoline PRO DS oil at WM for $17.97 a 6 qt. box.

Use whatever makes you happy.

I totally agree ^^^^^^^^

I have used 28 different oils in my Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe...

Now at 313,000 miles and the car still runs very good.

I have given Ceratec a run in my car recently. Now I have the Liqui Moly mos2 in there now... Only 5 percent concentration level. Does run a bit quieter now. My ears are tuned fairly well. One time I had to borrow my step father's 96 Toyota Avalon and it had been 2 years since I had driven it. I drove the car for just a half a mile with the windows up and the car sounded loud to what I remembered it running like before. Checked the oil level and the stick was dry. Went to AZ and ended up adding 1 and 3/4 qts of oil to get it full. My ears work pretty good. Maybe because in my line of work I had to use them a lot with a stethoscope. I heard a resident's heartbeat that was not good or stable. Well a day later he refused to go to the hospital... He passed away the next am... Heart related.

And mechanics certainly use their hearing as well at times. May not always be definitive or diagnostic... But it can point one in the direction to start looking in for a problem.

Back